What is this part called? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What is this part called?
Sunday, June 07, 2009 10:13 AM
Fun times--I think I finally pinned down my final leak under the hood.

There is a hose next to the dipstick hose, going from just under the valve cover to the crankcase. There doesn't seem to be a clamp on the bottom end, and I'm thinking there's a small hole in it somewhere...

It looks like a purpose-built hose, so I don't think just any hose will do (like I got for my tranny cooling lines), so that begs the question, what is this hose called so I can maybe get the proper part?

I have a 1.8, non-turbo.

thank you all...this forum rocks!

Re: What is this part called?
Sunday, June 07, 2009 1:46 PM
Wayne....the hose has a clamp at the camshaft housing, that connects the lower section by the dipstick tube, and another at the base.

Clamps are .56 to 1.06". Same setup on turbo and non-turbo engines.

Hose is called the camshaft vent hose, can be located under Group 1.745.

Under the plate that bolts to block that holds dipstick tube assy., there's a gasket between them. Good idea while you have it apart to replace that also. It's called the oil level indicator (dipstick) and vent gasket. Group # 1.516.

Hope this helps ya.....................
Sunday, June 07, 2009 6:06 PM
Yeah, there's no clamp on the bottom side of mine--darn previous owner and his sloppy work...

Since it looks like I'm taking it apart anyway, I'll be replacing that hose--that way I'll also be able to see if the new one has any oil spewed on it.

What are these group #'s of which you speak? I have the service manual for Oldsmobile from 1984 and found it on page 6A2-3
Monday, June 08, 2009 3:42 PM
GM lists all of their parts in groups. This doesn't include all items in the individual groups, but should give you a good idea.

0.000= engines, engine/trans mounting, clutch & controls.

1.000= grilles, cooling systems, oil related parts

2.000= starters,generators/alts, distributors, wiring components, f&r lamps

3.000= fuel systems, turbos, carbs, vac pumps, cruise, emissions, exhaust

4.000= manual trans, auto trans, oil cooler, brakes

5.000= r /drum brakes, r/ axle, diff, wheel covers.

6.000= f/drive, f/suspension, steering systems & components.

7.000= frame components, r/suspension, level control, bumpers.

8.000= f/body parts, spare wheel/jack, heater & components.

9.000= body mounting, a/c, audio, instrument clusters.

10.000= windshield wiper/washers, mirrors, instrument panel, consoles, door hardware,weatherstripping.

11.000= quarter hardware, seat parts-also some in group 14, load floors, interior lamps.

12.000= body ornamentation, tailgate/rear lift hardware, r/wiper-washer, body panels & components, roof & decklid options.

13.000= body electrical, convert trim.

14.000= convert hardware, interior trim-also some in group 11, seat belts.

15.000 engine compartment insulation, r/compartment trim.

This way when you walk into dealer, just tell him you need this part, and he can find it in Group xyz, for year 1987.

WOW ! 2 finger typing really sucks !

Alan
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:10 AM
Interesting--I called a local dealership, and after about 15 minutes of trying to find the part, they said it looks to be simply stock hose (I think he said 5/8ths).

I just don't see how this could be stock hose, because I don't see a way to keep it from laying on the exhaust--wouldn't stock hose just burn up lying against all that heat?
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 2:36 PM
Wayne, on mine there's a steel tube that runs down from the cam housing to the blocks mounting.

The only spot that has a piece of hose is at the very top of this tube. Granted all of my cars are turbo engines. I even checked the 1.8 and it's the same way. Short piece about 2-3" long.

Clean up your assy. and bring it Saturday, will see if I can match it up with a turbo assembly.

Alan
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 5:08 PM
Sorry, but that car isn't fit for the highway until I can afford new shoes. The $ I was expecting for that didn't work out for me, other priorities...

But I will bring a good pic to show you what I mean, and the page from the service manual.
Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:00 AM
Wayne.... gee sorry to hear about that. I've gotta old pair of work boots you might be able to wear... heels are a bit run down & the toes are curved up, but WTH there free. What's your size ?????? LMFAO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search