Im Officially Going With Ecotec Swap!! 2.4L 4sale - South East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Im Officially Going With Ecotec Swap!! 2.4L 4sale
Saturday, December 11, 2004 12:19 PM
I Just finished ordering all my ecotec parts.

Total Cost was $1498 which includes:

2003 Cavi Motor And 5 speed tranny
-mounts
-Clutch, flywheel, pressure plate
-all bolts
-starter
-altenator
-Power steering with hoses

2003 CV Joints for the 5 speed tranny
2003 Complete Wireing Harness's with BNC and PCM
2003 Complete Dash With Guage Cluster / Tachometer
2003 Complete Center Console With Shifter Assembly and shift cables
2003 Brake Booster
Brand New 2004 Radiator, along with all the cooling hoses that belong to the motor
2003 Fuel Tank With Fuel Assembly
2003 Clutch Master Cylinder

and he said if i was missing any minor parts, he would give them to me at no cost.

i recieve all the parts on Tuesday Free Shipping

----

So Now I Have to sell all my 2.4L parts so i can pay off the credit card and start buying performance parts for the bitch.

So if anyone is interested in any of my performance parts listed in my registry that pertain to the 2.4L motor, email me with an offer, ill let everything go for cheap, being i dont really have anywhere to store 2 motors.

im selling the head, and block seperate, i was thinking about $100 a piece

i have an ACT 6 puck clutch for the 2.4L and i have a 5 speed isuzu tranny in very good condition, almost new as well.

So if anyone wants to do a 2.4L auto to 5 speed swap let me know, i have the compete wiring harness's and computers to sell as well as the Tranny Mounts with MP Solid Bushings, along with SHifter Assembly with B&M Short Shifter and Shifter Cables.

I Might Be Taking Pictures, i dont know yet, cause i really want to get this done as fast as possible, so if i find one of my friends that doesnt want to get dirty but still wants to help ill hand him the camera.

--
Oh if anyone knows someone who can weld, that would be great, cause im going to have to weld a tranny mount (which i have already ordere from GM) let me know.

-DJ

Re: Im Officially Going With Ecotec Swap!! 2.4L 4sale
Saturday, December 11, 2004 5:31 PM
No welding here but can give you extra set of hands and a camera man....
How about it boys and girls in south florida help Dj out with a welder......
Saturday, December 11, 2004 7:09 PM
well i started to tear down my car today, worked for about 4 hours maybe,
here are some pics of my progress.

im going to try to have my motor out of my car by tomorrow, but lets see how things go.

-DJ
Saturday, December 11, 2004 7:22 PM
and just for the record, i have never done a project this extreme with a car, so i wouldnt be suprised if it doesnt work out the first time :x

I go around problems as well lol, i couldnt disconect that damn Wiring Harness from inside the engine bay, either im dumb, or gm put some blue-green Glue in there, but it wouldnt come apart.

And does anyone know how to remove the wiper arms from the car? i took off the Nut, but they wont slide off, i yanked on them hard too, i used a channel lock to grip them, and they didnt budge. <br>

<br>-DJ

Re: Im Officially Going With Ecotec Swap!! 2.4L 4s
Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:17 PM
how much you looking to get for the tranny?

<br>

Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:28 PM
$550 With Tranny Mounts And Bushings, spare diff, stock clutch and Pressure plate.
or just the tranny for $450.

-DJ
Sunday, December 12, 2004 12:12 AM
Alright, something I have noticed. Which may or may not affect you.

-- You may run into a theftlock situation. You may possibly need the ignition switch off a 2003 and up. We ended up getting one off the 2004 donor I had.

-- I don't see a mention of you getting a ECU??

-- This sounds really stupid but do some measurements before you slide the transmission up. Make sure you don't start blowing the throw out bearing. Those things are not cheap!!!

Hit me up on AIM at LemonYellowCavy if you want more help.

www.teamslowmotion.com/ecotecpics.html <--- Some pics

<br>

Josh
SLK 32

Sunday, December 12, 2004 12:24 AM
I wouldn't remove the inside wiring until you have the other one.
Seems to me like you are missing some parts and stuff.

