about to jump into a world of fun! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
about to jump into a world of fun!
Monday, April 20, 2009 2:26 PM
Hey guys, I just ripped out my 1.8t with a destroyed N/A turbocharged engine (I found out the original engine was replaced after it blew, and they got the wrong motor).

I am trying to replace EVERYTHING within and around the motor...I got it bored .50 over, and just had it assembled. It hasnt gone back in yet, as I havent done ALL of my research, and am still a little freaked out to break it......again...

This project has been a LONG time coming...I lost my job 2 weeks before the engine was comlete..and now have enough to get it and hopefully everything I need.

Ok..so I am just trying to run this by all the gurus here to make sure I am not about to destroy my brand new engine. I need to get :

A new turbocharger (I am not sure what will fit my manifold, or if anything besides the stock t2 WILL fit)

Get rid of that horrid hot pipe (I have a fairly large intercooler[probably too large], piping, tclamps and what not.

A decent boost controller, and....would it be smarter to get an external wastegate and a new turbo, or just get a new turbo with an internal wastegate??

I will need a very large amount of vacuum lines and T's to rerun all the vacuum lines.

New radiator hoses.

(have a new water pump)

anything about power steering /brakes I didnt mention?

New engine mounts.

BOLTS, BOLTS and MORE BOLTS!

Coolant, oil, brake fluid, tranny fluid(Obviously).

Anyway, Im SUPER excited about this!!! I will be putting it in myself as I took it out myself, plus...ill be blowing all my $ on the engine itself and parts.

Its an 86 sunbird gt turbo vert that has been our garage since I was 15 (of course, it was near death when we got it). It is in decent shape for its age (drivers seat broken, a few scratches, currently no engine, shifts like...well...like there are rocks in the transmsision, suspension is good, brakes are....in need of attention).

Soo....if you know any secrets or advice that I havent mentioned, PLEASE let me know I just want this beauty back to stock (and then I'll play...)

Re: about to jump into a world of fun!
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:09 PM
bump?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:52 PM
Glad to hear you are getting into it.

Make sure you do research on your parts before you go hog wild and buy everthing. There have been many advances since these cars were made that you should take into account, even just between the 1.8 and 2.0 engines.

You are on the right track with the fluid flushes. Might want to check suspension bushings and brake hoses as they do not age well.

Read up on the forums and internet on turbos. I have a oil cooled T2. Your 86 came stock with an oil and Water cooled T2 - much better. Look into posts and profiles here, there are quite a few nice setups. Some SAAB and Dodge turbos can be found used and modified for more power, even the TBird Turbo.

Research / Research!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:24 PM
Thanks!

One thing that I am not sure of....can the 1.8t use an atmospheric bov (I am trying to put it back together using the wonders of technology and make her last as long as possible) or does it need to be recirculated (I havent looked at the completed engine in...well..its been awhile)?
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:08 AM
So going 50 over did you use 2.0 pistons or where did you get them?
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:32 PM
LA...... a bov is used so your turbo doesn't go into "surge" mode. To explain... you are making 10# of boost, and all of a sudden you have to snap the throttle closed. Well guess what, the turbo's still spinning @ 100,000 rpm and still making boost. Where does this boost go? Well it backs up and starts to reverse charge the turbo, that's why without a bov they make strange noises. Wastegates regulate how much boost you can make before they start to bleed off exhaust to prevent overboosting engine. They still can go into surge mode though, even with a wastegate.

Darrell86LE..... a .050" 1.8 piston is actually bigger than a stock 2.0 piston. Only problem is when boring the block you'll hit water! "If" I can still think correctly, the replacement pistons are measured in millimeters. Big difference in the amount of material removed. .050" equals1.27mm..... and .50mm equals only .01969, or as we would say .020" over.

Paul... interesting on the T-2 turbo. Never saw one of the GM J-bod ones water cooled, others yes, but not ours. What apps were they on, only Pontiacs, cause Buick never had one/any.
Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:26 PM
Alan-

The watercooled were on the later pontiacs. I am pretty sure it started in 87 when the power bumped to 165. I had heard they were put on earlier cars as a service replacement if there were recurring issues.

Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:17 PM

Paul.... can't beat that deal. Take car in for service, and they hang a T-25 on her ! Sure must have made the 1.8 very happy
Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the great advice guys!

