My Air Ride setup simplified. - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My Air Ride setup simplified.
Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:04 PM
Okay you all remember my other post about the air ride setup i bought and the ass load of wires there was, well i removed all the digital monitoring stuff and am left with this. is this all thats needed to go mechanical? just a power to the compressor, power and ground to the box and ground off the valves? Also would I need to throw a switch up front for the compressor to turn it on and off manually to build air? thanks guys, PS all the digital stuff is for sale, first offer takes it all i dont want it.

Heres all the digital stuff I removed from the setup.

Re: My Air Ride setup simplified.
Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:50 PM
Better!

look into a 175-200psi pressure switch that will mount to your tank. It will have a remove switch, ground and positive in and positive out for your compressor. The compressor will turn on automatically when the pressure of the tank is below 175psi and turn off when it hits 200. Also make sure you fuse the power to your compressor, and fuse the power to the box that distributes to the solenoids.

Good luck with everythings else... and be sure to get an alignment after you install the struts!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:52 PM

Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:19 PM
Thanks Matt! So it's good to go? Just wire what i got their up and connect everything? Thanks for your reply and Matt heres the thing on my tank, the blue ended wire from the compressor in the pic here the guy says you plug onto one of the prongs on that solenoid or whatever it is on the side of the tank......and whats the yellow wire from the compressor, power?
Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:20 PM
Almost forgot the pictures lol

IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d175/yhandor/IMG_0640.jpg[/IMG]

Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:24 PM
Yhandor wrote:Thanks Matt! So it's good to go? Just wire what i got their up and connect everything? Thanks for your reply and Matt heres the thing on my tank, the blue ended wire from the compressor in the pic here the guy says you plug onto one of the prongs on that solenoid or whatever it is on the side of the tank......and whats the yellow wire from the compressor, power?

If you you mean the pressure switch (top close to the right in the picture) then NO. The pressure switch will not like passing the current required by the compressor. You must run a relay or solenoid- which is switched on and off by the pressure switch.
I cant tell by the picture what on/off pressures the switch has but avoid high pressures. Generally 160psi is enough for any properly set up vehicle (should generally get full lift at less than 100psi if everything is properly matched) and over 160psi gets abusive on compressors especially if you are only running one.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:28 PM
plug the one into the side of the air take and the other is a ground only 2 wire off the comp are power and ground

Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:31 PM
That black plug thing is for the digital stuff just havent taken it off. but the solenoid or whatever closest to the tank, plug the comepressor on the one prong and ground the other? then how does the compressor get power if its power is on that solenoid? this is soooo confusing!
Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:48 PM
If thats a COMPLETE digital setup...I WANT IT!!!

PM me with a price you want for it ASAP!!!

BUY MY SAAB TURBO SETUP! --> http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/61091/
Friday, January 15, 2010 5:37 AM
buy the looks of the pic it looks like its missing the digtal controller to use with the ecm that kit is to be used with normal valves.

Friday, January 15, 2010 6:38 AM
If you wanna sell that big hunk of wires shoot me a pm lol

looks alot beter than last time!

Friday, January 15, 2010 9:27 AM
Yhandor wrote:That black plug thing is for the digital stuff just havent taken it off. but the solenoid or whatever closest to the tank, plug the comepressor on the one prong and ground the other? then how does the compressor get power if its power is on that solenoid? this is soooo confusing!

No. The pressure switch (the one closer to the tank) should not have that much amperage run through it- it is not a solenoid or relay.

Simple explanation (you can google diagrams for a relay or solenoid) run a switced (ignition) power wire to one pron of the pressure switch, the other prong of the pressure switch goes to the switching terminal of a relay or solenoid. The relay or solenoid has a battery feed going in on the power feed terminal, and the compressor red wire is hooked up to the load terminal. The black wire on the compressor is a ground.

_

Friday, January 15, 2010 9:44 AM
ahhhhhhhh so confusing, can anyone come over to my place and help me with it? as for the digital stuff, it has a digital gauge with it and an ethernet cord..........and all the stuff pictured......got it off a member on here, the whole kit, said it was complete, so first one to make a good offer and come get it its yours. Thanks guys, I have read your posts, but I dont understand it yet, if the compressor power wire is on the prong of that pressure switch(145-175, i looked at it), how will it turn on if there is no power to it? So confused, my first time ever dealing with air ride or anything of this nature. thanks!
Friday, January 15, 2010 4:25 PM
The one wire with the connector on it (on the compressor) goes to the switch on the tank. The other wire on the compressor goes to ground.

There was no digital controller with that kit. There is that gauge, but its not the controller.

The other prong on the pressure switch..... before there was a signal sent to the brain, then to a relay, then to the switch, which powered the compressor.
Friday, January 15, 2010 4:34 PM
So what do i do lol about the pressure switch
Friday, January 15, 2010 5:43 PM
You don't technically need to add a relay between your pressure switch and the compressor, but it is recommended if the pressure switch does not have the proper wiring to handle high load.
Easy street pressure switches can be hooked up directly.

