Most Expensive Single Repair? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Most Expensive Single Repair?
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:17 PM
Just for fun...

What is the most expensive repair you have ever paid for on your J, or any car for that matter?

I will start off...

I spent $1497 for a cat converter and downpipe assembly and installation on my 87 Chevy Turbo Sprint back in 1989. 3 Cylinders of Fury! This is obviously before I learned that turning a wrench is good for the soul. I sold that car to buy my Sunbird.

Re: Most Expensive Single Repair?
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:24 PM
I had a friend take his car in for a simple tune up change the spark plugs etc. Somehow sparkplug got broken off inside and was build $3000 in labor take take the engine apart to fix.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:42 PM
ouch... I spent $500 to get a new timing chain in my '96 Grand Prix GTP... It was my only running vehicle at the time, and I NEEDED it fixed quick... That is the main reason I always try to have at least one spare running vehicle. It would be tough to say whether the Avalanche or Buick is the spare right now though...
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:16 PM
Shame on me, I should have started with my Sunbird:

In 1990, I paid a Pontiac dealer $1129 to install a new power steering rack and replace a trans bearing. Then there is the $750 they wanted each time the headgasket blew...

Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:08 PM
I forget exactly, but close to $2000 for head gasket & spark plugs on my 97 Grand Am.

I recently paid about $450 for my steering rack in the Skyhawk, and who knows what I'll be paying for my transmission...
Friday, April 17, 2009 11:17 AM
Close to $3000(I think) for 4 new ABS/Wheel Speed Sensor (Meaning 4 new hubs) in an 01 Grand AM GT, New ABS Motor Pack and installation and I think they did the intake gaskets at the same time, but I don't remember, it was a long time ago.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:18 AM
These are always fun threads because we realize we are not alone...

In 94, I paid $2700 for a new engine (top to bottom), clutch, and turbo for my 84. Then the head gasket blew and they said it was my fault, calling the adjustable wastegate actuator an aftermarket mod... Then the lawsuit... I sued them, they declared bankruptcy. Good Times.

Saturday, May 02, 2009 2:59 PM
I'm a piker by comparison.... I replaced the turbocharger module in my '84 Sunbird (J2000). Raw cost? About 250 bucks for a new Garrett T-2.0 at the local diesel supply facility. the dealership wanted about $1800 to do the whole thing - so I did it meself.....
At the time, there was about 180,000mi on the odo, and we got rid of the car with about 215,000mi on it! Great little car!! (Led me into my current '89 turbo Bird - and my '07 Solstice GXP.....)
Hope this helps,
Moe
Wednesday, May 06, 2009 9:00 AM
I may have to update this once I fix my Camaro. I launched hard with the stock 10 bolt + 4.10 gears + drag radials = busted rear end.

The proper fix will be a 12 bolt...

Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:33 AM
I paid maybe $7k for a clutch in a 57 pickup.

Started with pulling the clutch then having to wait over night while the machine shop guys to machine my flywheel.
Then I decided I'd have them turn down the ends of a 1" tie rod from a late 70's 4X4 to fit the 57, which added a few more days.
Then, since I was running up a bill anyway, I pulled the front wheel cylinders and had them sleeved with brass.
Then, since I was already down for most of a week, I decided I'd just replace the RH step with a panel I'd already bought.
Then, 3 years later it was a fully restored truck. Longest and most expensive clutch job I've ever done.

As far as paying another shop to do work, I think $600 to replace the ragtop on my last Sunbird convertible is the highest I've paid out for work on a car, and more than once I've spent several thousands on machine work on engines I'm building.

-->Slow
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search