How would I sell my car? - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How would I sell my car?
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:23 AM
I'm really just curious at the moment. I don't think I'm ready to part with it yet, but my car's been sitting still for years now and I'm wondering whether I'm ever going to find the motivation to move forward with building it or whether I should let it go to make room for something different.

My question though, is simple. If I decided to sell it... how would I do so? Has anyone here bought a car that was already more than a little modified? I'm wondering if the buyer would be able to get insurance in Ontario or whether I'd need to sell it to someone outside the province.

It's probably just a hypothetical question since I doubt anyone would pay what I'd need to get to justify letting it go.

Re: How would I sell my car?
Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:56 PM
you can get insurance on what ever you want, just depends on how much $ u have lol, wouldn't think there would be much to worry about with your car in ontario

Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:47 PM
If anything it would be harder to market and sell outside of Ontario...

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Friday, October 21, 2011 8:07 AM
Really? Have things changed? A few years back, it was a serious hassle to insure a car with more than very minor mods. I was told you had to go to facility and pay out the wazoo.

Has anyone here bought an already-modded car and dealt with it?

I'm sure most just haven't told their insurance companies about the changes...

I'm also wondering how much I could conceivably get for it. I mean... for $7k it would be gone tomorrow... but I don't really expect anyone to pay more than $5k and at that point and lower... it starts to not be worth the effort. It might be worth it to just clean out my garage and make room for a 2nd car in there.

Hell... I'd expect people to value it around $3k or so... but when you go that low, it suddenly makes a lot more sense to part it out... which I have no intention of doing.

Oh... the dilemmas...

Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:39 PM
Depends on what you have done to it. If theres alot of mods, its usually easier to get more money by parting it out. Try to figure out what each part is worth (ie. hood ~$300, wheels ~$500, etc). From what I can see in your signature, wheels, lip kit, hood, big brakes? and use that as a judgement on what to do. Going to take a long time, if ever, before someone is going to pay 7g's for a 10yr old Jbody

BUY MY SAAB TURBO SETUP! --> http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/61091/
Saturday, October 22, 2011 10:15 PM
Well, you never know.

Used car prices are getting nuts Prices I've seen within the last week:

2004 Cav sedan (base) 77k ,$7995.00
2001 Cav sedan (LS) 113k, $5995.00
2003 Sunfire coupe ,89k, $6995.00

I have yet to see a 2000+ J in decent shape go for under 3k......

Damn Scary......I so wish I was joking.....

Sunday, October 23, 2011 3:04 PM
Yes, those are the prices you see....but do you know any idiots buying them for that price? I didn't think so lol

Monday, October 24, 2011 6:52 AM
Adam, have a look at my profile to see everything that's done. I'd almost certainly do better by parting it out, but would much prefer to believe that the car is still intact and being enjoyed by someone who appreciates it.

I notice you bought JP's car. I'm sure he felt the same way.

How long ago did you buy it? Did you have any issues getting insurance?

Dave... that's definitely encouraging.

I figure that if the base car's value is around $2k-$3k... it's an 01 will around 100k km's... then if someone buys it who would want to otherwise mod it then the value adds up quick.

I mean... the supercharger, heated leather seats, brake kit, body kit, and wheels all add up to well over another $3k, even as used parts. I'd really just need to have the right buyer come along and want it.

Monday, October 24, 2011 5:38 PM
Read through it quickly, and Id say if you can get 5g's, you did okay. But like I said, part it out if you want more coin for a future project. Plus, would you really want to see your car being driven by someone else? lol.

I bought JP's car just over 2 years ago now. When he sold it to me, it wasn't really modified at all. Destroyed front bumper, rk wing, and lowered. Never have any problems with insurance either. If you tell them its been modified, then they may raise your premium, and have you take it to a shop to make sure the mods are legal/safe

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:31 AM
No... I don't particularly want to see anyone else driving it. That's one of the big reasons I haven't tried to sell it so far and why I'm asking for more than I expect to get for it.

My "future project" is probably 5 to 10 years down the road, so I'm in no hurry at all. I just figured it's something I should start looking into as it becomes more and more likely that I'm not going to pick up where I left off, and instead will probably go down some other road to fill my automotive lusting.

Friday, December 30, 2011 10:26 PM
Kevin! Long time.

Hope you've been doing well.

I'm in the same boat as you believe it or not. The car's been sitting there and I just haven't gone ahead to put it up for sale yet. I was going to go with the forums and then use auto trader. Since it's been sitting in the garage I'd assume your not in a rush to sell right away? Put it up for sale and just see how it goes. For insurance...yes, it's still hard to get coverage with the mods. There are companies that will do it still though...all depends really.

You can probably get 5-7k for the car. Yes, parting out you'd probably get more, but I don't see the point in going through the troubles part it out...sell it as is would be best.

Funny...I drive a Mazda 3 now! Nice signature pic .

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:14 AM
Yeah, I seem to be doing ok. How 'bout you?

Glad to hear insurance won't be a show-stopper. Yeah... I'm in no hurry at all to sell it so I haven't really put in an effort. I figure it's not depreciating anymore so it doesn't really matter. For the moment, it's saving me money on insurance since it gives me a multi-car discount. The discount saves more than the cost of comprehensive-only insurance on the car.

I won't need to sell it for at least 5 years or so when I'll need the garage space for my new sports car... whatever that may turn out to be.

Did you get the Speed3?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:40 AM
Kev, the only real way to sell it is to part it and put it back to stock condition. Fortunately you stuck to bolt-ons so that wouldn't me the *most* arduous process, just painful.

Long time no talk, btw. Glad to see things are going well.

You still keep in touch with Chad and Mexi-Ken?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:02 AM
I'll never put the car back to stock. If I ever parted it out, what's left would end up going to the wrecker on a flat-bed. There's just too many parts that would be needed to build a complete car again.

I ran into Chad not too long ago at Union Station and hear from Ken every now and then. Neither have been in regular contact though. I'm not sure what Chad's up to these days, but I'm pretty sure Ken's life has been completely taken over by his kids so he doesn't have time for anything else any more. :lol

How are things on your end? You still have your Sunfire, right? How's life treating you?

It's funny... we've all been around so long that we've gone from aspirational 20-something's to near-middle-aged folks thinking about mid-life crisis cars and retirement plans.

Some day we should hold the j-body equivalent of a high-school reunion.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:19 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:Some day we should hold the j-body equivalent of a high-school reunion.

It'd be funny to see who's still driving their J, all those years later.

The cav went 14.330 @ 96.37mph. I'm sure the G8 will be a bit faster...one of these days I'll get it to the track!
Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:44 PM
Ironically most of my cars got older.

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:38 AM

^^Very cool

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search