MPG - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MPG
Saturday, June 06, 2009 6:27 PM
So I have been driving my 84 more and more. With 100% city driving, I am at 20 MPG. Keep in mind I removed my EVAP canister. I am going to get it back in and see how it improves.

How are the rest of doing in the Fuel Economy Dept?

I have the Turbo 4 speed BTW.

Re: MPG
Saturday, June 06, 2009 9:27 PM
I would say I drive mostly highway, more hills now than I used to, but I've been averaging about 29/30. Back when I drove on fewer hills I was getting 31/32, and even though that was fewer hills there was probably more city driving... this is with the 1.8 non-turbo 5-spd...

I'm hoping once I fix my fuel leak and replace the fuel pump that will improve a bit...
Saturday, June 06, 2009 9:38 PM
I forgot to add that I pretty much beat the tar out of it too

Sunday, June 07, 2009 6:21 AM
I have a 1.8 N/A. Apparently, there's no tar in it.
Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:06 AM
My car still thinks its 1984 and Mustang GTs only have 150 HP...

I have fun racing 3.4 (93-97) Camaros. If were are on a roll and the boost is up, I can keep up with many cars up to 75. Off the line I am dead meat though.

Got in a good race with a built 88 Mustang yesterday, I did end up losing though. Thats ok, he is not getting 20 MPG

Sunday, June 07, 2009 10:08 AM
I get about 27 with my 1.8 non-turbo. I don't get any highway on it, just to and from work, which is 14 miles each way through back roads and onto city streets. I have the lights timed really well, so there really isn't much stop-and-go. I do keep it at about 60 on those back roads, and my average speed to and from work is about 35mph overall. Plenty of hills in my neck of the woods, but nothing to really call a mountain either.
Sunday, June 07, 2009 11:53 PM
I always wanted to know how many mpg a normal 5 speed manual 2.0 averaged.
I found a website that says 21 city and 29 hwy.

I thought there was something wrong with my car, because I also have
a 2000 ford contour v6 and they get almost the same mileage, but
now I see it's normal.

By the way, before I painted my car, I bought a new gastank, but there
is something weird, when I have 1/4 left, and I make a sharp turn ,
my gas indicator drops almost to E and for an instant it starves , then stabilizes, what could be wrong?
could the fuelpump be misalign ? (sorry about my ignorance :p )

My Cardomain page :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2536425

Friday, June 12, 2009 5:57 PM
Back in the late '80s, I had an '85 1.8 turbo sunbird hatch w/ 3 speed auto. In suburban driving I got a steady 23.5 week in and out. On pure interstate cruises, I got a nice 33 mpg.

I now have an '86 Z24 hatch. I have had it only a few months and have not really gone through it, but in the gentle 1st drive home, all on interstates doing 65 mph, I got a pretty crappy 19.5- and that was babying it.

Around the suburbs for short drives I only get like 14-16. Pretty @!#$ty, but it's a sunny day weekend driver, so I am not too worried. Back in the day I seem to recall 19 MPG around town w/ a 2.8 auto was an oft-mentioned number.
Friday, June 12, 2009 6:10 PM
Hey Paul, as a one time owner of an '85 Sunbird S/E 1.8TA3, show us a pic of that WS6 conversion! As much as I liked the louvered stock hood, a WS6 would be even cooler!
Friday, June 12, 2009 6:55 PM
John-

My car came with the WS6 suspension. I think all of the turbo cars did. It just happens to be the performance suspension RPO.

It is very stock looking

Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I read WS6 and thought of the Firebird WS6 option and it's hood scoops.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:56 PM
John-

Yep the RPO stuff is funny. I have a 94 Z28, and am pretty familiar with the WS6 package on the F-Cars. Depending on the MY, WS6 included, shocks, struts, spings, sway bars, exhaust, hoods, rims, and tires. 1LE made it even more interesting.

If I am recalling it properly, the Turbo J-Cars it was primarily rims (14x6 aluminum), springs, shocks, and sway bars. If you got the Turbo, you got the whole WS6 package.

Monday, June 15, 2009 4:30 AM
My 89 Sunbird GT ragtop is the "whole shebang" in terms of suspension, also. Plus louvered hood.

John Mac, I would expect better mileage from that car. I drove a 3.1 auto trans powered Cavalier RS back from Ohio, needing a tune up, cyl 1 plug loose in threads and occasionally misfiring, still achieved 26-28 mpg. I'd do some investigating.

When originally purchased, my 5 speed turbo bird got horrible mileage, especially in boost. It would use fuel faster than my 400 hp Chevelle. Through much tuning and a few mods, highway mileage has achieved a peak of 36 and slipping into boost doesn't demand enough fuel to trigger a price increase at the pump. Not sure around town though. Any attempt to outrun Mustang GTs light to light generally results in large amounts of tire spin which, of course, results in higher than actual MPG readings.

It's been noted in several places that CAFE numbers really drove improvements in mileage. In the last 15 years, although power numbers and combustion efficiency have increased greatly, the average "fleet" mileage of all cars on the road has decreased slightly. Average vehicle weight and size has increased due to consumer demand for more options and safety features and overall the market has become somewhat complacent as to the mpg achieved in the process. Of course this complacency went away when gas prices topped $4 / gallon last year.

-->Slow
Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:48 PM
Simply sunny gets around 25/ definitely 34 mpg hwy.The city varies based on my drag racing that tbi and four speed manual,I just can't resist hauling azz off the line.I just love the torque of this 86 hp has loads of torque and will do 70 with out trying.KICK AZZ

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search