DAMN CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - Canadian North East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DAMN CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
Monday, May 02, 2005 3:59 AM
My check engine light keeps comming on, i get i cleared and it comes back about a week later. The code reader says its a code 440, emmissions control sensor, how can this problem be fixed and has anyone had the same problems b4? Thanks if anyone can help

Re: DAMN CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
Monday, May 02, 2005 7:16 PM
buy a new gas cap. It's possible it's leaking by and causing the car to throw evap codes. That's the easy and cheap thing to try.
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:27 AM
do u suppose that will work, i hope so, thanks, i'lll try that
Tuesday, May 03, 2005 9:57 AM
Hey man,

I have the same code on my car, my CAT is shot though... so I don't know if you are having symptoms of that. Usually a gas cap won't throw a 440 but rather a 442. Are you getting the rotten egg smell on moderate acceleration? Also, when the light trips does your car start behaving weird?

Seems like me and you are pretty well in the same boat. Both from Moncton, both experiencing the same code problem, and the kicker.. "kinda scary" both named Kevin.. lol

I am the one who told you about Mr. Lube if you don't remember my post from before, but anyways, let me know how your car behaves.
Monday, June 27, 2005 8:01 PM
this is long past new...
but my check engine light is on as well. it used to come on for a while and then go out after i got gas, so i'm pretty sure mine has something to do with the gas cap...
not it's on full time but I haven't grabbed a new cap to see if it shuts off.
Monday, June 27, 2005 8:13 PM
its prob cheap fuel, alot less that 87 octane, try it

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Tuesday, June 28, 2005 12:58 PM
man i can't help but use cheap fuel, its 99.9/ liter here in moncton, can't afford the good stuff,its well over $1does anyone know how much a new fuel cap is, i may try that, or put some tape over the light so i don't have to look at it!!! It isn't affecting the performance of the car any
Wednesday, June 29, 2005 8:19 PM
i'm not sure that it's the gas.
I used to fill with Supreme until it went through the roof but still got the engine light.

...ever since, I've been The Champ
Friday, July 22, 2005 10:21 AM
My CEL came on last September, and has never ONCE gone out. Car works just like it always did, I always use 87+ octane fuel, but whenever I get gas, I tighten my cap, and when I go to take it off again, it pretty much falls off in my hands. I haven't tried a new cap yet; that might very well be my problem. Like I said, everything works perfect. Just the damn light. That little b*stard is annoying too...

Friday, July 22, 2005 10:40 AM
same as me works great,just light gets annoying!!
Friday, July 29, 2005 3:10 PM
I had the same problem as you guys did with the CEL. They reset it twice and it came back on a week later.
Finally got fed up and told them, it had nothing to do with the gas cap. Turns out they had to do some upgrade to the computer, was all under warranty and has never come back since.

03 Z
RSM Big Brake Kit

Saturday, July 30, 2005 11:15 AM
too bad mine isnt still under waranty but thanks anyway
Thursday, August 04, 2005 5:53 AM
HA! Solved the problem in my car. Bought a OBDII scanner off eBay, threw a 0440 code, researched it, didn't even bother trying a new gas cap (which is more likely to throw a 0442) and discovered that the canister solenoid, located in the right rear of the car, on/by the fuel tank, had really cheap wire connectors put on them by our "quality" guys at GM. Simple, the connnectors wear out, one or both of the wires get disconnected. I put new connectors on, re-attached them, reset the computer, it's all good. Not a big job at all. Just remember tho, a 0440 isn't the same as an 0442, etc. A lot of guys in other forums are saying they are the same, and that's not true.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:03 PM
mine brings up a 440 code also which says emmissions control sensor
Saturday, August 06, 2005 11:33 AM
mine comes on alot to if you have a air intake system that is more then likely the cause because it is trying to register the new air flow coming in

------------------------------
Some people are like slinkies, They are good for nothing but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stair's...
Thursday, February 16, 2006 5:48 PM
i got the same thingy here, one guy at my local garage said he would put a peice of black tape across the light.... im going to buy a gas cap and try that....

What the deuce?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/819414
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search