If you're bored tomorrow and want to see my e-turbo... - Canadian Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
If you're bored tomorrow and want to see my e-turbo...
Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:06 PM
I'm having a sort of mini-meet for people to come check it out.

Tomorrow (Wednesday, May 8th) at the Canadian Tire on Rylander just off the Port Union exit of the 401 at east Toronto.

If you're interested, drop a note here and let me know you're coming so I'm watching for you.

Here's what I've been up to...

http://www.wildweasel.ca/HowTo/Auto/eturbo.aspx

Re: If you're bored tomorrow and want to see my e-turbo...
Monday, June 03, 2013 5:54 PM
so is theis 'blower' running at a constant RPM? It would seem that it should be able to increase speed proportional to engine speed (although not necessarily directly proportional, would need some rpm vs cfm bench testing). Wouldn't it make more sense to run a shorter belt and not drive the Eaton at all? You would probably see less boost because of the internal volume of the Eaton but the flow would be a deciding factor anyhow regarding power increase. If you are saying there are positive results, I can see it showing an increase on the dyno but I you would be much more hard pressed to see gains on the street/track if it does indeed just run at a constant speed. I would be interested to see how quickly you are losing power from the batteries, I would have thought it should need to be at least 48 volts, but those batteries appear to be lead-acid so that would get heavy and it would be a lot more expensive with a switch to a chemical based battery. The battery would need to be deep cycle also to prevent it needing to be replaced too often. Also, I don't imagine there are any provisions for charging from the vehicles alternator making this set-up only slightly more convenient day to day than nitrous (charging a battery vs refilling a tank) If the batteries do last a fair amount of time, is the motor up to the kind of duty cycle? how long until it overheats etc. There was another, quite large company putting a lot of development into an electric blower but it ran at high voltage and could only run for short periods as it used capacitors in order to provide the motor with the amount of current it needed. However, I remember that having quite a sizeable step-up transmission to allow it to capitalize on the instant torque of an electric motor as they are much less efficient at higher rpms and that kind of compressor would need to be running at rpms in the teens (x1000). Either way, this is just my own conjecture and I would be interested in seeing this in action/dyno/track slips. But I remain skeptical at present

Re: If you're bored tomorrow and want to see my e-turbo...
Friday, June 07, 2013 7:04 AM
Dave - hit up the general forum Kevin had a big post about it as he tracked his progress and reviewed the unit.

He got some very very surprising results.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search