What should i do? - North East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What should i do?
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 6:56 PM
Well, I'm at a crossroads with what to do with my car. Smells like the catalytic converter is starting to die on it, it needs the quarter panel fixed and it's just a base model cavy. It's a 97 slowly closing into 100,000 miles. It's stock, it's 2.2 Liter and it's an automatic. I almost can't see putting all the money into it to mod it into something nice when I can buy another decent car for 8 grand or potentially less that will have more options and will probably end up not being a base model to begin with.

So what do I do folks? Should I just drive my 97 Cavy, pay off bills as I can and then when it is time look into another car and go from there? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks... I'd even potentially look into a used Malibu and obviously used Cavalier / Sunfires... I'm just not sure what to do with this one if it is worth dumping the money into fixing/modding it. Also don't have working AC in this car... grrr, and this commute I have to work it would sure be nice to have working AC!

Re: What should i do?
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:35 PM
Id say wait to buy another J or some newer car but fix the cat smell. Your car is really late in the game to starting putting money into it. Just my thoughts though but its a good way to go.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 3:58 AM
a car is never too later to dump money into...

i dumped mine when i had 176k miles on it...thats when i started...

but since then ive replaced motor/tranny...and my AC hasnt worked for years

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 4:06 AM
its not worth it really

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 6:36 AM
It depends what your other bills are & how long it'll take you to pay them off. It also depends on what you plan to do in the next 3-5 years & what bills that will generate. I'm a sucker for paying off bills before generating new ones, so if i was in your shoes, i'd probably deal with the car you've got. You're 27, so you probably have bigger bills than the typical teenager. At that age (i'm not far behind you) there are usually things that take priority over a cool car

Beware of a used Malibu aka a brake eater! Grand Ams, Malibus and Aleros are all known for needing new brakes pretty frequently.

And besides, i barely use AC even though i have it, it's way more fun to put the windows down

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 7:02 AM
you can prob find a used ecotec J for less than 8G and that will be a good reliable car for a long time that you can make alot faster

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:29 AM
id save up for a nice down payment. and then go out and look for a used Cav or sunfire with an eco.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:35 AM
get the cat fixed and as long as it runs good, id keep it. my cav is at 107k and it runs perfect. theres no need to get rid of a good car if you dont need to.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search