State Inspection Central PA - North East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
State Inspection Central PA
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:28 PM
Hey there folks,

i need to get new inspection stickers,
Anyone know a place in central PA, York and surrounding areas, where I can take my car
where they will take the money and over look some cosmetic details?

Thanks,
-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.

Re: State Inspection Central PA
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:33 PM
What kind of problems? I used to be an inspection mechanic in Lebanon...

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:28 PM
Cosmetic details do not cause you to fail inspection. You cannot have any sharp or protruding edges on the car or rust holes. If you have any cover them up with duct tape or something and you will pass. You need all the body panels. Other then that you will pass as long as all your lights work and your car is mechanically sound and not a hazard to other drivers. I have a PA state inspection License.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:15 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Cosmetic details do not cause you to fail inspection. You cannot have any sharp or protruding edges on the car or rust holes. If you have any cover them up with duct tape or something and you will pass. You need all the body panels. Other then that you will pass as long as all your lights work and your car is mechanically sound and not a hazard to other drivers. I have a PA state inspection License.

x2. That's why im wondering what the actual issues are. Gotta watch the fenders too. They cant have big holes and the tires can't come out past the fender.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:32 PM
I have personally never see a mechanic fail for the tires sticking out. My cavalier has 285/35/17 on and they never failed my car for them sticking out lol.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:36 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:I have personally never see a mechanic fail for the tires sticking out. My cavalier has 285/35/17 on and they never failed my car for them sticking out lol.

Nice, haha. I've found that more stuff like that is over looked since emissions became the states primary concern.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:11 AM
Well,
Cosmetically I have the toyo tails but that's enough to cause issues some places.

And my brakes are rusted over since I don't drive it, but I can clean those with a few break stops.
Also I remember the national place I went to was anal about stiff under the hood.
The mom and pop shop didn't care, so I passed state and emissions no problem.

So I was looking for a place to 'overlook' some details.

-M

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:29 AM
Yeah there's a big deal about aftermarket or swapped lights in pa. Anyway, glad you got it worked out.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, December 14, 2012 7:10 PM
^^
I was referring to 2 years ago.
That mom and pop shop isn't around anymore.
I'm looking for another.

Or at least outter tail lights I can slap on.

-M

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:40 PM
Did you try to see if it passes? Most places, if not all do not charge if a car fails. I know here where I am at I cannot charge someone if a car fails. I thought it was everywhere though. I would just take it and see what happens.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 8:20 AM
^^
It would still require me to fix the cosmetic issues and have to make a second trip.
Unfortunately around here, the fee is pass or fail.
Basically they let you bring it back once all the failed parts are fixed and then that part is free.

Thanks for the tips,
I'll just source some cheap tails from a junkyard one day if I get time.

-M

Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:33 AM
Mastin wrote:^^
It would still require me to fix the cosmetic issues and have to make a second trip.
Unfortunately around here, the fee is pass or fail.
Basically they let you bring it back once all the failed parts are fixed and then that part is free.

Thanks for the tips,
I'll just source some cheap tails from a junkyard one day if I get time.

-M

im not in the central pa but saying i still know the rules i have my state and emissions license. the way the shop i work test the car the way it shows up you pay pass or fail but if you fail you get a free retest but it has to be in the 30 days. like there can be some strict inspectors like they can fail you for wrong colored bulbs,tint on the headlights or like yellow wrap on the fog lights,after market head lights or tail lights because they are not dot approved,hell they can even fail you if your wipers don't clear the windshield after 5 swipes.as for aftermarket stuff under the hood and you have emissions all the factory stuff has to be there and works. like evap lines and canister

Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:48 PM
^^
Yeah,
I don't have time for those places,
Willing to find anything wrong so they can 'fix' it right there and charge me more money.

-M

Saturday, December 15, 2012 4:50 PM
Yea, and if you are that stict and fail someone for something that is not illegal, say goodbye to you license.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search