Maryland Exhaust Law - North East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Maryland Exhaust Law
Saturday, April 01, 2006 2:57 PM
I was wondering if any locals knew the actual laws regarding aftermarket exhausts in Maryland. I was pulled over today by a Howard County cop saying that my exhaust was not too loud, but that it was "illegal". When I asked more, he told me that it is, "illegal in Maryland to install any aftermarket muffler that causes the car's noise level to rise." How BOGUS is that!? He gave me a repair order simply checking the "exhaust system" box on it saying I had 30 days to get a "normal" muffler put back on. I'm thinking as long as it doesn't break the dB limit, I should be alright. I might just slap the silencer back on, take it to a shop and have the guy OK it, but before I do, I wanted to ask you guys that might know... What is and what is not legal?

Thanx.

P.S. - I searched for this and found nothing.

Re: Maryland Exhaust Law
Saturday, April 01, 2006 3:23 PM
OK... freakin me out here... what is Maryland smoking?

Found this when searching through Maryland Code:

§ 22-609. Modification of exhaust system.

(a) Modification that increases sound prohibited.- A person may not modify the exhaust system or any other noise abatement device of a motor vehicle driven or to be driven on any highway in this State in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) Operation of improperly modified vehicle prohibited.- A person may not drive on any highway in this State a motor vehicle with an exhaust system or noise abatement device modified in a way prohibited by subsection (a) of this section.

and this:

§ 22-610. Sale of mufflers and other abatement devices.

(a) Sale of nonconforming devices prohibited.- A person may not sell or offer for sale in this State for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle any exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other noise abatement device that, when installed, will permit the vehicle to be operated in such a way that the noise emitted by the vehicle exceeds that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(b) Certificate of compliance.-

(1) The manufacturer of each exhaust muffler, intake muffler, or other noise abatement device sold in this State for use as part of the equipment of a motor vehicle shall file with the Administration a written certification that the particular device, when installed for its intended application, complies with the requirements of this section.

(2) The certification shall be on the form that the Administration requires.

Does this mean that the speed shop i bought the muffler from was supposed to mark "for offroad use only" on it?? Am I really reading correctly that Maryland prohibits the sale and installation of ANY aftermarket exhaust system that causes the noise to rise above OEM sound level? Are they nuts? If thats the case, there are a crapload of speed shops that need to be fined and a TON of motorists whose cars are illegal.

Saturday, April 01, 2006 4:47 PM
welcome to well-known laws about exhaust modifications.

MD is known for being one of the most strict states(aside from California) when it comes to modifying ANYTHING on the car. sorry you weren't aware.

MS Walk April 21 - thanks to those of you who have supported me!
Sunday, April 02, 2006 12:50 PM
I would have to say Maine would be right up there.... Can't modify suspension on anything with ABS, can't alter the exhaust from OEM, must have some sort of side reflector/marker lenses, all front turn signals need to be some sort of orange, 50% is the darkest tint we're allowed, need both plates, registration is one of the most expensive in the country, need back up lights..... oh and btw im assuming that even if you are polite and cooperative having tattoos qualifies as suspicious behavior...

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Sunday, April 02, 2006 6:01 PM
So what have fellow Maryland folks done when pulled over and given a repair order?? There's no way I have to remove my whole exhaust... and there's no way that law actually gets enforced... there has to be hundreds of thousands of cars/trucks/etc. in MD with exhausts modified in some way... there's no way they actually enforce this law... anyone think if I just put the silencer back in, it would pass?

P.S. - I guarantee you that little bastard doesn't pull over the pristine '69 Camaro with Flowmasters... I hate the favoritism...

Sunday, April 02, 2006 7:26 PM
go and get it proven that it's legal. the shop that did the work should be able to sign off on it, if it's a legal exhaust setup. at that point, take the letter to the police and prove it's legal.

if you can't, then you WILL have to change it back to stock.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 11:05 PM
I didnt know MD was that strict seeing as how they dont even have yearly inspections

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, April 03, 2006 2:45 AM
yes, they are that strict...if you get caught.

Monday, April 03, 2006 5:07 AM
Tim what is the ticket for exactly. If the cop says its too loud its an easy one to beat as the only cops that can police the sound level is a State Trooper SGT or up and he has to have a DB meter with all the proper certification. If hes not one of them it doesn't hold water. The only ticket a regular cop can give is a repair order that basicly says you have a leak. Well no leak no problem as MD inspections do not require the DB to pass a certain level. After you get Marvin to fix what the other guy screwed up give me a call I
E-mailed you my cell # . I'll call to a shop that does inspections and ask them what you need to do if they say no holes no issue just come up and get it signed off. Don't panic I'll make a few phone calls and see if I can get you some help.

DISCLAIMER: This being the great state of MD the rules for sound and who can issue a ticket for it may have changed in the past 3 years. I am stateing the laws how they used to read back then.

BTW as for modding your exhaust system here in MD. here are a few illegal things that I know of. Aftermarket hearders of any kind are not street legal in MD and haven't been since the 50's. Cats are a must on cars that came with them. If your car didn't have duel exhaust in some form from the factory it is illegal to put it on yours. ( Side note, the Sunfire is the same car as ours and it did come with duel exhaust so we can legaly run it on ours ) Pipe diameter is also not supposed to be altered either. Luckily most of these either aren't enforced.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, April 03, 2006 5:16 AM
Ok Tim your troubles are over I just called a local ( Howard County ) inspection shop and the owner laughed when I told him. He says the laws have not changed and the only police officer that can issue a ticket in MD for excesive sound is indeed a MD state trooper sgt or better. He said no problem give it a couple days run up here he'll have one of his guys listen to it to make sure you have no leaks and sign off on it for you. NO CHARGE !!! See man no problem at all Give me a call later so I can give you the name and address of the shop.

Monday, April 03, 2006 9:07 PM
I'll give you a call tomorrow afternoon, Terry... thanks so much for hooking me up... it was indeed a Howard County Officer who ticketed me... all it is is a repair order with the "exhaust system" option checked... No note about sound or anything...

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 4:52 AM
Cool thats a no biggie. The shop owner said he'll take care of it for you.

Friday, February 26, 2016 5:04 PM
I have a 2012 Infiniti G 37 xs sedan with. Custom exhaust and would like to get the number and name of the shop you suggested that would take care of this issue. Thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search