Question abou registering a salvaged car - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question abou registering a salvaged car
Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:51 AM
Hey, my friend had her salvaged car shipped here to Ohio from Vegas after it was fixed, she is trying to register her car here in Ohio but she says the Highway Patrol is asking for all reciepts. Problem is that she doesn't have them (dont know why), she is wondering is there anything she can do to get around it?

I couldn't help her out, I know nothing about the process to register a salvaged car.

Thanks.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Re: Question abou registering a salvaged car
Saturday, February 18, 2012 12:04 PM
You have to tow the car to an extended inspection garage or something like that. It has a funny name. Here in PA it cost between $250-$500 to have it inspected for an R title and if it doesn't pass you loose the money. If it does pass they process all the forms and give you new tags. Then you just have to wait for your R title. It is a very extensive inspection and can only be done by certain state approved garages. It is the only way to make a salvage title street legal. As far as I know non of the 50 states allow you to drive with a salvage title. Also there are two different salvage titles. A repairable one and non-repairable. Non-repairable cannot ever be driving again even if it is fully restored. You have to watch out for that. I am in the process of restoring a car so I know all about it.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:43 PM
Ok, thanks Rob, I will let her know.

Im wondering if they even told her of a garage that she can get it checked at.

Thx

306 TQ
Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:44 PM
Idk if its taboo around here but i have heard of people vin swapping... kinda risky sometimes but it could work.
Saturday, February 18, 2012 7:59 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:You have to tow the car to an extended inspection garage or something like that. It has a funny name. Here in PA it cost between $250-$500 to have it inspected for an R title and if it doesn't pass you loose the money. If it does pass they process all the forms and give you new tags. Then you just have to wait for your R title. It is a very extensive inspection and can only be done by certain state approved garages. It is the only way to make a salvage title street legal. As far as I know non of the 50 states allow you to drive with a salvage title. Also there are two different salvage titles. A repairable one and non-repairable. Non-repairable cannot ever be driving again even if it is fully restored. You have to watch out for that. I am in the process of restoring a car so I know all about it.

i had to get the enhanced inspection done before in pa it really wasn't that difficult to pass as long as your car is in decent shape ,also only cost 60$ where i went .
from what ive read about the ohio reconstructed titles it looks like you have to take the car to a ohio state police inspection garage where the check to make sure the new parts where obtained legally (they aren't inspecting the quality of the repair) and you need the receipts also,as long as all the parts check out ok you should be good

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:28 PM
Gotcha, yea thats the big problem, she doesnt have receipts. Looks like she is SOL.

306 TQ
Saturday, February 18, 2012 11:06 PM
If the work was done at a shop they should have copies of the work orders including parts ordered/installed/labor. It might even be in some vin network somewhere. i'd check back with the shop and get them faxed to her or something
Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:43 PM
So, she just told me that the guy/shop that did the work on the car isn't returning her calls! LMAO. Shady probably? I think so. Problem is, she is back here in Ohio now, has already left Vegas.

306 TQ
Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:22 PM
see if you can get some receipts from a local junkyard, if it really comes down to it she might need to buy some used parts and get new receipts

Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:51 PM
what parts were replaced that need receipts? how do they know exactly what was needed/replaced? Just get a few things on a ticket and call it good.
Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:27 PM
In Wisconsin we can drive savage titles and no emission tests $75 gets you plates

Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:01 PM
Ohio is a pain in the ass. You need receicpts for both air bags, the control modular, new PCM, and I believe a few other things. It is like $75. And there are only like four places you can get it inspected at...one being in Columbus. I might buy a salvage 99 Z24, but after looking into the titling of it...I'm not sure. It can be a complete piece of @!#$, but aslong as you have receipts it will pass. I'm thinking of buying all the required parts and then selling them on eBay after it passes. In Ohio the receipts is what the state inspection wants to see. As long as the car runs and moves under its own power and you have the reciepts it will pass.

Ill link to everything tomorrow when I'm not on my phone.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 16, 2012 5:33 AM
ODPS/BMV wrote:Before a self-assembled vehicle or a salvage vehicle can be titled in Ohio, an inspection of the vehicle must be completed by the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

The purpose of this inspection is to verify the ownership of all parts and to review all required documentation. The inspection is not intended to certify the vehicle's safety, road worthiness, or the quality of workmanship. Contact your local deputy registrar's office for fees involved. Anyone needing a vehicle inspection shall proceed as follows:

I.
Obtain an application for the inspection at any Deputy Registrar location.

II.
Telephone your local inspection location for an appointment. You must be prompt when reporting for the inspection to avoid being rescheduled.

