Need Help ASAP - Extra Vacuum Hose? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Help ASAP - Extra Vacuum Hose?
Friday, March 27, 2009 8:44 PM
I put our new shiny new alternator today. Boy that was fight. Had to modify the bracket cause the jackass who put the last one on didn't put the right one on and screwed me over. Anyway, I had to remove quite a few connectors and hoses/vacuum lines to get my little hack saw in there. I thought I had them all back to their respective places, but I've got one coming off the passenger side of the TB that I'm not sure where it goes. And now the engine runs like complete @!#$, and will barely even idle. I have to give it a lot of gas. She just won't stay running. So I'm thinking this is probably a pretty important line. I can't keep her running long enough to get out of the driver's seat and get to the line to see if it's pulling vacuum or needing it.

It's a small line, maybe 8" long, coming off the TB on the PASS side.I was wondering if one of you guys with the 1.8L non turbo cause take off your air cleaner and snap a couple close up pics of the TB from the pass side, front, and driver's side for me. I've got the one that goes to the EGR on, and I know that one is right. But the line is about the same size as the EGR line.

Or maybe if someone has the a routing diagram or something... Idk. I'm lost. I can snap a pic tomorrow of the one I mean, it got dark by the time I got the damn thing together. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Re: Need Help ASAP - Extra Vacuum Hose?
Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:15 PM
I will try to help minus pics(cardomain is down for maint) but the 1.8 and 2.0 have about the same tbi.The only vac lines or line I see are one coming off the map sensor which it is on the firewall and goes to the tbi and is closest to the back of the tbi.The egr vac line is directly closest to the pcv valve hose.And the only other vac line comes off the evap cannister goes by the alternator and to the tbi and is also right at the pcv hose.I am thinking u pulled the map sensor hose being the car wont run,this would be the only line that would kill the car running in most cases.If I get the chance I will take a pic sunday of mine and think the map is prolly ur problem.There are only 4 hard metal tubes on the passenger side of the tbi and 1 is egr,2 pcv 3 map sensor and 4 evap cannistor doing a quick look in my garage.I try the pics unless u resolve it first.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:18 PM
Thanks for the reply. You are the first gen guy around here aren't you?

I'll try to get a photo myself tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain. Hopefully I can stick my head under the hood long enough to get a pic, maybe find the MAP sensor.

I got a bonus while doing the alt though. Found out the upper starter bolt wasn't even in the starter. it was just chillin on top of the transmission bell housing. Put that back in and she starts a whole hell of a lot easier now. That was interesting...

Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:22 PM
Okay thanks for the help Rom, It was the MAP sensor. She runs fine now.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 9:26 PM
Yeah I do frequent the jbody alot on tues,wed, and sat nites.I figured the map was the issue based on the problem.Glad you found it.And also anytime you want to check out all my work just go to cardomain and either type in ronsoldcav or go the 85 cavaliers u will see my page I do not have the link handy right now to make it easy.I would say that I and darrly and paul are the most commom with the 1st gens.I tend to post up stuff alot especially with pics so people know what the heck I have done and if parts are avail or not and cardomain is where I show the progress of my car as I have time and money to do it.Next is my front axles both are being repl which I have along with a new input shaft seal which is leaking.Glad to help where I can.R

Thursday, April 02, 2009 2:55 PM
Glad you are back on the road!

Friday, April 03, 2009 12:52 AM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

I'm still stuck on the engine though. At least she's drivable now.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search