Part Out and Sob Story - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Part Out and Sob Story
Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:06 AM
So yeah, we bought this 84 Vert 2 weeks ago. I got it running last week. I was driving home late last night from work and I was going relatively slow because there are a lot of deer out this time of year. Well, driving along, 35mph's or so, and I come over this hill and around a alight right bend, and BAM, there's a @!#$ deer right in the middle of the road. So I slam on the brakes and swerve to the right to avoid it, which I manage to do (Thank god for good tires!). Problem is, I went off the road a bit, and I must have hit a rock or something, cause just about 50-100 feet down the road from the deer, the engine starts smoking, and knocks to a stop. Wonderful. Look under it and there's a nice 3 inch gash in the oil pan. So yeah, the motor is seized.

Anyway, that's the sob story.

The part out is official. So if you guys need anything, and if I can remove it, it's for sale. 84 Sunbird Vert white, auto. We are keeping the new alternator I put on, and the wheels and tires. Everything else is for sale (Again, only if I can remove it). the weather stripping is all shot, but the glass is all there. The seats are in decent to good condition. It's a light tan (Almost a light sand?). Tail lights, bumpers most of the panels (Not sure if I'd be able to remove the panels though).

Let me know what you guys need. When the rain stops, I'll snap some pics for ya so you guys can see what she looks like.

Re: Part Out and Sob Story
Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:08 PM
How do the door moldings look? I need the little ones in between the door and front wheel well also. Back window moldings?

I could use a passenger side chrome strip for the bottom, but that would be too much to ship...

Thats about all I think I need right now.

Sunday, April 05, 2009 12:23 PM
Really sorry to hear about that. Fortunately the car was all that was hurt...

Was it power windows? If so, I might be interested if shipping doesn't kill the deal. Might also be interested in the driver's side door still plate if it's black.
Sunday, April 05, 2009 11:36 PM
Yes, it's power windows, closer9. The driver's side door still? Gonna need you to point that out, same for Paul. Sorry, I'm tired, and I can't think about what it is you guys need.

Paul, I'm gonna take some pics all around the car tomorrow. It's supposed to be sunny. Can you point out what you need? I'm not sure if I know what your talking about exactly and I want to make sure I remove the right part. As for the door moldings, I'll take a look tomorrow when I snap the pics. See if I can get them out.

Monday, April 06, 2009 6:10 AM
sorry, I meant SILL plate. Runs the length of the door opening and covers the edge of the carpet. and definitely interested in power windows.
Monday, April 06, 2009 12:11 PM
Okay, I'll look into that.

What from the power windows do you want? Everything? The switches, glass, regulators and all that jazz?

Monday, April 06, 2009 12:32 PM
I would need everything necessary to convert my manual windows. I would assume glass is all the same, so I should only need motors/regulators, switches (with the little mounting pod), and wiring back to fuse box... please.

and if you would, please post some interior pix. I can't remember how much difference there is in the interiors (mine is a Buick). I need a few little pieces here and there, nothing big...
Monday, April 06, 2009 7:01 PM
Sure guys. I keep trying to get pics, but it's supposed to rain all week. I'm gonna see if I can get some tonight to come out at least decently...

Closer9, that may take me awhile to remove. It might be a weekend project. And as for the door sill, there looks like there's two. There's one on the door jam to carpet area, and there's one on the rocker. I'll take a picture for you.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 1:13 PM
Pics as promised!

And just for @!#$s and giggles, here's one of my new HID's in my truck...

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 6:54 PM
Thanks for the pix.

Well, it looks like the door sill piece I need is gray, so probably won't work, but I would still like to have the power windows. I'm in no hurry, been cranking them up/down since I got it, but you know... nice weather is almost here, and I do love to have the windows down. This would also give me an excuse to fix the driver's side power lock switch, and maybe add keyless entry...
Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:03 PM
could use the power mirror control switch, if it has power mirrors..the windshield washer jug if it was firewall mounted, how's the drivers door bottom..need a drivers door if it is not rusted out at bottom seam..also need clips for body side moldings..the moulding that is in the middle of the door..the clips are plastic and about 2.5" long,,they attich to rivit studs on the door skin.. rotate them as you raise them to remove them..need 5 or 6, and possibly the molding as well..Let me know asap..
Thanks
Peter
ps: sad about your vehicle...

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:30 PM
That is such a shame. The car looks awesome in white. I need the part directly under the outside of the rear windows on both sides. I can't see it too well in the pics.

Also the little black/silver moldings just in front of the doors if they are in good shape.

Maybe the distributor also...

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 7:44 PM
Not sure about the mirror control switch. I'm pretty sure it's manual mirrors. That one on the driver side only controls the driver's side, but the pass side doesn't have one...
The washer jug I believe is on the firewall. The door doesn't seem to be all that rusty It's not rusting through as i can tell, but I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I think the only part of it that's rusty is that corner which could probably be an easy fix. If you buy the door, you can have the moldings and everything with it, except the window regulator which will hopefully be going to closer9. Where about's are you? Shipping a door is gonna be pricey. If you need the door ASAP and you get back to me by Wednesday and I can probably have it removed by Friday.

Closer9, I'm gonna see if I can move the car to a friend's house and take everything apart over there. it would make life easier. He has a garage. I'll keep you all posted.

