Misfiring, any ideas? - South East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Misfiring, any ideas?
Monday, June 06, 2011 1:20 PM
Ok so a few weeks ago my car started misfiring I checked the coils and they were fried. I changed the coils, plugs, wires and o2 sensor and I'm starting to misfire in every gear at about 4k. I have a 5spd 2.2 non Eco/non 2200. Fluffy scanned the computer a few years back before I had sold her originally and there were some computer issues so I'm hoping that will fix it.

Any other ideas on what may be causing this? I feel like i have a turbo and am untuned just to give ideas

Re: Misfiring, any ideas?
Monday, June 06, 2011 2:24 PM
Could be soo many things, but with out datalogging it hard to say.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 06, 2011 3:56 PM
ill suggest to change the ecu for another one
Monday, June 06, 2011 3:58 PM
spark plug gap, dis cap, engine ground
Monday, June 06, 2011 4:18 PM
Yeah I feel you on that higgins.

Yeah ill try the new ECU Jair, I gapped the spark plugs right, and changed the coil packs. Havent checked the engine ground ill check tomorrow.

Monday, June 06, 2011 6:05 PM
ok so I pulled off my CAI and drove around for a little, I think the issue is gone, wtf, ill check again in the morning

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:57 AM
Anyone holes in your intake (the CAI).?

I doubt it is ECU. Ground is very possible.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:53 AM
I haven't inspected it I will today and get back with you. The car was running fine but had a number of issues before. I fixed all the issues and now I guess the things that are wrong with the car are actually affecting it now lol.

I have this style filter but i have never had an issue with it http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/sct/8162.jpg

ive had it on the car (the filter) for about 2 months, I just need to check it and see whats actually wrong, ill report back later

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:01 PM
that looks like it to be spectre brand? mine did the same thing, changed the filter and it seemed fine. maybe a fluke but seemed to be fine afterwards.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:44 PM
yeah but the issue just recently started I had it for like 2 months prior but I have been fixing many other things with the car so maybe I just didnt notice the difference.

I looked at the CAI it seems fine, the filter I think the filter is dirty or the adapter o-ring could be bent and constricting air. I havent pulled it all apart to check yet.

So I tested the car out today for a while and I road around with no filter praying to God that nothing got into the TB. Long story short the misfiring would happen every once in a while in 2nd gear anywhere from 3-5k. I unplugged the o2 sensor and wala no more misfire. I just changed my o2 sensor the other day so im a little confused but now I just need to change that filter and see whats going on with this o2...it is possible the misfiring issue I had with the filter could have damaged my o2, I installed it last Friday and drove around 450 hwy miles back and forth from miami to orlando and about 400 street.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:35 PM
What kind of O2 sensor? Brand?

Also when you unplugged the O2 you just force the car into open loop which is running off the tune. This does not mean the O2 is bad, but likely a sensor is. Being that you just replaced the O2 sensor it could be it, but not 100%.

Without seeing datalogs to hard to say.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:44 PM
Its a Bosche direct replacement.

idk if fluffy has the logs from a long ass time ago, but i need to find a shop thatll scan it

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:49 PM
Yo check for vacumm leaks
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:58 PM
Torres @ The Barcode Magazine wrote:Its a Bosche direct replacement.

idk if fluffy has the logs from a long ass time ago, but i need to find a shop thatll scan it

I hear bad things about the Bosch o2 sensors with the J-bodys. I recommend NTK sensors. My Z24 has had no issues for a LOOONNNGGG time with them.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:19 PM
Ive checked for leaks but cant seem to find any ill keep searching this weekend ill check everything. Ill try the NTK when I get some more money

thanks guys

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 4:32 AM
I use to hear bad things about bosch O2 sensor's. I would also say don't do it, but I have been running a bosch sensor in my 01 for 3-4 years with no issues. This was not a direct replacement and was more of a custom thing, still works.

Direct replacements (with no cutting or splicing or wires is always best).

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:34 AM
yeah ive been using bosch since I first owned a J and never had issues. I just have to get the car scanned when I have a chance

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:40 AM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:What kind of O2 sensor? Brand?

Also when you unplugged the O2 you just force the car into open loop which is running off the tune. This does not mean the O2 is bad, but likely a sensor is. Being that you just replaced the O2 sensor it could be it, but not 100%.

Without seeing datalogs to hard to say.
that's exactly my thoughts, problem is this thing is obd1 95 bs. Ne,t time your in town mike we scan it with a tech1. I can't remember all the codes anymore. And I don't think the computer is capable of datalogging right now unless its throwing a vicious code when the misfire happened....

I guess I need to borrow your car again since last time it worked out some well haha

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Thursday, June 09, 2011 2:31 PM
loose ecu connection, seems better now it was misfiring all over today. Ill check once i hit the highway tomorrow

Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:35 PM
well glad it was something simple hopefully. lol

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:47 AM
lets hope lol, ill keep everyone posted

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search