Cost of replacing wheel bearing - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cost of replacing wheel bearing
Friday, August 08, 2008 10:46 AM
Hey Guys,

I need to replace my wheel bearings on my 98 cav. and I got quoted $250 for the hub and assembly + $80-120 for labour. This seems a little expensive for me. Anybody know what the average cost should be? I;m in the toronto area.

Thanks

Re: Cost of replacing wheel bearing
Friday, August 08, 2008 10:49 AM

PM Phewes...
He just did both of his..

Friday, August 08, 2008 12:05 PM
Cheapie wheel bearings are $89 + tax at NAPA... expensive ones are about $130 with tax. Ditto Canadian Tire.

So you're getting raped on the bearing/hub assembly.

Replacing them isn't hard but if you're gonna pay to get them done, that rate isn't bad at all.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, August 09, 2008 2:41 PM
what you were quoted is about right 1hour labor and the price of the bearing the thing that hurts is the bearing because in 98 they went from the sensor and ring to an internal abs sensor thats why these bearings are so pricey if i was closer to you i would come do it for less than what they quoted you
Saturday, August 09, 2008 3:12 PM
Ummm I have yet to find a J car with a sensor that is internal to the hub assembly. Try again.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 3:18 PM
I can do the job for $250 parts included.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 3:23 PM
please tell me that quote for the hub and bearing assembly is for both sides, if it's for one, you need to find somewhere new to go.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 7:08 PM
So your saying my 2000 does not have an internal sensor sorry try again because it does the head mechanic was a little surprised himself because the only thing he had done was 95 through 97 and i've had to replace both twice finally i got fed up and put in non abs and cracked the led to the abs light and T/C off light no annoying lights nor having to pull the ebrake one click or dropping two gears to disengage the T/C
Saturday, August 09, 2008 8:06 PM
j bodys do not have a internal sensor they have a ring on the axle for the ABS.

i can get the chepo bearings for 45 dollars and the good one for 89.99 at carquest

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:03 AM
okay about this pricing you al must remember he went to a garage which means he's not getting trade pricing on any uf his parts he's getting list because my prices are the same trough work i just don't like t/c so i put the non abs in
Sunday, August 10, 2008 4:14 PM
Come to think of it the rears do have an integral tone ring, but I have yet to see one go bad. Its always the fronts.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:22 PM
brandon smith wrote:what you were quoted is about right 1hour labor and the price of the bearing the thing that hurts is the bearing because in 98 they went from the sensor and ring to an internal abs sensor thats why these bearings are so pricey if i was closer to you i would come do it for less than what they quoted you

that's not true, I've taken wheel bearings from a 97 and put them in an 02 and there the same, from 95-05 for sure...

1997 Sunfire SE

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:46 AM
Thanks for all your responses guys, but I couldnt wait and had to get it done. They did offer me $70 off the part price to make it 170, which still seems a bit pricey. Next time i will difinitely ask around here well before i have to get something done.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008 10:53 AM
well I get mine done at the dealership, so I won't say how much they cost me

I replace one nearly every year, and I am just sick (actually lazy) to do it myself anymore, so the last year I took it in. Which reminds me, I need to take it in for both fronts next week.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:07 AM
Jacob wrote:well I get mine done at the dealership, so I won't say how much they cost me

I replace one nearly every year, and I am just sick (actually lazy) to do it myself anymore, so the last year I took it in. Which reminds me, I need to take it in for both fronts next week.

Same price to you. $250 parts and labour for both sides

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 9:08 PM
ive done mine. all u need is a bearing if thats all thats broken. i think i paid 80 for labour

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search