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 11:33 PM
So let me get this straight.You are going to part the car out simply bc the motor needs to be redone.I realize the cost but,heck engine rebuilds and parts are pretty avial and a oil pan can be found.I would rethink ur decision unless u feel the cost of making a classic toast and needs work to make it cherry over time,I would do the eng rebuild.I know u posted this but,heck I have to try a persuade u to rethink having a 23 yr old cool azz old car with a newly rebuilt eng(think of as brand new) with true potential.R

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 9:50 AM
I know what you mean Ron, really I do. But unfortunately after we bought the car, I lost about half my hours at work, so the plans for the restore were on hold. Just as long as it was drivable, which it was. I was going to wait until the summer when my hours were going to be restored and then start restoring her. But since the engine went, I'm having a hard time trying to come up with the funds to rebuild the an engine. Instead of rebuilding the engine, I'm parting it out because 1, we could really use the extra cash while my job is slow, and 2. you guys all need parts anyway!

Don't worry Ron. In the short time I had her, I loved her. We may get another one later on in a year or so... But for now, she's going for parts.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 10:06 PM
Okay, I'm making a list. Here it is. If it's wrong, correct me. I'm going to attempt top remove most of this stuff this friday.

For Paul:
Front Fender Moldings (both Sides, between door and wheel well)
Rear Quarter Moldings
Pass side chrome strip (Will see about the shipping, if it's too much, I'll give it to the junk yard)
Moldings under mirrors
Possibly Distributor (if I can remove it)

For Closer9:
Power window regulators
Power window switches, and all wiring possible up to fuse box

For peter farr:
Washer jug
Driver Door

I'm also going to remove the top possibly. It's newer and sealed. Front bumper with lens's. The hood. Tail Lights. Trunk Lid. Wiper arms. Both Mirrors.

If there is anything else I need to remove then let me know. It will probably be heading to the junk yard next week.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 1:49 PM
you should find an engine for her and keep her going, these models are getting pretty rare.
and yours has a few rare parrs, it is very rare to see a temps, oil and battery gauge in those old type dash, and that steering is also a rare type for those old bird.
the body seemes to be in a fair shape, you should take your time and restore her.

Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:50 PM
Birdboy, I've already got that long time project. I've got no space. I've got a 67 Buick LeSabre sitting in a Storage place. I got one hell of a deal on it and I could not pass that up, so it's sitting in the storage. I work on it when I can, and when have the time. Whenever we move into a house, I'll take her out of storage and really get her running. It's got the original 455 big block and when I bought it a few years ago, she was running. The frame and body are almost perfect minus a few rough areas, but she's solid. I live in a apartment so no place to put another project unfortunately. Believe me guys, If I could I would. I really would.

Update though. I've got the front bumper off, tail lights, washer jug and door panels. Getting ready to attempt to remove the window regulators for the door, and the driver door.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:22 AM
If you plan on taking the top off shoot me a pm on how much your looking to get for it.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Monday, April 13, 2009 3:22 PM
Hey, how's the part out coming along? Were you able to get it in you're friend's garage before you started?
Monday, April 13, 2009 9:10 PM
Not yet. Last week was rain non-stop. this week is looking to be sunny all week, so I'm hoping to get more done. It looks I won't be able to use his garage though. I' going to be getting a giant tarp and use that to cover her over night while I take everything off.

Will post again in the next couple of days when I have some progress.

Friday, April 17, 2009 11:14 AM
Landlord called me yesterday and gave me 24 hours to get the car out of the driveway.

I called all my buddies trying to find a place to put her until I can get everything off for you guys, but no body had any room, so I had to call the junk yard, and they just picked her up.

I'm sorry guys. I asn't expecting to have the landlord call me. There were plates on it still, and it was still registered, but he gave me 24 hours to remove it. Idk why...

Anyway, this can be locked by a mod or something. I don't have the car anymore, so no parts.

I'm really sorry guys. He just hit me with this. I'm really sorry.

Saturday, April 18, 2009 9:25 AM
Well, poopie... that's two sets of power windows now that have alluded me... Oh, well... thanks anyway. Sorry, you had to get it gone...
Sunday, April 19, 2009 1:58 PM
Closer-

I know where is interchange with internal door parts between our cars and the third gen Camaros. You many have some luck there. I would look at interchange info. I replaced my door locks with Camaro locks from an 88. You can add keyless through an alarm - thats what I did. My new interior had power lock buttons but my car does not, just keyless entry.

I also added a trunk pop. I don't think I will route that through the alarm, although I could...

I can look at parts galore next time I go. Most of the first gens that come in now are grandma fresh base models though. We had a real clean 85 Sunbird hatch come in last week. Shipping would stink on the big stuff, and the wiring is probably easier to do yourself. I would be willing to get and ship you specific parts if you give me your wish list.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 7:03 PM
Hey, thanks... Yeah, I'll look into the Camaro stuff. I do have power locks, and have switched out the buttons with NOS Camaro buttons, however, the driver's side switch doesn't work. I was thinking about adding an alarm/keyless setup to get the trunk pop, but if you find something I'd be interested...

I really think if I can just find motors/regulators I can take care of the rest, however switches/pods would sure make it easier...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search