oil leak on back of engine - thaought it was the oil pressure switch - whatt is it? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil leak on back of engine - thaought it was the oil pressure switch - whatt is it?
Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:34 PM
1984 Cavalier with 2.0 on back of engine (firewall side) there are two sending units that screw into engine. The one on the passengers side is leaking oil. I went to autozone and got an oil pressure switch, but thats the switch on the drivers side (one wire).
The leaking one has 2 wires. Does anyone know what this is called?

Any Help appreciated!

John Masson

Re: oil leak on back of engine - thaought it was the oil pressure switch - whatt is it?
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:08 PM
Ok I can answer this.My 85 with the 2.0 had the exact problem.Leaked like a resevoir at the two terminal sensor for the oil.That is the oil pressure sender.The other sender with 1 terminal is also for the oil but is only for LOW oil and not the oil pressure.I did a quick search at auto zone and they still do carry the part and is listed as a 2 terminal plug or connection and the part number is OPS23301.Now u may want to go to ur local auto zone and probably have to order it I did not pay attention to if it is a in stock item. So I know this answers ur problem and auto zone did not show a picture of the part but,did state that it is a two terminal plug in switch and this should be the part hands down.What happened with mine is oil starting leaking like REALLY bad thru the rubber boot on that sensor and lost a quart of oil driving,I got lucky and stopped at a shop off the highway who actually had sender way back in 98 talk about luck!!!!!!!!now cleaning the mess up was a whole different picture greasy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search