.....the GTP - South East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
.....the GTP
Thursday, April 01, 2010 12:24 PM
Caught on F-IN FIRE yesterday, melted two plug wires and my oil cap....glad a co worker went outside and noticed the smoke, or it would've been gone. Never expected to pop the hood and see flames you could roast marshmellows on.

Dude from the shop up the road came to have a look and we've determined that it's possibly a clogged cat. Hardly any exhaust comes out the pipes, backing up the heat to the exhaust manifolds and started melting @!#$. Car seemed to run ok, temp gauge looks okay, didn't feel like I was robbed of power. I've def had some overheating issues before and the transmission is kind of fudged from heat issues...so I hope this is related Guess I'll find out more later today.

...so yeah, hope you guys' day is better than mine

Convert 00+ headlights to 95-99

Re: .....the GTP
Thursday, April 01, 2010 5:31 AM
I think this is comon. I have seen at least 5 GTP's (of different years) in the junkyard with toasted engine bays. Sucks.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 01, 2010 5:44 AM
wow that sucks bro.....glad you saved the car thou.......time for free flowing 2.5 inch exhaust perhaps ???

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:10 AM
Yeah, the 97-03's were notorious for fires, so I guess i'm not all that suprised.

Haha, was thinking of upgrades instead of replacement. 3800 performace has the 3" downpipe and high flow cat....dyno test show 8hp to the wheels! Hmmm....

Thursday, April 01, 2010 6:29 AM
Sorry to hear, glad the damage was minimal from the sounds of it. I'm surprised to hear of a collapsed cat, it's the first instance I've heard of on an 04+. Welcome to the My GP Is On Fire Club, I feel your pain:

My GT after it caught fire:

Use it as an opportunity to go bigger! I considered scrapping the GT for a while, but ultimately turned it around:

Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:12 AM
Damn man, but it turned out sweet! I had a 97 GT coupe project to swap in the the L67, but didn't have the time or money, so I sold it about a month ago. Yeah, it wasn't bad...even drove it back up to the shop. Still not sure if it is the cat or something else. I love the car, but it's really starting to piss me off.

Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:16 AM
cavGTP (1dersk8) wrote:Damn man, but it turned out sweet! I had a 97 GT coupe project to swap in the the L67, but didn't have the time or money, so I sold it about a month ago. Yeah, it wasn't bad...even drove it back up to the shop. Still not sure if it is the cat or something else. I love the car, but it's really starting to piss me off.

"whispers" get another cavy or sunfire................

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:47 AM
replace the cat with a resonator and HPT the CEL away

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:50 AM
Talk to em at lunch. Temp readings show the cat get extremely hot but very cool afterwords.....so looks like i'm getting the 3" downpipe and hi-flow cat woot!

After this is paid off, i was totally thinking of getting another cavy

Thursday, April 01, 2010 9:01 PM
My friends 95 eclipse is having the same issue, his engine is BEYOND hot as all hell, and he is having power issues, it will completely lose all power, and his check engine light comes on, in five minutes, it will surge and sputter, then the CEL goes away and he has full HP again.

He is replacing his CAT with a magnaflow hi flow tomorrow, cause we figured that was the issue, but this thread just confirmed what we were thinking.

So thanks for sharing!

Thursday, April 01, 2010 10:08 PM
Have you had your recall work done? You will love the 3" DP and cat, you can drop a pulley size after those mods.

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG

Friday, April 02, 2010 10:29 AM
Evan, that is the prob i'm having now about throwing the cat code. Not sure what might be effected by the code, and don't have the software to get rid of it unless I get an o2 sim. Trying to get out of this with performance, yet inexpensive but no hassles. Might just get a cheap cat and be done.

Recall? Had one for my 97 but haven't heard anything on the 04. Guy any info on that? And glad I could help Borderlin3

Friday, April 02, 2010 12:41 PM
You should be able to do the cheap anti-fouler O2 sim. If not HPT would likely be the next option. I have it and can turn the code off (if you get one). Credits are $100.

FU Tuning

Friday, April 02, 2010 7:58 PM
Replaced his cat today with a hi flow magnaflow. engine temps dropped SIGNIFICANTLY, it used to be you couldnt touch it for a second without burning yourself, now you can put your whole hand on the valve cover for a while before getting hot.

Friday, April 02, 2010 8:46 PM
like John said, HPT would be a good solution for you. you can eliminate the cat altogether and not have to deal with CEL codes. and from what Jason has told me in the past, the rear o2 is mainly there to monitor the cat and let you know when its going bad

and putting the resonator in there would keep a catless exhaust from getting all raspy and ricey sounding, altho you have an entirely diff motor than me. you might get that sound with a strait-thru exhaust

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:10 AM
Ah, didn't notice the body style of yours. A lot of the older style GTPs supposedly caught fire because of the valve cover gasket leaking oil inside the exhaust manifold when you shut the engine off. I would get headers, DP, pulley, and HPtuner. It would make a big difference

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG
Monday, April 05, 2010 12:21 PM
Woohoo, ordered the downpipe and hi-flow cat...sorry Evan . I finally got confirmation that pre '05 grand prix's do not have fuel issues related to the secondary 02 sensor....just a CEL. Saved $50 too, cause the more expensive one still might have thrown the code....but not worried about that now. Can't wait to see how she rides and sounds....actually can't wait to just have a car again

Glad this post helped Borderlin3, and thanks for chimin in everybody

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:56 PM
I dont know if this will help or not, but i do know they had a recall on the GTPs for valve cover gaskets and some other gasket that would let oil/fuel leak onto the manifolds...

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search