III.
Present all required documentation for salvage inspections:

Ohio salvage title in the name of the person applying for title. Assigned titles and out-of-state salvage titles are not accepted.
Receipts for all replaced "major component parts" (listed below). This includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the source vehicle. If receipts are from a casual sale by an individual, they must be notarized. Photocopies of receipts are not acceptable.
The inspection officer may require receipts or documentation for any part of questionable origin (ORC, Section 4505.11).
The inspection receipt

Major Component Parts List *
Air Bag(s),
Bumper Dash,
Deck Lid,
Doors,
Engine,
Frame,
Front Fenders,
Hatchback,
Hood,
Rear Door,
Rear Quarters,
Transmission,
Tailgate,
Receipts may also be required for any parts with a fair market value of $100.00 or more.
Any parts presented that are questionable or missing vehicle identification numbers are subject to seizure.

IV.
Documentation required for self-assembled inspections:

Titles, receipts, and documentation of the source for the replaced major component parts, which includes the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the source vehicle. If receipts are from a casual sale from an individual, they must be notarized. Photocopies of receipts are not acceptable.
The inspecting officer may require receipts or documentation for any part of questionable origin (ORC, Section 4505.11).
When "kits" are used, the manufacturer's certificate of origin must be presented.
The inspection receipt.

V.
Inspection Procedures:

The vehicle must be completely rebuilt and ready for highway operation.
Before either a salvage or self-assembled inspection is conducted, all receipts and documents will be examined. The inspection will not be completed if any are incomplete, incorrect, or missing.
The person presenting the vehicle for inspection will be permitted in the inspection area only when authorized by the inspecting officer.
The applicant may be instructed to remove certain body parts from the vehicle before arriving for inspection. During the inspection, it may be necessary to remove certain parts to allow examination of VIN's. It may also be necessary to leave the vehicle overnight.
Any vehicle or component part bearing a VIN or VIN derivative determined to be stolen/missing or altered will result in the vehicle being impounded and held as evidence and/or seized for forfeiture.

Failure to meet all the requirements as set forth above, will necessitate a rescheduling of the inspection.

The State of Ohio assumes no liability for any damage resulting from removing parts to permit examination or for any damage resulting from replacement of these parts.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:52 PM
i don't mind the inspection and receipts i just hate the 6 month wait.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:27 AM
Jason, what 6 month wait?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:23 PM
when i had mine inspected, i had to wait 6 months for all the paper work and have it inspected.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:32 AM
What ALL did the inspect exactly, and what proof did you have to provide?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:28 AM
Mine went through a ditch. Basically I pulled the front end off straighter what was bent and put it all back together. They are basically looking at the vin number on parts to make sure they are not stolen. They really don't look for much else. That why they ask for receipts to track down stolen parts.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:34 AM
Got dang, im sure glad Franklin county doesn't inspect. This seems like a PIA!

306 TQ
Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:34 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:Mine went through a ditch. Basically I pulled the front end off straighter what was bent and put it all back together. They are basically looking at the vin number on parts to make sure they are not stolen. They really don't look for much else. That why they ask for receipts to track down stolen parts.

I've put several cars through here in Ohio and your right. Just get the receipts for the parts that were replaced and your in. Do not mess with any VIN's or tell them you did weather it is damaged or not. They have to stay with the damaged parts.It's not hard. Just stay organized with your parts receipts, have your inspection paper and money.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 5:36 PM
Email me with any questions. I don't check the inbox much.

Quote: no ofence man but if you have so much experience in all that why does your car look like crap?

Monday, May 14, 2012 5:52 AM
Just did a salvage inspection on a red sunfire i got here in ohio from work..

You need paper work for the parts replaced that are valued over 100 each, body parts lights, airbags, ect. If not they could seize the vehicle for fraud. Best this would be to buy some used parts, replace the existing parts, inspected, then disassemble and return them or ebay.

All country's and stats have different laws. Always check the vins and if buying parts from person to person and you need an inspection you must have a bill of sale of that part with a notary stamp.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search