My 2011 build progress thread - North East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My 2011 build progress thread
Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:39 PM
So 2011 is here, and after many months of putting it off and procrastination, this is going to be the year I do the work I want to do with my '04 LS. Everything is pretty much stock, with some minor mods. Here goes the pic thread:

Yes, I hate having to have the front plate! Nothing I can do about it. Aside from that, I want to clean up the drivers side headlight, you can see its foggy from water and dirt getting in there. I know they make kits for this type of thing. Is there any other way to clean them up? Also, what should I do to keep it from fogging up again? Obviously, theres a leak somewhere...

Please ignore the 4x4 ride height here. I recently redid the struts all the way around, and didnt have the money for adjustable struts, so stock replacements is what she got. Also, with this hellish winter we've been having, the extra height was a welcome thing to have driving through the snow. More than that, I am going to be needing summer wheels that aren't crazy expensive and will look better than the winter steelies. Any low-cost suggestions? Last year, I ran with 225/40/17 and i loved what the wider stance tires did for the cars maneuverability. Other than that, I think those rear hub spacers Jeffie is selling would make the rear wheels not look so retarded sunken so far in.

Stock LS bumper, with the stock '03-'05 reflector I painted quite craptastically last year to match the car better. That crap is getting scrapped for the '00 - '02 trunk with '95-'99 tails. I'm going to try to find a trunk in black so I can save myself the painting (really not experienced enough to attempt paint/body work by myself). A lot of guys like the Toyota Cav tails, though I do like them, I don't think they are worth the extra expense.

The infamous fender dent thats been with this cav since day 1. The rust is starting to spread, and the dent needs to come out.

the dirty, basically stock motor, aside from the short ram air filter. High performance isn't a huge priority with this car, its my DD, so functionality is more important. This year, I'd like to upgrade the stock exhaust with a high flow cat back exhaust that wont sound like a rice cannon. Any suggestions?

Re: My 2011 build progress thread
Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:32 PM
I'll hopefully have no need for my 16" wheels and trunk this summer....

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:34 PM
..magna flow or similar maybe ??....I keep reading good things about it......and buy Tinkles stuff !!!!!!

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:19 PM
I have a pacesetter monza catback and i love it. It dounds decently deep but not overpoweringly loud or ricey. And at $250 ya cant beat it... Just my $0.02
Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:04 PM
Tinkles wrote:I'll hopefully have no need for my 16" wheels and trunk this summer....

PM'ed

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:33 PM
Its a good start Ryan, you have a clean slate to work with which always a plus!

For the headlights, cleaning them up depends on if some of the build up is on the inside (which I'm guessing it is). I like meguier's plast-x followed up with their lens restorer poilish for any sort of lenses (hell if you make it down to a kgm meet, come down early to my place and we'll take care of it).
If it needs to be resealed, throw the light in your oven (take off the plastic dust cap, rubber plugs, etc) at about 325-350* for a few minutes, keep checking it and as the glue starts to soften you'll be able to peel of the lens. Clean/polish the inside if needed, then clean off all the old adhesive and reseal with rtv silicone sealant. Some will tell you to just re-melt the old glue, which may work, but I prefer new silicone. Its a bit intimidating the first time you toss your headlight into an oven, but overall its a simple job.

Good decision to make the light bar disappear, lol! If you need some tails, I'll have a set of 95-99 tails available in a few weeks. Pay shipping and they're yours (or come down to a kgm meet and get them!)

As far as an exhaust, I also think the pre-fab pacesetter catback is a nice choice. I would also check with local exhaust shops and see what the pricing would be if you supply the muffler and resonator (if you choose to use one) and just let them bend up the piping and assemble. Dynomax and flowmaster are also some god sounding choices for an eco, and most recommend cramming the longest resonator/glasspack that you can between the cat n muffler, it'll help lower the tone and keep it from hitting that raspy rice burner sound.
My new setup will be be consisting of a pacesetter lsj header, 2.5" catless stainless steel pipe, resonator, and a dynomax muffler.

Monday, February 21, 2011 4:57 AM
Slam it boost it lss kit thrush turbo muffler rims done

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search