Motorman: I know the purpose of a BOV, but I was unsure if I needed to purchase an atmospheric or recirculatory blow off valve. I have seen many turbocharged vehicles put an atmospheric on their car, only to get all sorts of problems. After they switch to a recirculatory BOV, most of their problems can be fixed. (note, these are mainly VW's, which almost all require recirculatory BOV's)
Saturday, May 02, 2009 7:04 PM
I do have another problem. I am picking up the fresh engine this week...but.....where the last engine was removed..many labeled bags of bolts have "mysteriously" dissapeared from the parts cabinet, and about 90% of the labels on all of the unhooked wiring has "somehow" come off.

So. I am missing LOTS of bolts, and.....I have a wad of wires. And no idea what goes where. Somehow the entire negative cable was taken off? It was just laying in the engine bay, laughing at me.

I am 1/2 tempted to take it to a shop and just offer them a large sum of money to put the engine in and get it running....only I dont have enough money to offer.>:o

I tried searching the forums for a step by step turbo engine install, or even just a pictoral, but couldnt seem to find much of anything.

The haynes manual of course has engine diagrams and install pictoral procedures of every engine BUT the 1.8t...
Sunday, May 03, 2009 8:32 AM
LA.... I didn't say you knew nothing about bov's/wastegates, but rather than go into a long winded disertation, I try to explain "things" for the good of the not so knowledgeable masses. If your knowledgebase is so much higher, just skip over the dull/boring info and continue on !

As for your example of a recirculatory BOV, they are vented into the pre turbo airstream. Some vehicles use a MAFS, and you can't vent the bov after this sensor. If you do, the ecm gets it reading from the mafs and tells ecm how much fuel/air to supply. What you have done now is add additional air to the system, and this really confuses the ecm. Result is usually to rich an a/f ratio, fouled plugs and possibly a loused up cat/convertor due to the first items. Car will also run like a pos ! Be careful where you vent/ hook them up.

External vented bov's do just that, vent to the atmosphere and all sensors are happy. Problem is they sell them also with a "horn" to magnify the sound of the venting, and many states/countries have now banned there use. Tuner rejection

Sunday, May 03, 2009 12:27 PM
Thank you guys for all the help!

Motorman, thanks for the reminders (it HAS been awhile since I sat and wrenched on this car, I forgot I need to vent POST MAF).

I am having trouble finding a full wiring diagram, if anyone has any clues as to where to find one, it would be greatly appreciated, and ill even buy you an Ale 8 one.

Again, thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it
Sunday, May 03, 2009 2:57 PM
LA.... if you're looking for an entire wiring diagram, I can't help you...... but i'm parting out an '86 Buick t-type turbo hatchback. Still runs and body really isn't all that bad.

Should you need some help/info with underhood wiring, i can help with that, as mine's still complete/intact. Car has the 4 speed Muncie tranny, not auto FWIW.
Sunday, May 03, 2009 4:23 PM
Motorman--

Should probably start a new thread, but I didn't want to without your OK...

If you're parting out the T-type...

I would love the taillights, and I seem to remember someone on here (closer I think) wants window regulators.
Sunday, May 03, 2009 7:17 PM

Actually i'd like to sell the entire car, as IMO it's nice enough to re-do. Car's $600.00.

IIRC closer was after electric windows, this has roll-ups.

PM or email me with your thoughts.
Monday, May 04, 2009 4:43 AM
LA: I sent an email to you with a PDF file of elec dia. Hope it helps. Got it off Chiltons Online, free access though my public Liabrary

I finally bought a Fact Serv Manual off ebay, best $20.00 I've sent on this ride. Wish I had it from the start. Recommended to all wrenchers
Monday, May 04, 2009 4:37 PM
That is correct. I am looking for power windows, and I think I may have them... However, I really wish you were close motorman, I would take the car off your hands...
Tuesday, May 05, 2009 4:44 PM
Well they only made so few of these. Made the hatchbacks in the 2nd half of '86's production run, and then just in '87. Only made 5 in '87.... and it all ended, just like the grand nationals
Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:04 PM
ok, here is another random question. In my never ending search for a way to lengthen the life of my turbo car I am looking at a tial blow off valve.

The only problem is, I am currently installing the engine, and cant get a reading on how much vaccum the engine pulls at idle.

Anyone feel like taking a quick vacuum reading off of a 1.8t at idle???
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search