Whinning noise coming from z24 - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Whinning noise coming from z24
Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:36 PM
Hey I was wondering If anyone knew or had this problem before my 00 z24 2.4 makes a weird winning noise when driving and at idle I checked the belts and it's good and it's not the power steering cus it does it on idle also im stumped it just happened can it be due to the weather? It's coming from the engine. Any opions?

Re: Whinning noise coming from z24
Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:48 PM
it could be the powersteering pump being low on fluid it could be the alternator starting to go or it could be the AC compressor pully, check those if the pwr steering is low on fluid its probably leaking out the pwr steering fluid cooler (if equiped)

you could pop the belt off and see if the noise goes away if it does you know its alt/ac/tensoner pully really not much can go wrong on that side for accessorys with the 2.4

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:37 AM
^^^^good advise.

A good way to locate a noise is to use a large screwdriver as a stethescope(spelling?).

Put the handle to your ear/temple....put the bussiness end on the various noise making spots....you'll find it.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:38 AM
The majotiry of complaints that I have seen like yours have been the low power streering fluid.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:38 AM
whinning? like matt said the power steering if not it could possibly the alternator my car does that

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 2:46 PM
id check the alt
Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:51 PM
if a bearing is gone its usually a growl so that should pretty much eliminate the tensioner. but if i were to guess i would say start with your power steering fluid level if it shows on the dip stick then its not that, the pwr steering pump has to be almost empty for it to whine

or Alternator really those are the to common things that will whine

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:02 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm gonnna check power steering and if it's full It ain't that I checked the belts again and inspected it it has little bit of tread I'm not sure if u can call it tread and if I replace that and it's still doing that probaly the power steering
Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:34 PM
Craig Lewis wrote:^^^^good advise.

A good way to locate a noise is to use a large screwdriver as a stethoscope(spelling?).

Put the handle to your ear/temple....put the business end on the various noise making spots....you'll find it.

try to avoid sticking your head into the fan though....

Saturday, December 26, 2009 2:06 PM
there could also be air in the ps system, if you check it after driving it. if it's frothy, you may want to try the bleed procedure. ie lift the front end, run the motor to about 2500-3000 rpm and then spin the wheel lock to lock several times.

if you don't think it the ps pump, you can remove the belt as siad and if no noise it tensioner, alt or a/c, turn the motor off with the belt off, spin the pulleys back and forth, you can usually tell which one it is.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search