How much should labor cost for engine swap? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How much should labor cost for engine swap?
Friday, May 08, 2009 11:22 PM
First, background.

I was driving my 1984 Sunbird Convertible from Rugby, ND on my way to Menomonie, WI, on my way to several points beyond. Approximately 2 miles past Clearwater, MN, the car shuddered (thinking the TPS had gone bad again), then began struggling (felt like perhaps transmission), then a pop and a puff of smoke and the knowledge that the engine was gone. There was no oil left when it came to a stop. I still haven't found exactly what it was (bearing seal, connecting rod, God hating me), but I knew that I wasn't giving up on the car I'd searched for for years. So I've got the remanufactured engine, and I just wanted to know a reasonable estimate for labor.

Thanks. I'll post pictures when I get the chance.

Re: How much should labor cost for engine swap?
Friday, May 08, 2009 11:25 PM
Oh, I forgot to add - it is a 1.8 non-turbo SOHC (thus TBI). I know, I know, I have the wussy engine of the lot.
Monday, May 11, 2009 2:51 PM
Kevin-

First, congrats on documenting the exact sounds of the failure... My 84 1.8 Turbo gave up the ghost in a similiar manner, but it was preceded by knock, knock and no oil pressure unless high rpms... I ended up throwing a rod...

Anyhowm is it an auto? Any thoguhts of doing it yourself? I have seen these engines go in from underneath with a special jig to hold the trans in place (I think you can make something). I would not play for the labor, but it you were, I would expect near a grand. I paid like $700, but that was in 1994.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:03 AM
Well this is definately scary--I have a 1.8 and have no choice right now but for it to be my daily...

How many miles were on these motors when they gave up?

Is this something common to the 1.8 for it to be running just fine until suddenly BOOM?
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:26 AM
well I have access to alldata and the labor is 27 hours if i recall correctly, plus a little if you have a/c, ps, etc. just multiply by the shop rate and thats what you can expect
Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:31 PM
Well, I was quoted 1001 dollars - so Paul, I'd have to say you were right on. It is an automatic, but because of my location (many, many miles from any reasonable base) I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay for the labor. If they had quoted me at 27 hours, I guarantee it would have been more than $1000, so I think they are probably closer to 12-14.

Anyways, thanks for the input.

Also, mine had (most likely) 66,000 miles. Technically, it could have had 166,000, but I am fairly doubtful of that. I think the North Dakota winter may have been far too hard on it.
Friday, May 15, 2009 8:28 PM
Also think about installing a new water pump while you're at it.
My new engine didn't come with that. Sounds like I have the exact same car as you.
The install sounds about what I hade to pay as well.
I just put on a new top and uh oh, got a Macco paint job , otherwise I would have junked it.
Friday, May 15, 2009 9:27 PM
Mine had 128K on it when it went...

I had just painted it, I fixed it. It blew the headgasket and I parked it for 8 years as I was pretty mad and went out and bought my Camaro. I then picked it up and started again. Headgasket, then paint, then mods, then interior, then brakes, next suspension, top, bigger turbo, maybe bigger engine all together. Who knows.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search