Also, where are you I can weld, I did weld my brackets on. lol
Acctually I just saw you are in Miami, damn X-mas vacation for me. lol

What plug I have taken the wiring harness out of the engine bay like 30 times, I even take it out sometimes just to work on the motor makes it a lot easier.
If you are talking about the main one then there is a bolt in the middle. The square one.

The wiper arms you take the bolt off and you pull them off, I guess yous are just seized up and stuff, got to do it harder.
Good luck man,

All the Florida people doing the Ecotec swaps AFTER ME!!!!! lol JK Good $hit guys.
SunCavi <br>

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Sunday, December 12, 2004 7:35 AM
Cool thanks for your help, i have a few questions.

LemonYellowCavy wrote:-- You may run into a theftlock situation. You may possibly need the ignition switch off a 2003 and up. We ended up getting one off the 2004 donor I had.

LemonYellowCavy wrote:-- I don't see a mention of you getting a ECU??

ya i wrote called it a PCM

LemonYellowCavy wrote:-- This sounds really stupid but do some measurements before you slide the transmission up. Make sure you don't start blowing the throw out bearing. Those things are not cheap!!!

What do you mean by that explain please.

SunCavi wrote:I wouldn't remove the inside wiring until you have the other one.

if its so i dont forget where everything goes, its ok, its not the first time i disconnect everything under the dash.

SunCavi wrote:Seems to me like you are missing some parts and stuff.

like what :/ i hope im not missing anything, let me know so i can get them, thanks.

SunCavi wrote:Also, where are you I can weld, I did weld my brackets on. lol
Acctually I just saw you are in Miami, damn X-mas vacation for me. lol

lol i dont think i will be finishing by Xmas, this is going to be a every weekend thing, cause i work during the week.

SunCavi wrote:What plug I have taken the wiring harness out of the engine bay like 30 times, I even take it out sometimes just to work on the motor makes it a lot easier.
If you are talking about the main one then there is a bolt in the middle. The square one.

Ya the big one, black and gray, right under the Clutch Resivor. So There is a screw in the middle, ill look into that .

SunCavi wrote:ll the Florida people doing the Ecotec swaps AFTER ME!!!!! lol JK Good $hit guys.

Hell Ya, Your My Hero . lol

Thanks for your help guys, im sure im going to have more questions later on.

-DJ
Sunday, December 12, 2004 7:37 AM
@!#$ i shoulda previewed first lol

Quote:

-- You may run into a theftlock situation. You may possibly need the ignition switch off a 2003 and up. We ended up getting one off the 2004 donor I had.

Did SunCavi Have to change the Ignition Switch as well?

Thanks again

-DJ
Sunday, December 12, 2004 7:48 AM
Nope not me , but I am special. lol

SunCavi <br>

Sunday, December 12, 2004 8:45 AM
Here is some info.

Ecotec swap guide 5 speed.

Ok guys I told you I was going to write I nice guide for a Eco swap, and yes this is SunCavi.
1st of all this is only available to My friends from the ORG and good luck.

I am not even going to bother writing how to pull the 2.4L or the OHV motor or the tranny out because if you don't know how to do it you are not going to be able to do the swap, and please have someone else do it if you really want it.

The parts that are needed for this swap are:
*Engine with full accesiories.
*Alternator
*Starter*
*TB
*power steering pump
*Power steering hoses
*Extend the gas lines
*Cooling hoses both
*Radiator, if you want or just rig the crap out of the old hose
*Complete engine wiring harness
*Headlight wiring harness, unless you wanna splice and stuff.
*Body wiring harness because the pin outs are NOT the same and IT WILL NOT WORK.!!!
*Gauge cluster
*BCM
*ECU
*Center console if you want it or just cut the old one
*Brake master cylinder
*Bend your old brake lines.
*Upper motor mount BTW too.
Ok another thing I wanna add is Trottle body bracket to hold the Throtlle cable.Ok now what I did with the fuel lines since mine were cut it I went and bought like a couple of feet of just regural hard brake line that fits in my stock fuel line and then bought more fuel line and extended it that way with some hose clamps. GHETTO. lol

