Looking for REALLY CHEAP 2.4L with low Kms - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Looking for REALLY CHEAP 2.4L with low Kms
Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:34 PM
Heey I'm Looking for a really cheep 2.4L Dohc with Under 150k on it Will not pay more then $325 for motor, I live in Sudbury Ontario and willing to drive depending on your location, Let me know what you got thanks Also My car Just blew it's 4th motor, am I doing something wrong? the car is a 4speed automatic and is a 2001 Z24 cavalier.

Re: Looking for REALLY CHEAP 2.4L with low Kms
Friday, March 23, 2012 3:13 AM
You are clearly the reason they keep blowing. Start keeping up with your maintenance beating the crap out of it every chance you get. I have gotten a tonne of km out of my 2.4, and I wasnt always nice to it, but I made sure to keep up on my oil changes.

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:18 PM
I keep up with my oil changes every 3000kms plus I never drive the car hard or abuse it. I bought the car it had blown it's second motor I put a motor in it, and it blew so I put another and it also blew I don't abuse or beat the crap out of it at all
Friday, March 23, 2012 4:10 PM
I've got 238,000 WELL worn km on mine, it's been boosted for 8 years, and not a single hiccup. Trust me this engine has been beat on, and beat on quite hard.

You fail at LD9.

The cav went 14.330 @ 96.37mph. I'm sure the G8 will be a bit faster...one of these days I'll get it to the track!
Friday, March 23, 2012 7:20 PM
Every single motor that has gone in it has spun one or more crank barrings and begins to knock, even my older brother had the same problem with his 2000 Z24 manual, it spun a barring around 150k, my car is bone stalk nothing has been done to it at all, I put a 2.4 out of a 97 z24 into my 2001 and the only think that did not work was the knock sensor for the crank, so I left it unplugged could that have fried my barrings? and is it possible to just change the crank barrings? I really like the car and I'd hate to scrap it but if it does not get fixed soon unfortunately I will have to.
Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:53 PM
Stalk? Barrings? Hell you need to spend more time in school and less time blowing up LD9s.

The cav went 14.330 @ 96.37mph. I'm sure the G8 will be a bit faster...one of these days I'll get it to the track!
Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:50 AM
What in the world are LD9's? and a engine has something called connecting rod and crank barrings I think your the one who needs to spend more time in school.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:43 AM
he's making fun of you. you mean bearings btw. What Bill is trying to say is that LD9's aka the 2.4 twin cam motor are temperamental if you don't keep an eye on them. I had an ld9 shear the oil pump drive sprocket and drove it for 30 kms with no oil flow it didn't start knocking. But i was anal about the oil level in that car as you have to be. If you are going through so many, you are either buying motors that are on their last legs or there's something else going on here. the problem with buying used ones is that most people that would have owned one likely wouldn't have bothered with maintenance and once you run them low on oil and go through a corner you get oil starvation and spin bearings. As for only looking for really cheap motors, you will perpetrate your own misery. if you buy the cheaper higher km motors they wont last as long.

and this line
"and a engine has something called connecting rod and crank barrings I think your the one who needs to spend more time in school." will just bring more hate seeing as both of those two have been or are gm techs.

Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:33 PM
Is it Possible for me to just change the Connecting rod Bearings? I'm only fixing it to sell it I'm looking for a S-10, Sonoma, Blazer, or Jimmy ZR-2 4x4 for the place I live a 4x4 vehicle is alot better.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:45 PM
Better off to sell it as it is or scrap it then
Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:17 PM
not much point in pulling the motor apart to fix it so you can sell it, would be better off parting most stuff out and scrapping the shell with the motor in it

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:28 PM
To me it's worth it because the car is still in amazing shape with no rust at all on it, and everything else is still 100% good I just got it certified like 4 months ago, so all the breaks are new whole front end is new car is good, only problem is the motor keeps going lol, and connecting rod bearings are about $92 for a set, and I have a spear motor thats already out with a spun bearing so I was just going to fix that motor and scrap the other one with my 1997 z24 parts car. Also are any of you interested in a set of toyota cavalier tail light? I have a set with the harness Just don't feel like putting them in my car anymore.
Monday, March 26, 2012 7:33 AM
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:48 PM
Whatcha want for the tails with the harness?

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:56 PM
I herd they were worth good money, here's a link to the add http://sudbury.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-auto-body-parts-Toyota-Cavalier-tail-lights-W0QQAdIdZ365351416 for pictures and make me an offer I can't refuse
Monday, April 02, 2012 8:43 AM
Swap in an Ecotec and call it a day.

Seriously tho, I've seen 2.4 near the 300,000km range and running mint.

If your on your 4th then something is definitely wrong chum.

I'm also from Sudbury, probably seen you around.

Monday, April 02, 2012 6:51 PM
I'd Love to do that but not 100% sure how? would I have to change my wireing harness, transmission, and computer?
Sunday, April 08, 2012 8:31 AM
I have 212, 000 on my original 2.4 motor when i sold it

I ran Mobil 1 oil from when i bought it with 120,xxx km's on it

They are known to blow

I would keep the car if its mint and just swap a Ecotec 2.2 in it and be done with it

Monday, April 09, 2012 6:20 AM
I'm have one with 232000 on it. Beat the @!#$ out of it everyday and it was supercharged no problems runs like a dream
Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:26 AM
I have one with 138,000 rebuilt at 110,000... Im selling the whole car...
Car also has HIDs centre force dual friction clutch machined flywheel upper and lower urethane motor mounts etc etc etc (tons of mods)
Will sell the whole car real cheap. Let me know if you're interested
nathanielshuker@hotmail.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search