Convertible Tops - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Convertible Tops
Friday, April 17, 2009 11:20 AM
Hey all,

Been a while since I have posted. This morning, I took the cover of my car, and pulled it out of the barn. My top is falling apart... Did our cars come with vinyl or canvas originally?

Anyone have success replacing their top themselves? Any recommendations on where to buy the top?

I either need to replace the top... or find it another home. I only drive it about 300 miles a season...

Take care,

Bob Hall
83 Sunbird Convertible

1983 Sunbird Convertible

Re: Convertible Tops
Friday, April 17, 2009 7:08 PM
As far as I know, original tops were vinyl. If you are going to get a new top for your '83, look for one with a zipper rear window. This will extend the life of the window because you can un-zip it so that it is not bunched up as bad when stored in the well. The person I spoke to also said to have a towel that you can put over the window to reduce scratches when stored.
Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:36 PM
Ok, surely someone has tried to replace their top... Anyone do one without doing one before? I am handy with fixing things..but never have done a convertible top...kinda intimidating.

Anyone have a preferred place to buy the top?

Thanks

Bob Hall
83 Sunbird Convertible

1983 Sunbird Convertible
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:01 PM
Check out http://www.topsdown.com see if they do not carry what u need. They specialize in vert parts and anything associated with them.I do believe they carry stuff for first gens but wont swear to it.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:25 AM
I did my own on the cheap. Bought top on ebay, replaced window vinyl myself (had access to commercial sewing machine) and reused all other parts, total cost less than $100.00 with enough left over clear vinyl to replace window 1 more time if needed. I'm not to concerned about perfection, most of the time my vert is driven with top down and stored in a garage. There are some stretches I couldn't remove so it's not perfect, but I don't show this car. If you take your time it's pretty easy.

Some other pics at:
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,477,00.html

I do have a word doc on installation I could email you if you like
Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:17 PM
Darrell86LE, you sir have inspired me to do my own top. At $1600 for a shop to do it is a little out of my price at the moment. Where did you get the rear window, did it come with the kit?

Paul
Monday, July 06, 2009 4:34 AM
got the vinyl at
Auto Trim Site
I went with 40 g vinyl and not the KalGlass didn't need the UV treatment as the top is almost alway down or under cover.

Bought the replacement top at
Ebay store
She had just bought this closeout inventory and had my top in black, looks like she only has white left.
Monday, July 06, 2009 2:49 PM
Thanks, Darrell86LE!!!!! When I get started on this top I may be contacting you about installation if that's ok. I hope it will be soon because my top is shot.
Friday, July 10, 2009 8:13 PM
Darrell -

6 light front ends rule!!!

Nice Car!

Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:45 PM
There are a couple of good write-ups on the V6 site, too.

I just replaced the top on my car, although I did a "bad thing" and pulled a used top off a car I was stripping and installed it on mine, frame and all. It went well, but I do have some suggestions. Find an air stapler or an electric staple gun strong enough to drive staples through up to 3 layers of vinyl plus the tack strip. I used an old Paslode stapler with 3/8" staples for most of the operation. Also, be prepared for the tack strips to be bad. Mine were split in a million places and had to be replaced. I ended up buying some universal tack strip and drilling rivet holes in the strip. I've got part numbers for the correct size rivets (they are between 3/16" and 1/4") available from Grainger. I chose to use a urethane adhesive / sealant under the tack strip. I think GM used somethign like 3M Strip Caulking.

gl

-->Slow
Sunday, July 12, 2009 7:42 PM
Darrell86LE wrote:I did my own on the cheap. Bought top on ebay, replaced window vinyl myself (had access to commercial sewing machine) and reused all other parts, total cost less than $100.00 with enough left over clear vinyl to replace window 1 more time if needed. I'm not to concerned about perfection, most of the time my vert is driven with top down and stored in a garage. There are some stretches I couldn't remove so it's not perfect, but I don't show this car. If you take your time it's pretty easy.

Some other pics at:
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,477,00.html

I do have a word doc on installation I could email you if you like

Wow, I love that black!
is there a picture thread somewhere for 83-86 Sunbirds? I see the same color everyday

Monday, July 13, 2009 3:53 AM
Just wanted to add part numbers. Marson SSB67SKL gets stainless rivits, SB67KL is for standard steel rivits. Grainger # 1PLW9 gets a box of 50 steel rivits for about $18.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search