Rescued from the crusher - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rescued from the crusher
Tuesday, May 12, 2009 9:06 PM
Hi Everyone...I thought I'd post for the first time and share my 1st project. My GF and I wanted to have a ragtop to enjoy the local Drive-In
on Sat nites. I found an 87 Cavalier RS vert on Indy CL from a small dealer in SE Indiana. So we went to see it and it was a mess. He
had it parked under a canopy never putting the top up because it was trashed. The interior was ok but the floors were wet and there was
twigs and leaves all over. It ran but not well...the exhaust was gone and he had to jump start it. We drove it around the block and it stalled
each time I pulled up to a stop. We got it back to the dealer and was going to leave it at that thinking we didn't want that much of a project.
But as we were driving back to Indy I felt like i was leaving an abandoned puppy at an animal shelter who just wanted a chance at a new life.
So after we talked about it for a while I called the dealer back the next day to see if we could work something out. He had wanted $500 for it
and although i was going to offer him less but he offered to bring it to me on his car trailer. We agreed and now after 4+ months in the garage
we have it roadworthy, thanks in large part to all the great info here on J-body and V6Z24. Still lots to do but we'll have some fun this summer.

Re: Rescued from the crusher
Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:27 PM

Hey man, I thought I'd post up a pic of your car from your profile page to go in your thread so folks could see it. Nice find! She looks fairly solid (compared to others I've seen up north). Good luck bringing her back to life, and welcome to JBO! .

Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:29 PM
Sweet!

Thanks for connecting the dots for us Daryl!

Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:05 PM
Thanks for the help, Daryl. I'm not quite savvy enough for putting pics in the post, I guess.
My little Cavi has been running around the streets of Indy for about a month now...pretty cool
to have the wind blowing on my bald head.
Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:12 PM
Great find and thanks for saving it. I am working on restoring an '86 Z vert. Your car looks to be solid, just needs a good wax and some TLC.

Paul
Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:17 PM
Nice grab!

Welcome

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 8:23 PM
Unfortunate update.
I was enjoying my little cavi but I couldn't get it to start about a week ago.
Fuel pump not running...probably sounds familiar. I traced voltages back
to the rear connector behind the gas tank and it's good to that point which
only leaves the wiring at the pump or the pump itself. I really don't want to pull
the tank down...I don't really have a way of lifting it to get to it.
Any suggestions?
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 10:22 PM
I CAN help you there!!!! . I have replaced my fuel pump on my 85 and it's EASY. Put the car on ramps in the rear then disconnect the ground wire on the battery.Then you should have two hoses on the tank to break loose and two tank straps and it will drop down.I would keep in mind use some liquid wrench on the tank strap bolts/nuts b4 hand a day or so,and this job took me 3 hrs total NEVER did this before and it was EASY!!!! I spent more time cleaning up and putting away tools than the job overall.So to make it easy crawl under then car lube with a penetrating fluid the day b4 on the strap hardware,then have the car on ramps when u do this for clearance,and all you have to do is break loose the 2 straps, 2 hoses for the filler neck,and disconnect the electrical connections,and then remove the pump.I spent 45.00 on the pump in 98 and the time to remove/install and clean up and put up tools.I know this sounds like a big job if u have never done it but,it is easy and it may take some more time or less if a hose is stuck or the tank straps won't come loose problems in general.Like I said use some car ramps or jack stands to lift the rear end up a foot or more you will have lots of room my ramps are like 10 inches in height or so and worked fine.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 9:56 AM
As always, nice tech info Ron! Thanks.

Good luck getting the pump in there Doug!

Monday, August 24, 2009 9:03 PM
5 weeks later...well, never got around to putting in the fuel pump and now
will some work related projects coming up not to mention I'm running
out of space I am thinking of parting with it. I don't really want to list it or
see it turned into clunker junk so if anyone has any interest let me know.
Other than the pump (and it definately needs a new top although the hydraulics
work) it's in fairly good shape.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search