86 'Bird vert cooling fan circuit prob - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
86 'Bird vert cooling fan circuit prob
Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:40 PM
Hello, all. I joined this forum because I can't seem to find any info on this car anywhere. I'm trying to fix my daughter's 86 Sunbird SE convertible with the 1.8, normally aspirated. The cooling fan does not kick on. I jumped the fan motor, it works good. Next I went up to the fan switch, which I believe is the sensor on the thermostat housing with one green/white wire. My Haynes manual said that grounding that wire should switch the fan on, but it does not. I don't have a wiring diagram, so I don't know where to go next. Does anyone out there have any ideas? Thank you in advance...............Frank

There is no such thing as an,'ex-Marine.'

Re: 86 'Bird vert cooling fan circuit prob
Friday, June 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Frank-

My 1.8 Turbo has a cooling fan relay that sits on the driver side fender as the next item in line. I would go there next.

Friday, June 19, 2009 8:18 AM
Hmmm, the only relays I'm finding is a row of 3 back in the corner of the engine compartment on the passenger side. Thanks for the suggestion.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 11:18 AM
Well, it turned out the cooling fan relay was gunny-bag, I didn't recognize it as a relay because it's a different size and shape than most relays I've seen. It resides on the firewall, driver side, close to the brake booster. Fan worky nice now! Thanks for helping.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:25 PM
New to the forum but thought I would post some info on my cooling fan problem on my 1995 Cavalier Convertible. I had a similar problem on the car when I bought it but the former owner hot wired a switch to the fan to make it work, so I didn't worry about it to much. Started to work on the fan with the help of a local mechanic and found that the fan shroud was broken causing the fan to drag and blowing the fisable link. Just ordered a new assemby and will replace the whole thing so I don't have to remember to turn on a switch when driving.
Friday, July 24, 2009 5:27 PM
I seem to not be able to type, I have a 1985 Cavalier convertible.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search