LANCASTER AREA? - Page 3 - North East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LANCASTER AREA?
Friday, July 19, 2013 10:39 PM
I'm not a 4cyl person. You would have to ask someone else. I posted last year about the 2.4l Eco and they said only one person tried it. I am sure it will fit if people have put v6s in 3rd gens. Now if you were building a 3x00 engine I could show you a thing or two. Same with brake swaps.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:39 AM
Ok, just to clear things up, any eco will physically fit into the car (they all use the same mounting locations essentially), but outside of the L61 (2.2) you run into electronic issues and such.

The 2.4 LE5 isn't going to run as a whole without either a stand alone or a full harness/electrical swap from a LE5 car. LE5s are VVT, and the head is a very different design. People make hybrids (and several locals have) using the 2.4 block with either a L61 or LSJ head. Regardless, you still need to use a trigger wheel and external crank sensor since the LE5 uses a different reluctor ring on the crank and the J body pcm cannot utilize it. Same goes for the 2.0 LSJ...which is what I'm running currently..using a trigger wheel and external ckp for ignition timing.

If you just want a straight up swap, you want the 2.2 L61. Also try to grab one specifically from a J body. While all the L61's are essentially the same, there are subtle differences that would need to be swapped to make a non J version go into a J (example, if it comes from a non J body, then a j body oil pan needs to be swapped on. Some other platforms used electronic steering assist, which then you'd need to swap on the j body power steering, as well as a j body eco intake came to link up to the pump, etc).

Now since you are asking about a '98, it is possible, but a bit more involved. The electronics are not plug and play since pre 2000 did not use a BCM. and the interior/exterior harnesses will not be plug and play from pre to post 2000. The typical approach to eco swapping a pre 2000 J is to swap ALL harness and electronics, front to back. Every harness, fuel system, instrument cluster, dash, dash harness, etc. You're basically gutting the car, and transplanting a 2000+ into the shell. You also have to deal with trans mounts since those changed from Isuze to Getrag (unless you're auto...I think all the auto mounts are the same, but I'm not 100% sure).

You're in Lititz, correct? Not sure what salvagers are there, but you're not far from Weber Bros in Annville...they always have tons of ecotecs there for reasonable prices. My LSJ/LK9 with 40k miles cost me $500. Or check Harry's U Pull It, they have dozens of eco j bodies, especially at the Hazleton yard, and often have their $100 motor specials. Check craiglist too, I see L61's on there all the time.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:04 AM
thanks man learned alot! yeah mine is stick... i just want something that i wont have to worry about crapping out...
Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:19 AM
If you take care of your engine you shouldn't have any issues with any engine. Also Harry's doesn't warranty engines but they are dirt cheap. $100 for a long block. I got 5 engines from there. All but 1 I equipped apart and swapped parts from other engines to make more power then bought them. Then I cleaned them up and regasketed them as well as porting.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:24 AM
yeah ill have to go check them out! the only reason im skiddish about all this is because im venturing into uncharted territory for me so if something goes off or something, i wont know what to do or how to fix it.. thats my only worry otherwise, gung ho lets go
Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:34 AM
Well there's nothing to worry about at the junkyard. You break something just move to another car and try again. Just make sure your over 18 and have plenty of tools and an ID when you go to Harry's. You can rent a cart for $2 an hour and an engine hoist for $10 an hour I think. I am probably going there this week for a 2nd gen wiring harness.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:41 AM
well i mean something goes off in my car down the road... youll have to let me know next time you go!
Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:52 AM
Well I am either going tue-thur or the following week after wed. Depends if it's over 100 degrees and how the weather is. I've been to Harry's over 500 times. The weather there is crazy compared to reading. I went to Harry's the one time was 70 at my house I got there and there was over a foot of snow and another time it was 70-80 here and about 110 in their yard. I always check the weather there before I leave in the morning since the yard is a huge flat area on the side of the mountains.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:01 PM
ok no doubt let me know rob
Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:07 PM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Well there's nothing to worry about at the junkyard. You break something just move to another car and try again. Just make sure your over 18 and have plenty of tools and an ID when you go to Harry's. You can rent a cart for $2 an hour and an engine hoist for $10 an hour I think. I am probably going there this week for a 2nd gen wiring harness.

