Transmission acting weird - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Transmission acting weird
Monday, July 20, 2009 7:36 PM
I noticed the other day that when making left turns only in my car the trans will slip. Turning right it won't. Is the fluid having a problem getting where it needs to go? I have checked the level and it was a little low at one time, but is at full now. It's still doing the same thing. Any of you guys ever experienced this problem? I hope that it doesn't need rebuilding because the car will be sitting for a while.

Re: Transmission acting weird
Monday, July 20, 2009 8:40 PM
Paul, sorry to hear about your troubles. I haven't had issues with my Cav yet, but another old Chevy I had did the same thing and all the trans needed was a band adjustment. Could be something as simple as the TV linkage is out of adjustment, too. I'd have a trans shop check it out. These TH125 trannys are stout and it would take a lot of miles or a lot of abuse to blow them up in my opinion.

Good luck.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:51 PM
Daryl Scott wrote:Paul, sorry to hear about your troubles. I haven't had issues with my Cav yet, but another old Chevy I had did the same thing and all the trans needed was a band adjustment. Could be something as simple as the TV linkage is out of adjustment, too. I'd have a trans shop check it out. These TH125 trannys are stout and it would take a lot of miles or a lot of abuse to blow them up in my opinion.

Good luck.

Yeah, me too. I guess I'll have to get this thing in the shop as soon as I can or as soon as the cash presents itself. At least it looks decent just sitting there....the one side that is. I've heard that these trannys can take some abuse. I know I ran my first Cavalier pretty hard back in '90 and it never missed a lick.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:54 PM
The TH125 is pretty stout but it's one weak spot is the 2nd gear band. If it has never been rebuilt I would suggest a full rebuild. That trans is known for breaking the 2nd gear band and causing a delay to 3rd gear or only having 1st. Me and my dad rebuilt mine and added a shift kit and we also fixed torque converter lock up issue that is common with 1st and 2nd gen j-bodies.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:59 PM
Josh Maloney wrote:The TH125 is pretty stout but it's one weak spot is the 2nd gear band. If it has never been rebuilt I would suggest a full rebuild. That trans is known for breaking the 2nd gear band and causing a delay to 3rd gear or only having 1st. Me and my dad rebuilt mine and added a shift kit and we also fixed torque converter lock up issue that is common with 1st and 2nd gen j-bodies.

[ covers ears......la la la la....I can't hear you ] I don't want to think about a tranny rebuild. My '87 Z that had to be rebuilt back in '94 cost $500. I'd hate to see what it costs now.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:09 PM
Paul Siebert wrote:
Josh Maloney wrote:The TH125 is pretty stout but it's one weak spot is the 2nd gear band. If it has never been rebuilt I would suggest a full rebuild. That trans is known for breaking the 2nd gear band and causing a delay to 3rd gear or only having 1st. Me and my dad rebuilt mine and added a shift kit and we also fixed torque converter lock up issue that is common with 1st and 2nd gen j-bodies.

[ covers ears......la la la la....I can't hear you ] I don't want to think about a tranny rebuild. My '87 Z that had to be rebuilt back in '94 cost $500. I'd hate to see what it costs now.

If you know people it's not that bad.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:38 PM
Josh Maloney wrote:
Paul Siebert wrote:

If you know people it's not that bad.

I know of someone, but not on a personal level. He's awesome at what he does and is the best in town. With him it is cheeper........if you pay in cash. He's built alot of tranmissions for several of the big time racers here and he won't BS you either.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:10 PM
Is it possible that I'm also having this 2nd gear problem?

Somewhere between 35-45mph, my Hawk seems to up the rpms on me for no real reason; and today it was even "fluttering" the rpms in that speed range.

Until reading this, I thought maybe my throttle cable needed tightening or maybe a TPS connection wasn't quite right.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:08 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:Is it possible that I'm also having this 2nd gear problem?

Somewhere between 35-45mph, my Hawk seems to up the rpms on me for no real reason; and today it was even "fluttering" the rpms in that speed range.

Until reading this, I thought maybe my throttle cable needed tightening or maybe a TPS connection wasn't quite right.

I would try replacing the Torque Converter lock-up solenoid first. GM has an old service bulletin on the issue. The fix is an updated TCC Solenoid. Most people that have the affected vehicles notice it around low speeds between 35-45.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:02 AM
OK, the torque converter is the big round thingie on the side of the trans that hooks up to the motor, where would I find the lock-up solenoid?

Is this something someone with limited ability should be attempting in their driveway?
Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:50 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:OK, the torque converter is the big round thingie on the side of the trans that hooks up to the motor, where would I find the lock-up solenoid?

Is this something someone with limited ability should be attempting in their driveway?

The new part comes with directions( at least the one I got from Advance Auto Parts did). If you plan on doing it yourself I would suggest buying between 4-6 quarts of trans fluid and a filter kit along with the new part. It should be close to the valve body under the filter.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:36 PM
Josh Maloney wrote:
Wayne Schiff wrote:OK, the torque converter is the big round thingie on the side of the trans that hooks up to the motor, where would I find the lock-up solenoid?

The new part comes with directions( at least the one I got from Advance Auto Parts did). If you plan on doing it yourself I would suggest buying between 4-6 quarts of trans fluid and a filter kit along with the new part. It should be close to the valve body under the filter.

Found a pic for the discussion.......

Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:34 PM
Paul Siebert wrote:
Josh Maloney wrote:

Found a pic for the discussion.......

Thanks for the pic. I forgot the valve body was in the side cover not the trans pan.

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:06 AM
umm...yeah...I have a feeling I'll be paying somene for this job.

My abilities aren't that good, and since I have to use this car as my daily driver I really can't take too many chances on screwing up a weekend project.

So what are the long term effects of this issue, or should I just use this as another excuse to drive like hell and get up to 45mph/3rd gear as fast as posible?
Friday, July 31, 2009 3:01 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:umm...yeah...I have a feeling I'll be paying somene for this job.

My abilities aren't that good, and since I have to use this car as my daily driver I really can't take too many chances on screwing up a weekend project.

So what are the long term effects of this issue, or should I just use this as another excuse to drive like hell and get up to 45mph/3rd gear as fast as posible?

Basically it's more of an annoyance than anything.

Friday, July 31, 2009 3:52 PM
I had to unplug my TCC on my Fiero till I get the chance to swap it out. Next week I am going to trky to take my Z in to a shop and see what plays out on the issue.
Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:49 AM
Went by the trans shop Friday. I have delt with him before and he is a no BS kind of guy. When I told him what it was doing he just grinned and said "fluid and filter change". The fluid is having trouble getting where it needs to be, so hopefully that will cure the issue. He told me he hasn't worked on one of these transmissions in several years and didn't think any were still on the road. I was happy to disapoint him. Hopefully this will be the cure all. We'll see.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search