The Virginia State Inspection Sticky - Page 2 - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The Virginia State Inspection Sticky
Thursday, December 08, 2011 4:09 PM
red lens tape fails inspection

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-190
Quote:

10. Lens has a piece broken from it. The lens may have one or more cracks provided an off-color light does not project through the crack(s).

NOTE: No repairs shall be effected like taping or gluing cracks or pieces.

14. Any vehicle has unapproved lens or plastic covers, any other materials that are not original equipment or any colored material placed on or in front of the signal device (intention to stop or turn), hazard lights or stop lamp.

both points cover this...

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 9:22 AM
I want to go back to the air bag discussion. I just bought an STI with literally no airbags. I didn't take them out and the car has a complete 6 point roll cage. It would be completely pointless for me to put them back in as it would probably make the car unsafe. The seat belts are 4-point anti-submarine DOT legal and even the airbag module with airbag impact sensors are gone. Could I get this car inspected at this point? (even the right passenger airbag space was re-badged as "there is no airbag under this cover")
Friday, December 16, 2011 3:42 AM
thats a good one... you'd have to ask the state trooper on that one... By law, it should fail... but troopers can override things with mitigating circumstances

find your local state police safety office, and ask the trooper in charge of state inspections. If he says yes, have him put it in writing so you can bring that to the inspection station every year and not deal with the headache. (you'll have to go to one of the stations that that trooper manages)

Sunday, February 12, 2012 6:50 PM
ok i have a question. i was messing around in my car and lost control. the two door handles on the left side of my car got smashed off when i side-swiped a tree. is my car still road legal?
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:55 PM
not having a driver front door handle, nor having any other method of getting in the car (door popper with button or pull string, etc) will fail...

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 6:11 PM
Hoping you can help with advice.
I'm planning to install a pair of Hella 500's on the front bumper of my pickup for off-road use.
I already have two headlights and two fogs (which switch off with highs)
Plan is to wire the relay to operate off the marker/parking lights so they can be manually switched off/on from cabin independent of the rest of the lights.
I want to set the alignment higher than would be allowed on the street.
The lights come with white plastic covers which would be in place while on-road.
I've heard that if the lights are covered while on-road and for state inspection, they would not be illegal no matter how they were wired or aimed.
Can you comment?
Thanks for your help.
Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:12 AM
So long as the lights are covered, and don't come on (behind the covers) when we operate the normal headlight/high beam controls, they should pass.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-160

Quote:

I. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Vehicle has an auxiliary lamp being used for a purpose other than for which it was approved.

EXCEPTION: Any lighting device that is both covered and not illuminated, other than lamps required, shall not be considered for inspection. Fog and driving lamps mounted below the level of the regular headlamps must be checked for aim as outlined in subdivisions I 10 i and 11 g of this section if not covered.

NOTE: The covers shall be a type that would be installed as original equipment and not tape, paper bags, aluminum foil or similar materials per subdivision I 11g (2).

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:28 AM
Alright so I got a question. The other night I got pulled over and was told my exhaust was to loud he basically said anything louder then stock is illegal. Now I find this hard to believe but I tried looking and couldn't find anything conclusive.

So my question is what are the exhaust laws in Virginia?
Friday, September 28, 2012 5:47 PM
well...

anything louder than stock is ticketable, and generally beatable in court... This is per each city/county ordinance and not a state law.

As for state inspection, as long as the exhaust pipe passes the passenger compartment, you pass inspection. It does not matter whether the exhaust system is terminated with a muffler or not.

What you want to look up is the city ordinance code that the officer wrote on the ticket.

This is why i run an LSJ muffler. My exhaust is "stock" the law does not apply to the volume of my engine.

Friday, August 09, 2013 2:49 PM
Ok. Here is a question that has been on my mind. I have a decal on my windshield across the top that says "PONTIAC" and another across the back windshield that says "SUNFIRE". They extend no more than 5 inches below the roof line. I have been pulled over 3 times for other reasons and the officers have yet to say anything about the decals. When I went to get my car inspected it passed inspection. But a few weeks later I had to go get tires and the inspector came up to me and told me to scrape the decals off because he shouldn't have passed it with them on. I read the full inspection list and it states that as long as the decal/ sun shading material is above the AS1 line then it passes. And that decals can be present on the rear glass as long as there are side mirrors. My AS1 is in the very bottom right hand side. Was he rite in saying he shouldn't have passed it?
Sunday, August 18, 2013 6:19 PM
AS1 should be 3-5" from the top of the glass of the front windshield... If the inspector passed it, then it falls on the inspector if you get pulled for it. I'd leave it there...

If the AS1 stamp is in the correct location, and the sticker falls completely within it, if someone fails you, you can challenge it by going to the local state police office.

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:47 PM
Hello. Would i be able to pass the inspection with gutted cat and both faulty O2 sensors giving the CEL? Thanks.
Monday, September 30, 2013 6:00 PM
Alex Smith wrote:Hello. Would i be able to pass the inspection with gutted cat and both faulty O2 sensors giving the CEL? Thanks.
If the inspector can tell the cat is gutted, it will fail. We don't scan CELs for inspections in southern VA, however in Northern VA with emissions testing, you will fail immediately since the readyness indicators will not pass for the cat/02 codes.

By default, you fail if your cat is inoperable, this is a federal emissions law, however, a gutted cat is not always obvious to the inspector, and we aren't required to remove the cat and look inside of it, and thus you may get passed.

I would suggest getting a high flow cat, they are proven to flow just as well as no cat, but you'll be legal, and won't have to question whether you pass or not.

performance-curve.com is based out of Roanoke and sells high flow cats for like $50ish

Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:32 AM
My 2008 jeep did not pass a VA inspection due to a muffler leak. I feel air coming out of the front and rear of the muffler. If I use tape or something to fix the leak, will it pass inspection?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search