This tranny crap is for the guys that are doing a 5 speed swap Getrag.
*Tranny
*Tranny mounts
*Axles
*Shifter
*Shifter cables
*Flywheel
*disk
*pressure plate
*throw out bearing
*Rear tranny mount bracket
*bracket on the tranny that holds the shifter cables
*MAKE SURE THEY GIVE YOU ALL THE BOLTS FROM THE BELL HOUSING AND THE PRESSURE PLATE TO FLYWHEEL, AND GIVE YOU THE CLIPS THAT HOLD THE SHIFTER CABLES DOWN, AND THE CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER TOGETHER WITH THE THROW OUT BEARING.
If you don't have these clips when you push the clutch pedal it WILL pop out of the bearing and you won't have pedal.
Now I found the problem to this damn thing because I just got Nitrous put on my Eco and what I did is, I bent the little clip, kinda of like folded it and doubled up on it with some plyers and stuck it in there so that is doesn't flex and it doesn't give me crap anymore, hence NO problems there anymore I have been spraying on the motor like there is no tomorrow.

If your car had Isuzu 5 speed in it that you WILL be able to re-use the front tranny mount bracket it just needs to be shaved a little to clear the Getrag and drill a different hole in it. What I mean with this is that if you are looking straight at the bracket once you pull the wheel off you will see it as a little rectangle, well just shave the bottom right edge of it and RE-DRILL a hole about 2-3 inches to the left and you will be able to work with that.
The rear one, cut it off, go to GM dealer and buy a new one and weld it on.
PART NUMBER IS 22629361!!!!!!!!!!!.

