A couple turbo questions... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
A couple turbo questions...
Friday, February 20, 2009 9:45 PM
For those of you in the know... I'm thinking very seriously about either adding a turbo to my currently 1.8L N/A 85 Buick (after all it is a T-Type, and everyone thinks it has a turbo anyway), or swapping out the engine for a turbo one (mine could probably stand a freshening up, so why not just take the time to rebuild the turbo engine, and drop it all in at once, and I don't want to hunt all the parts individually)...

My first question is about the tranny. Apparently turbo cars only got 4 speed manuals, correct? Why? Can the 5-speed not take the power? I would much prefer to keep my 5-speed. In case I can't/shouldn't keep the 5 vs 4, anyone know the gear ratios for the two?

Second, other than intake/exhaust, turbo and computer is there really any difference in the 1.8 and 1.8 turbo, especially internally...

third, is there any aftermarket for these engines? If I rebuilt the turbo engine, would I pretty much only be able to go back with stock internals, or are the tranny/axles going to be the bottle neck, and not worth boosting power beyond stock without beafing up the tranny?

I guess that's about it for now. Just trying to make sure I'm not heading down the wrong path. With my new job I'm driving roads with much steeper hills, and more of them. I was just getting used to the way it handled on the flatter roads, but now it seems I need to get out and push trying to get up some of these hills at 70... 69... 68... 67... 66... 65 MPH... I love this little car, but it has trouble get out of its own way.

thanks!

Re: A couple turbo questions...
Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:11 PM
First off all, there was only a 5-speed in the 1987 Turbos with the 2.0 engine
Sunday, February 22, 2009 4:58 PM
jason sedlar wrote:First off all, there was only a 5-speed in the 1987 Turbos with the 2.0 engine

Do you know if it's the same 5-spd that was used behind (beside) the 1.8L N/A?
Monday, February 23, 2009 5:51 AM

jason...... i.8 turbo vehicles came with a 4 speed and a 5 speed stick... plus the 3 speed auto.

closer9..... yep ! Didn't start using the Getrag till in the later years. 4 speed was a Muncie tranny.
Monday, February 23, 2009 3:27 PM
Depends how much power you want... I am working towards more in my 84 Turbo... There was a guy selling a sunbird convertible with a Chevy 305 in it on eBay. That looked about my speed

If you are thinking of building with something similiar to what it came with, I would say go with a 1.8 or 2.0 Turbo, or a 3.1 V6 (more work) so you can use oem parts. I know that quad 4s and even turbo 3300s have been put in these cars so you do have some alternatives. An engine swap is quite a bit of work, but your car is really nice, so at least you have a good foundation. I have the 1.8 turbo and I like it, but there is no doubt there were improvements made to the 2.0 turbo that make it a better choice if starting fresh.

I have heard the internals are different between the turbo and non-turbo 1.8s, as well as turbo specific oil and coolant lines. You are going to want to switch computers anyways, and there are a few on this board that can help with 2.0 programming and wiring.

I am sure others will pipe in...

Monday, February 23, 2009 7:28 PM
Well, ideally, I want an original turbo setup, either one. I just want/need a little more power. I really want to keep my 5-spd, and just add a turbo, or swap in a complete turbo motor. I want to keep it seemingly original. I'm really thinking if I can't get the turbo setup I want I may just move on to something else... Not sure though... I just don't want to screw up this clean little Buick.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:29 PM
If base horsepower keeps going up on newer vehicles, we are all gonna have to up the power or get run over...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search