SOMEONE HELP !!!!! - South East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
SOMEONE HELP !!!!!
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 1:28 AM
Well today i was on my way to go do some things i needed to do in savannah.... and i had noticed that a light popped on .... So i decided to bring it to my dad and stepdad at the garage where they work ..... So i did .... I explained to my stepdad that a light came on while i was driving and i thought it might need a fluid....So my stepdad looked and told me that i needed a quart of oil and windhshield wash.... So then came my dad over and i told him i needed a quart of oil and windshield wash .... so he then took my car into the garage and filled the oil and the windshield wash... Then came one of his co-workers which had said "Looks like she needs some anti freeze".... so then went in some antifreeze and some stop leak .... and then i proceeded to be on my way so i thought ..... I got a little down the road .... My car started to putter and vibrate for some weird reason .... So i said to myself ...No this isn't right .... I pulled off onto a side street .... shut off my car then started it back up .... My car then filled the entire street with white smoke .... I was scared and mad at the same time .... I then took it back to my dads job which is thankfully right down the street ..... i got to his job ... parked .... and i told my dad what happened .... He then looked under neath my car and the cadilletic converter (sorry for the bad spelling i hope it's understandable) it was cherry red .... i mean glowing red like i had a huge red neon light under there .... so my dad then took it into the garage to let the cadillaetic converter cool off ..... When it was cooled off my dad's co worker then proceeded to cut off the cadilletic converter .... He cut it off and replaced it with a 18" pipe with 2 C clamps and welded on either side .... Thought that was the problem .... My car was then started up again and it was loud ..... My stepdad took it for a test drive ..... It's even worse now because it's got a low roar noise and my engine is vibrating like it's going to get up out of my car and run away and my exhaust pipe is spurting out what seems to be drops of gasoline ..... It was ran on the diagnostic computer and i was told it's Multiple Misfiring ..... Anyone have any idea of what the problem could be ? Oh and not to mention ..... the spark plugs are shot so i'm going to replace them if that does any justice ..... Sorry for the long forum but i figured i'd explain step by step for what is happening .... someone help !!!!

Re: SOMEONE HELP !!!!!
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 4:38 AM
I see a few possible problems here.

1) The Oil got way over filled which could explain the white smoke.
2) Something had gotten your cat stopped up. Which is why it was bright red, not enough flow. And if you didnt replace the cat or get an o2 simulator then you could be throwing a code.
3) I dont know what could cause the misfiring maybe someone else can help.

And those drops coming out of your tail pipe is probably water. Caues water is a product of combustion. Have you been using more gas than usual?

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:06 AM
White smoke?? That sounds like the vehicle may have gotten hot.Which would explain the loss of coolant.Have someone do a pressure test and see if you may have blown a headgasket.All the things you explained lead to that.
Good Luck
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:37 AM
From reading what you have posted first thing that comes to mind is head gasket. If your head gasket is going, or gone, it will run like it is missing, and if it is getting into the cylinders (which it would be if there is white smoke) it can foul the plugs, causing the miss. That could have clogged your cat.
Also Blue smoke is oil, not white. They need to pull the plugs see if there is any signs of coolant in the cylinders.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:19 AM
Have a compression test done on the engine. I agree it might be the head gasket. Worst case scenario, the piston rings.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:57 AM
well the big question is, where was the white smoke coming from, and what did it smell like?
After the smoke stoped, you could still drive it?, what was the temp reading, high or normal?
the reason why its so loud now, is since you just have a straight pipe in place of your cat. If you have inspections, then your car won't pass W/O it.
your step dad, AND your dad work at the same shop?....... that must be akward!

Quote:

Have a compression test done on the engine. I agree it might be the head gasket. Worst case scenario, the piston rings.

Quote:

From reading what you have posted first thing that comes to mind is head gasket. If your head gasket is going, or gone, it will run like it is missing, and if it is getting into the cylinders (which it would be if there is white smoke) it can foul the plugs, causing the miss. That could have clogged your cat.

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 9:13 AM
Well yeah .... the blue smoke .... it smelled like when someone doesn't change their oil .... but i had just had an oil change about a week and a half ago ..... the smoke was coming from the exhaust pipe .... and yes i am going to replace the cat .... i figure well if i have to replace the cat then why not just go performance which is what im going for anyway ..... Yes i could still drive it but it ws so bogged down and didn't want to even go anywhere ..... i knew the cat was going to go eventually ..... it was just a question of when ..... im just thankful that it happened right up the road from my dads job and not out on the beach where i work ..... thanks for all the advice i will check these things out .....
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 12:44 PM
like theyve said above it could be a head gasket if its gas coming out of you exhaust check the fuel pressure regulator but multiple miss fire could be bad plugs plug wires
or coils
Wednesday, September 21, 2005 2:06 PM
did ya ever find out what ever was wrong?

Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:17 PM
hey yeah i think i may have figured it out i hope ...... distributor cap is cracked and is black ..... so im getting it replaced this week ..... i hope this is the problem .... and it could be solved .... who knew a clogged cat would cause soooooo much damage .... thanks everyone ..... i'll keep ya updated
Tuesday, September 27, 2005 11:09 AM
so what is it? the cat or the cap? or both?
CAVI's have distributors? i thought that they are distributorless????

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:34 PM
Xian G wrote:Have a compression test done on the engine. I agree it might be the head gasket. Worst case scenario, the piston rings.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 4:38 PM
sounds like head gasket

or put in too much antifreeze

south east
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search