The way you are going to do this is, bolt the tranny on the motor, and the tranny mounts on the tranny. Then put the bracket on the mounts and adjust the motor and the tranny with the cherry picker or a Jack where it need to be positioned and stuff, so that way the motor sits correct in the engine bay and not crooked.
I can also tell you about Evap canister, and the gas tank and the module.
Ok lets start and see what I did 1st.
I don't have any pics or anything, I am sorry because these swaps are pain in the a$$ and I am NOT usually happy when I do them because my car IS my daily driver and I need it on the road. I am going to referre to engine harness as EH, body harness as BH and head light harness as HH.
I pulled the Quad 4 out with the tranny so 1st of all I put the Eco motor with full accessories in it and mounted it on the upper and lower motor mount, I was looking at it and I said why not try to start it without the tranny with just the flywheel on and my old BH in it. I hooked everything up, all the new EH and left the old BH in it, and it did not crank whatsoever, the car was not ALIVE and that is when I figured out that I need the BH and the BCM and more crap.So I said I am going to junk yard and I am going to pull the BCM and the BH and go from there, I am also going to pull the cooling hosss out because they were different.
Next day I went to hook up the cooling hoses when I realized that the radiators were different and I had to find a way to hook it up, so I used the Ecotec hose that goes to the tranny side of the radiator and the other one, well lets just say I made that damn thing fit by, zip tying it to the oil dip stick away from the damn belt.Ok now I have to figure out the heater hoses, so I went to Auto Store find a hose with a 180 degree bend in it and just BYPASSED the heater core since I don't have a heater in the car. Gas lines were already done, Power steering was done, so now we are off to brake master cylinder. I had the 00+ master cylinder and let me tell you, you have to put the bracket 1st on the booster and the the master cylinder on the bracket and tighten down, and make sure you don't mix up the break lines, but you can just bend them to fit. Ok so now you have the cooling to the motor and you got gas, you have power steering and brakes. The motor is mounted, but the tranny is not.
Third time out we are attacking the tranny: So I did have Ishizu tranny in the car and I had the bottom bracket on there and the rear one, not that rear one mattered I had to cut it off and orded the GM one, I left you all a part number.Ok I mounted the tranny without the flywheel and the clutch on the motor with a couple of bellhousing bolts on there and positioned it how it is suppose to be in the engine bay and just left it there. Smoked a cigarette, brought out the welder, cutting wheel, and a drill. I put the tranny mounts on the tranny and tighten them down and then put the rear bracket on the mount and the bolt trough the middle, come on you guys know the drill, positioned the rear bracket and welded it. I cut the bottom one and RE-DRILLED the hole. Took the tranny off and installed the flyweel with the bolts, pressure plate and clutch disk with the aligment tool and the bolts, and broke one (THEY ARE BRITTLE), and went to put the tranny on the motor.It took me about 4 hours and it wouldn't clear. My friend came over and said you are tired aren't you, I was like why?? He said you didn't even undo the lower motor mount so HOW DO YOU EXPECT THE TRANNY TO GO IN THERE?? After I chased him away with the 23 mm WRENCH I did that and the tranny was on, with no PROBLEM, So from now on that is how we are doing it. Tighten the mounts and everything on and I went to sleep
Next time out, I am almost ready I got my BH and the BCM and HH and EH that was already in there. I changed the shifter and the shifter cables, changed the BH and the BCM put the HH on there I was like what the hell, threw some axles on the car (Getrag ones) Here in a Big one( 1st TIME I PUT THE ISUZU AXLES IN IT AND THEY WORKED!!!!!)but my dad made take them off because he MICKED THE AXLES ON THE GETRAG and told me they were thicker, he was sick of me braking the axles, so I did that. Now that everything is hooked up I am tired and went to sleep.
Next time out Everything is hooked up but the car will crank and it won't turn, MAN WAS I MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I saw that my speedo won't hook up to the new BH so I thought that was the problem and I went and got one. Hooked it up and the Theft light came ON!!! Damn it!!! So I also realized the the RADIO plug is different and the cigarette lighter!! Damn it. Before you guys do this make sure all the FUSES ARE IN THE FUSE BOX AND THE ARE GOOD!! Please. So I call my friend at local GM dealership and he said the PASS LOCK IS ACTIVATED BECAUSE YOU ARE USING BCM, BH from one car, and the KEY with the magnetic pick up from your old car with the ignition. He said this is how you TEACH THE BCM to take it up the A$$.
You disconnect the battery and connect it while the ignition is off, get in the car and sit and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH POWER EVEN DOOR CHIME!!! Just sit there. When you get in the car, put the ignition ON and the Theft light SHOULD BLINK, leave it because it WILL blink for 10 minutes and stop, you have to catch it because as soon as it stops, you have a 5 second WINDOW, turn the ignition OFF and back ON, and it should start blinking for another 10 minutes. After the second 10 minutes it will stop and again you have a 5 SECOND frame to turn it OFF and back ON, now wait for the 3rd time and when the Theft light goes OFF, you can go ahead and START THE ECOTEC.
Ok now, it takes about 4-5 quarts of ENGINE OIL, 4.1 Quarts of Dextron Mercon Auto tranny fluid in the Getrag. You need to fill up the power steering, Coolant, and the brake master cylinder and the clutch(same fluid like the brakes). I am not going any further into the details about putting the master cylinder on and the throttle cable, you all should know how to do this, and I TOOK THE CAR FOR A SPIN!!!!!
Ok I am going to tell you all I had the motor in the car for almost 2 weeks, and I have:
*3 inch turbo exhaust on it, * Just regural air filter* No AC (but the compressor is still there)* RK lower mount* 55 shot Zex dry* strut tower bar* lower A-arm bar with poly bushings* Azenis at 20 PSI.
I ran a 9.53 in the 1/8th at like 73 mph with my gilrfriend in the car with me, and 2.2 60" time so I am guessing about 9.30's for me and the motor is bone stock. So about 14.3's in the 1/4.
Well that is about it and I am going to find the belt to run with NO AC, and I am going to post the DAMN belt size since everyone"""""" who has this done""""""", won't say the belt size number a$$holes, except you Craig.
SunCaviEco member since ealry 2000 contributing to you all like always.
From 2.2 OHV 3 speed to 55 shot to 65 shot, to 2.4L 4 speed to 55 shot to 65 shot, to 2.4L 5 speed to 2.4L all forged Turbo 10 PSI, to 2.2 DOHC 5 speed Getrag to 55 shot to TURBO VERY SOON.!!!

