Engine swap - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine swap
Monday, April 27, 2009 11:16 AM
Im looking into buying a first gen hatchback cavy. It has a bad hadgket and a spun bearing. Since they are easier to come across, which year 2.2s will fit in the car? I thought I had read 96 or older. Ive been reading and and considering the mpfi swap also. Any info would be great. and also where do you get replacement body panels for these cars?

Re: Engine swap
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 10:58 PM
No panels are made aftermarket wise to my knowledge.As for the engine fit with the first gens you should be able to drop in a 2.8 or 3.1 but u do have to do some electrical changes like the ecu and possibley the mounts (obvious change).There is a old post on here from sharkey who did just a change but I think he dropped in a 3400 out of a ghey mini van and his page on cardamain may still be there unless he deleted it.As for the 2.2 I do not know with the newer engines what will fit right off hand.I would do the 3.1 simply bc it was designed for the 1st gens body and the changes are some what easier like motor mts and trans stuff and u can get the ecm's pretty easy and the harness should not be to hard to get like from painlesswiring if u had to.The body panels are junk/salvage yards only.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:36 AM
ZsZ.... check your mail.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:19 AM
Get hold of me Cory I can shoot some ideas your way.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search