With Relay.

This.......Diagram

With-out Relay

This... Diagram [This is a 2 switch set up (both fronts go up and down, both rears go up and down)]
Wire the solenoids individually with independent switches, and you can control each bag on their own.
http://www.easystreetair.com/manuals/27741.pdf

This.... Pressure switch to buy. (for anyone else reading this thread)
http://www.kmwperformance.com/product/VIA-90118

or if you have a 380 Viair... this is recommended. (Which it looks like you have)
http://easystreetair.com/145-175psipressureswitch.aspx

This.....
http://www.airridetalk.com/wiring-info.html

I hope I can't make this any easier.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 15, 2010 5:54 PM

Friday, January 15, 2010 5:49 PM
Okay thanks Matt just a question, for the power wire to the pressure switch, do I have to use sub wiring? or just normal skinny wire? and just put a 15amp fuse on that line? thanks!
Friday, January 15, 2010 6:11 PM
If you have a relay inbetween the compressor and pressure switch you can use 18 awg as recommended in the first diagram (all this is, is a trigger wire to turn on the compressor) This is recommended.

If you run the compressor straight to the pressure switch do 2 things 1) make sure the switch can handle the amperage from your compressor 2) make sure you have a proper terminal that will fit from the wire onto the pressure switch. The power CAN NOT be ran directly to your battery, it must be ran to a fuse box that powers when the ignition is ON.
See page 8 on the easystreet manual on the link above.

From what I remember (not being around my car) a typical compressor will need a 30amp inline fuse from the fuse box running at least 8 awg wiring not 15amp. With the J-body, accessing and installing a 8 awg wire on the fuse box is not easy.

To make Life easier, if you buy the pressure switch I posted above that has the 4 wires, you can run the 8 awg wiring direct from your battery. (this is how I have my set up)

Also, to the left of the pressure switch you have already on your tank is the air tank transducer for the digital kit (the black thing). Take this off... it's not needed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 15, 2010 6:16 PM

Friday, January 15, 2010 6:19 PM
At the end of the day....

If you still dont get it, I will seriously drive to your house to wire this up (please let this be the last resort)
but I you will be charged a hefty fee for me to do it hahaha

Friday, January 15, 2010 6:28 PM
Well I just need to know the wire size lol to run to the pressure switch I dont wanna run a huge wire and then gotta yank it back out to put a small one in and I got no money Matt!!!! I dont have a relay, jusat the pressure switch mounted on the side of the tank. thanks
Friday, January 15, 2010 7:52 PM
if you have no money you should not have air ride

Friday, January 15, 2010 8:48 PM
Easy Greg. Hey suicidedoors.com checkout isnt working, i need this, the line from the compressor to the tank, (Viair Leader Hose 3/8" X 3/8" NPT) that steel braded one with the built in check valve for 18.99......anyone got one kickin around? The one that Matt gave me with the kit was blown. thanks and i still need to know about the wire!

Friday, January 15, 2010 9:59 PM

The pressure switch in the picture will not safely handle the amperage draw of a compressor- you must run a relay. Its another case of just because it may work, doesnt mean you should do it (and to the best of my knowledge it will not work) Run at least 8ga from the battery to the relay. The size from switched ignition to pressure switch doesnt matter.
On a standard relay pin 85 and 86 are pressure switch and ground (interchangeable- doesnt matter which is which) 30 is battery feed, 87 is load (compressor) Dont use 87a if there is one since thatwil do the opposite of what you want(it will turn the compressor on when the relay is deactivated and off when it is activated)
You also dont need to worry about---

'Well I just need to know the wire size lol to run to the pressure switch I dont wanna run a huge wire and then gotta yank it back out to put a small one in '

You wont need to put smaller wire in, as a general rule (yes there may be some exceptions) go overkill on wire size, you wont be dissapointed that you did. Do it right, do it once. I guess in the end its up to you how you do it, but these are recomendations from past experience- i dont think there is any more help i can give over the internet.

This leaves me with a question that i have been wondering since the first post- you arent using scissors for doing wiring are you?

_

Friday, January 15, 2010 11:27 PM
Ohhh lol no no I had the scissors out to cut the duct tape and all the electrical tape off of that huge bundle i took off......it was taped enough to survive a bomb squad lol. So where do I get this relay, i will pop a few off that digital crap and post pics of them to see if they work......and anyone got on of those SS braided lines from compressor to tank layin around? I need one I dont got one, and looking possibly for someone to come help with the wiring, I am new to it and I know it may seem easy to some of you but not to me lol. You learn from experience, and i have none in air ride lol. So thanks for the replies and hopefully you guys continue to be this helpful! Cant wait its gonna be sick once its in.
Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:26 AM
Heres the relay I have, it has 4 prongs on the bottom of it. can anyone sketch up a quick Paint diagram on how to wire this baby

Saturday, January 16, 2010 2:39 PM
The pins should be labeled (in small writing) on the other side. Use what i wrote above or do a quick online search- should be very easy to find.

_

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search