I hope this helps

SunCavi
<br>

Sunday, December 12, 2004 10:33 AM
^^^ thats great thank you, very helpful. if i have problems with the Pass lock, i have a little black box that supposedly bypasses the pass lock, i had it on my car for the remote start, i dont know if it will work or not, because i think its already programed for the ignition i have now.

Ok so the isuzu CV Joints fit the Getrag tranny right? so i should keep mine just incase.

Also i didnt understand, but you said, that to mount the tranny its easier if you remove the Lower Engine Mount? Thats also good to know.

How Come you havent removed your A/C Compressor?

Do You Rem The Part Number For the 90 Degee Bend for the Heater Bypass?
on my 2.4 i have a straight Hose that i had at about 45 degree bend and it was a little Kinked.

Thanks
-DJ
Sunday, December 12, 2004 5:37 PM
Hey now! We started at the same time!! It just took us a bit longer only working one weekends and *trying* to obtain those damn tranny mounts for GM.

Are you going to use the stock clutch or go aftermarket? Answer that then I'll tell ya about the throw out bearing.

I don't thinkt he axles work with the Getrag. That is a SunCavi question. <br>

Josh
SLK 32

Sunday, December 12, 2004 5:59 PM
im trying to go aftermarket, just so i dont have to drop the tranny later on, to exchange clutchs. I was thinking Spec stage 4/

But before i buy one, im going to see what the differences are between the 2.4L clutch and the Ecotec Clutch. i have an ACT 6 puck clutch, but i dont think itll work.

.. as for the axles, i asked cause he said he had them on his car and they worked, but his dad told him to swap them for the getrag ones cause the getrag were thicker. <br>

<br>-DJ

Sunday, December 12, 2004 6:08 PM
oh and i got the wiper arms off my car, they were like rusted on there, took some time and some violence, but they were succesfully removed.

And i got my wireing harness's apart, the stupid bolt, damn it, i almost broke it yesterday i was pissed lol. (was working at night in a parking lot with no light else i would of seen it) <br>

<br>-DJ

Sunday, December 12, 2004 7:54 PM
Hey man don't use the Isuzu axles you are on your own if you do. lol
Besides the spline fitting and they do go into the tranny and the spindle is the same and everything.
They might be a 1/2 an inch shorter or longer hence giving you positive or negative camber and wearing the crap out of your tires or some stupid crap.
Or just breaking like crazy cause they are not sitting right, or messing up your tranny or something.

You don't need that drama, do you??
Yea I got the AC removed and the belt number is 345K5 the same belt that I have on the 2.4L LD9. lol Weird.

Good now get to work. You got the info that you need, as for the Heater bypasse hose I just went to Advance Auto Part where I used to work and got me a little 180 degree bend to fit and the right diameter I think it is 5/8's or something.

I forgot the damn part number.Just ask them to go back with one of them and see some hoses they will let you do that.

SunCavi <br>

Monday, December 13, 2004 7:02 PM
dj you working on the car saturday? i could help you then <br>

Tuesday, December 14, 2004 4:09 PM
yep im going to be working on my car this weekend, you can pass by if you want.

Now an update on my Ecotec swap, as i mentioned above i was recieveing my parts today. Heh ya, thats what was supposed to happen, i get a call at about 12:00 noon from the owner of the salvage yard, he tells me he is about to ship everything over, but its incomplete, he will send the rest tomorrow, so i said "ok thats alright, what parts are you missing?", he said the radiator (which he ordered new), along with the Shifter Assembly and Shifter Cables. Which i thought was ok i didnt need those parts right away for any major progress on my car.

