Turboing a Z24 2.4? - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turboing a Z24 2.4?
Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:12 PM
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 98 Cavi Z24 5 speed......and spring time ish, after i install the air ride im buyin off Mr.Choo, I am planning on Turboing the Cavi as well......not looking for it to haul ass, just to have the spooling/blowoff , I have looked at these 2 ebay kits, I know a few people who have used ebay turbo kits on their civics here and no problems so I just want it to have the sound and look of the IC in the front.....and no one would expect a turbo cavi......anyways here are links to both kits

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNIVERSAL-T3-T4-TURBO-KIT-CAVALIER-SUNFIRE-2-2L-2-4L-V6_W0QQitemZ250520523222QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a542fd1d6
http://cgi.ebay.ca/JDMS-1998-2002-CAVALIER-2-4L-T3-T4-TURBO-KIT-99-00-01_W0QQitemZ120458949853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0be9b4dd

Which of these kits is better? and I know Ill need a to buy a turbo manifold off eBay as well, my question is how do i do all this, and what about a downpipe, I cant find anywhere that would sell one for turbo kits....plus any suggestions, or tips would be greatly appreciated, ive tore apart my supercharged GTP many times, but never done a turbo setup before and plan on doing this on my own.......and im going to go with a stage 2 clutch and full 2.5 inch exhaust with hi flow cat........and also I have a set of stock injectors out of my Grand Prix GTP, the clips look the same, so if I need a bigger pump and injectors after turbo, could I use the stock GTPs, I believe they are 33lbs? Thanks and hope i can gather enough info to do this next year!

Re: Turboing a Z24 2.4?
Friday, October 30, 2009 4:30 AM
neither you don't turbo a 2.4 that has over 300,000kms you pushed your luck getting it to run with that high of kms

Friday, October 30, 2009 7:01 AM
Oh I was gonna get a low KM motor and tranny beforehand
Friday, October 30, 2009 4:28 PM
If you're gonna buy a ebay turbo kit, at the very least make sure the turbo is some sort of good name brand. like garret, etc... It would prob be better to piece together a kit with good name brands. Most of the ebay kits suck and the turbos are cheap chinese crap.
Friday, October 30, 2009 6:36 PM
PM Wayders.....I believe he still has a 2.4 kit for sell

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Friday, October 30, 2009 8:43 PM
PM sent to WAYDERS
Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:40 PM
Still looking for information !
Saturday, October 31, 2009 2:46 PM
Duly note that both of those extremely low quality "kits" don't include a manifold for an LD9...

Or any want to add fuel, bigger injectors, any spark control, and any proof that what's included is all you need for an LD9. (looks like it isn't)

Lastly. No name turbo/bpv/wastegate/boost controller = huge thumbs down.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Saturday, October 31, 2009 3:20 PM
yeah i dont want to go fast, not going to be beating the hell out of it, just for the sound......i plan on putting a nice sounding BOV on it........and ebay sells a turbo manifold also, but what to do about a downpipe???? anyone got ideas??? And I know a guy who does incar tuning on my gtp who can tune my cavalier incar when its all said and done....
Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:35 PM
i give your car a month tops before either the kit blows up or your engine dose, that's IF you even get it running on that kit.

It doesn't matter whether you want the sound , the look, or a million hose power. DON'T cheap out, buy a proper kit, and don't buy no name @!#$. You gotta pay to play my friend.

I can vouch for wayders and the turbo stuff he has

if you just want the sound, buy on of them fake blow offs that go in your exhaust, that way your not out the grand or so for the @!#$ty ebay kit, and what ever a new motor cost when yours curplods.

Sunday, November 01, 2009 12:16 AM
Yeah understandable but WAYDERS isnt replying i sent him a pm asking to buy this turbo kit he has...I know of 2 people with the same kit and their cars have ran fine for a year on it......and they beat the living hell out of it, thats my own experience with it, also went froma 16.2 to a 13.8 with that kit too, but not looking into numbers for me.....i am gentle to the car, so it shouldnt be so bad if i go that way? should it? BUT ill look at options, can i get some links to other 2.4 turbo kits? thanks guys

Sunday, November 01, 2009 7:11 AM
o we'll then, if the 2 guys with the civics got it to work, than by all means buy one....hell buy 3!!!

you asked for the opinions from the guys hear and you got them, the final answer is the ebay kits you posted as @!#$, and don't even come with what you need to make it work...so take that as you want, You seem to be trying to justify buying the kit, its your money, buy it if you think its great.......but every signal person that knows anything about what they are talking about will tell you its a POS, don't waste your cash....

you pm'd wayde on the 30th, its now the 1st.....that's 2 days, both of which are weekend days...wayde doesn't come on hear a hole lot to begin, and hes a busy man, usually hammered all weekend....so give him a few days at-least, i guarantee you'll have an reply by wednesday.