They charge to use a hoist now? That's crappy

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:20 PM
Well they have those huge rolling chain hoists but they also have crane hoists to load your truck up. They have tire mounting spots to remove the tires. They built a whole new building and have sports to wash your hands and sell food and drinks now. They had a raise in prices and no longer do $50 tranny week or $80 engine week. They went up $20 now and have a core charge. They also charge an environment tax. It's not to bad. Still very cheap. It's the nicest junkyard I have ever seen and the biggest. I think the government is cracking down on junkyards. I take two of my own carts with whe. I go so I don't have to rent any and I also just cut the engine out and drop it on the car. Then there is to need to rent the hoist or get worried about running out of time since I usually do everything by myself or with a friend. Nice thing is they are open from 9-7 mon-thur in the summer.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:16 AM
Hooters dam it! Cmon Matt

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Sunday, July 28, 2013 1:58 PM
well ive found my leaks guys... clutch fluid (dot3) leak in the trans, and a coolant leak in the head gasket... any thoughts?
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:18 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:Well they have those huge rolling chain hoists but they also have crane hoists to load your truck up. They have tire mounting spots to remove the tires. They built a whole new building and have sports to wash your hands and sell food and drinks now. They had a raise in prices and no longer do $50 tranny week or $80 engine week. They went up $20 now and have a core charge. They also charge an environment tax. It's not to bad. Still very cheap. It's the nicest junkyard I have ever seen and the biggest. I think the government is cracking down on junkyards. I take two of my own carts with whe. I go so I don't have to rent any and I also just cut the engine out and drop it on the car. Then there is to need to rent the hoist or get worried about running out of time since I usually do everything by myself or with a friend. Nice thing is they are open from 9-7 mon-thur in the summer.
Where is this place? Might be worth a drive for some stuff, especially if they still run some kind of specials like that, even if they're a little more than they used to be.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:48 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:
Rob Dotterer wrote:Well they have those huge rolling chain hoists but they also have crane hoists to load your truck up. They have tire mounting spots to remove the tires. They built a whole new building and have sports to wash your hands and sell food and drinks now. They had a raise in prices and no longer do $50 tranny week or $80 engine week. They went up $20 now and have a core charge. They also charge an environment tax. It's not to bad. Still very cheap. It's the nicest junkyard I have ever seen and the biggest. I think the government is cracking down on junkyards. I take two of my own carts with whe. I go so I don't have to rent any and I also just cut the engine out and drop it on the car. Then there is to need to rent the hoist or get worried about running out of time since I usually do everything by myself or with a friend. Nice thing is they are open from 9-7 mon-thur in the summer.
Where is this place? Might be worth a drive for some stuff, especially if they still run some kind of specials like that, even if they're a little more than they used to be.

There are 3 Harry's in PA. Hazleton, Allentown, and Pennsburg. Hazleton is the largest, and has a larger selection of late model stuff. Check out we got used.com, there is info on all 3 yards, and they are starting to list inventories of what cars are sitting in the yard.

There is also Joes Used Auto parts in New Ringgold, PA which has probably the second largest largest u pull it yard attached to it. Won't find many cars newer than maybe 03 there, but they do have a big inventory, and slightly cheaper than Harry's. Its also about an hour and a quarter from the Hazleton Harry's, so you could make your trip more worth while

Friday, August 23, 2013 12:42 AM
Anyone want to help me with an Eco swap? My ld9 is trying to give me something I don't want. Anyone that helps me I will give them some garage time meaning lifts, tools what ever they need as long as the bay is open when ever they need it. I need to try to get this done by tue if possible. I will overnight what ever parts I need. Free pizza or what ever food you guys want too.

Friday, August 23, 2013 3:18 PM
What day? I don't know much but I can be a tool monkey and a comedian hahaa
Friday, August 23, 2013 7:38 PM
I was kind of hoping for someone that already did the swap.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 3:16 AM
Phillip Wathley wrote:What day? I don't know much but I can be a tool monkey and a comedian hahaa
if someone comes that has done it before you can gladly come and help.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:20 PM
Well Phillip, I'm going to hazelton Saturday to pick an engine up.

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:25 PM
I'm from Lancaster, work in New Holland. If you've seen a black GT with the paint falling off and a plate that says MINI TA that's me. I've also got an 02 WS6 that I finally can drive around now that it got inspected.

My wife had a 99 GT that we sold a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's still in the area but it should still have the custom Tiburon wing in the back.

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:41 PM
Should of came to me for inspection lol. I'll help the org out.

Friday, November 15, 2013 9:00 PM
Probably going to Harry's u pull it in hazleton tomorrow if anyone's interested.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search