Well, the headache begins, after work, i went through the two paletes he sent me, turns out he only sent me like 5/8th of the stuff that i asked for.

Package Includes:
Engine And Tranny Bolted Together (So Im Assuming Clutch And All That are there)
2 IDENTICAL Axles..They Are Both The Same Lenght, I Thought One Had to be Longer?
Engine Wireing Harness (With Like 3-4 Connectors Cut Off I know one is the VSS)
PCM/EUC (Probably From An Automatic with my luck)
Brake Booster
Fuel Tank With Assemmbly
Center Console (No Shift Boot, or power Windows switch, so its incomplete)
Altanator (Detached From Engine, Going to need Bolts To Mount It To Engine)
A/C Compresoor (Detahed From Engine)

Parts Missing:
Radiator (Again He Ordered New)
Complete Cooling System Minus Radiator (Hoses, Resivor, Etc.)
Clutch Master Cylinder
Guage Cluster
Complete 00+ Dash
BCM
Complete Interior Wiring Harness
Manual Transmission Axles (if The Ones i have are wrong)
Stuff Missing From The Center Console
Motor Mounts (Forgot To Check)
Tranny Mounts (Forgot To Check)

Im also going to have to ask for:
Ebrake Assembly (im not sure if the pre 00 Handle Works with 00+ Center Console)
Bolts for the Altanater

So Thats my Update, i was hoping i would be able to put the new interior in my car today, but that didnt happen. Im planning of having my 2.4L out this weekend.
We Will See, Ill keep you guys Posted.

Question: Is one Getrag Axle Bigger Than the other for the 5 spd tranny?

Thanks
<br>

<br>-DJ

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 7:53 AM
Damn, man you are still far from getting it all.
Yea your ECU is most likely Automatic since both of the axles ar the same length.

Autos have the same length axles and manuals are different, passanger one is like 2wice the size.

Well good luck man, those people on the junk yard don't know crap man, you have to tell them everything to the last bolt what you need and you need to explain them where those are and such.

I have done many swaps, like 4 motor and tranny swaps and I am used to those dumba$$es not knowing anything, so all my stuff was ok.

SunCavi <br>

Thursday, December 16, 2004 12:24 AM
i just read all this and all i have to say is good luck and keep us updated <br>

its a cavalier i should get 2 cars and the hit

Friday, December 17, 2004 9:42 AM
Hey man I want all of your 2.4L stuff. I just emailed you. Write me back thanks
<br>

Monday, December 20, 2004 4:47 AM
Herman, you talking to me???

You want my 2.5L

SunCavi <br>

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 6:19 PM
SUNCAVI HELP ME!!!! lol

ok heres the deal, i got the interior harness, but i think its from an automatic... i dont think it should matter? people have dont auto to manual swaps before and i dont rem them mentioning any interior harness swaps...well anyways

it doesnt have the Clutch Start Switch Connector, i dont know if this is going to be a problem.

wiring harness is WAY different than my old one, i have NO idea where alot of the connectos go, i mean i kinda ran out of Plugs, and noone of them match up.
There is a Sperate harness that connects by the HVAC/RADIO and it has like 10 other connectors on it, i have no idea where they go haha.

new front interior harness plugs into my old REAR interior harness just fine, WILL IT WORK?

New front Interior harness doesnt have a plug for the Door Senrors? Or has different Connector Size/Shape

I Cant find the damn glove box light anywhere ???

-- if you cant figure out what im talking about ill take pictures of the connectors that i have no clue where they go, im sure some goto the A/C HVAC but not all of them.
<br>

<br>-DJ

Thursday, December 23, 2004 3:50 PM
Dj, I don't remember seeing a light in my glove box, but I will double check for ya. I can also take pictures of my BCM in the car so you can see where the wires go if you need me to. e-mail me directly if you do so I can get on it. and is there i cool time to call ya for more specific info just in case. <br>

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search