IIRC there isn't really any "KITS" for the 2.4 other than hann, you should be looking to piece together a kit with quity name brand parts, take a look threw sweetness builds, he knows his @!#$. Aswell it would be a good idea to take a look around the "boost" section at other poeples kits...will give you a good idea at what ya need

and for the last time, is doesn't matter if you want just the sound and be gentle on it...buy quality, we aint talking about ebay sturt bars or tail lights...your looking at parts that will either keep your car running, or blow it up.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, November 01, 2009 8:29 AM

Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:45 AM
Gary Frank wrote:you pm'd wayde on the 30th, its now the 1st.....that's 2 days, both of which are weekend days...wayde doesn't come on hear a hole lot to begin, and hes a busy man, usually hammered all weekend....so give him a few days at-least, i guarantee you'll have an reply by wednesday.

lol lol

still got the turbo kit bud, but i have someone interested, ill let ya know

Monday, November 02, 2009 9:59 PM
Still regardless, what do i do for a downpipe which ever way i choose to go?
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 5:55 AM
Buy my motor and tranny and sell ur exhaust. Go get a 3-inch mandrel-bent exhaust and 2.5 inch down pipe then modifiy ur oil pan and go buy waydes turbo and toss in those injectors it comes with and set ur boost to 10 lbs.. And if you want go buy a 2.3 oil pump and modify the oil pan and go get it tuned, set ur rpm to 7g and there you go ur done lol
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:48 AM
I would buy it but its not drop n and go.....you mentioned work it needs i dont know how to do and dont want to pay someone money to do.....probably just get a really low KM stock motor........waiting on wayders if his buyer falls through, and I dont need 10lbs 6-8 is fine for me, im not gonna beat the piss outta it.
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 1:02 PM
^^ Its boost.....yes you will

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:17 PM
my turbo kit sold

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 3:14 PM
sounds like you need to do more research before you boost anything.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:36 PM
the cam pack is coming out tomorrow and going to the machine shop so it will have a cam pad sensor and the 95+ power steering will work again... Dumb LGO power steering lol... So the engine will be ready at the end of the month. l also have a spare bottom end thats ready to go to the machine shop and then have it built thats if you decide to build the bottom end 1 day...? The car runs just fine! its just in batch mode which means all 4 injectors are shooting fuel so which cause it to burn more fuel due to no cam pad sensor which will be taken care of lol it will need a tune and will need to get a wideband as well so yeah thats it. And just incase heres 2 videos of the car running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQwAz1icQyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZLg5UzxY4&NR=1

Enjoy And another member drove the car and it had a exhaust leak at that time lol
Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:29 AM
well idont want it going through gas like a pig...thats why i got this car, my supercharged grand prix that runs 13s is a PIG on gas.....10.4 MPG average.....just ridiculous and its my daily driver...cant afford the gas for it its that bad

Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:20 AM
hey Yhandor i decided that lm gonna keep my car and finsh it up. But either way good luck with your car and if nething try and find ur self a 2000+ motor n tranny for your car cause eventually you will realize how crappy those isziu trannys are when you start to put power into your car but whatever thats just my 2 cents
Saturday, November 14, 2009 12:44 PM
Yhandor wrote:well idont want it going through gas like a pig...thats why i got this car, my supercharged grand prix that runs 13s is a PIG on gas.....10.4 MPG average.....just ridiculous and its my daily driver...cant afford the gas for it its that bad

you must have something wrong with your grand prix get it look at because you shouldn't have an issue with fuel ecconomy if you NOT on the gas the 3800 is a very good motor for power and fuel ecconomy so you are either too hard on it for day to day use or somethings not right

i know my 3800 NA in my GP and my 3800 SC are about hte same on fuel and i get the same amount of KM per tank on my cav with the 3800sc as i did on my 97 sunfire GT with a 2.4 i get about 37MPG to a tank

the thing about boosted car is usually you get great fuel ecconomy if you off the gas but if your on it watch the needle move its basicly if your not needing that power its not there saving you fuel

i think you need to get some more research before buying a kit or better yet build your own kit you get better stuff and can route things the way you want them routed be more satisfied then just bolting it on and having what everone else has.

this site goes in swings some years we get only bolt on members around and other years its like someones inveting something new every week

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search