Neutral Safety Switch - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Neutral Safety Switch
Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:13 PM
After many years of looking and trial and error, I finally found a neutral safety switch in the yard. $3...

Long story short, back in 92, I had a choice of getting a new switch or a $20 workaround. I took the workaround as money was tight and have regretted it ever since. My car is "car guy" safe, but not for everyone. You can turn the key and if it is gear, it will lurch forward... I have wanted to fix this and finally can. I was never will to pay the $$$ for the replacement part. I get to spend some quality time inverted installing it...

Wanted to share my good news...

Re: Neutral Safety Switch
Saturday, July 25, 2009 7:45 PM
As life would have it, It is not the right part. It may work, but my harness has two more wires that the 85 5-speed setup (the donor car) did.

I was able to locate what I think is the correct stock replacement. Can anyone confirm the part number for the 4 speed manual Neutral Safety Switch?

Alan?

Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:35 PM
Um... I should probably be interested in that 85 5-speed part. I wasn't aware that these cars even had a neutral safety switch... I know if mine does, it doesn't work...
Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:59 AM
Closer - I will let you know how this plays out. I will send the switch your way if I do not end up using it.

You definately know when it is not working. You leave your car in gear and then turn the ignition without the clutch pressed down and the car lurches forward into whatever is in front of it (just an example...)

Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:46 AM
Paul94Z28 wrote:Closer - I will let you know how this plays out. I will send the switch your way if I do not end up using it.

You definately know when it is not working. You leave your car in gear and then turn the ignition without the clutch pressed down and the car lurches forward into whatever is in front of it (just an example...)

Yep, and it's even more embarrassing when you do that with the rear up on jack stands reaching through the window thinking you had it in neutral... not that I would know or anything, just saying...
Sunday, July 26, 2009 1:44 PM
Right... And I know "this guy" that turned the key on his then recently resurrected sunbird and launched into the interior garage wall before he got it repainted. He was showing his fraternity brothers that it really worked as they had all seen it die the first time...

Yep, these type of people are all around us

Good Times!

The switches are there to protect us from ourselves

Monday, July 27, 2009 7:48 AM
and this one time, at band camp, this guy that only really knows enough about mechanics to get by, he had a '76 Trans Am that would lurch forward, but (some) other manual trans cars he drove didn't...

so many years later he learns of soemthing called a neutral safety switch from a message board so rich with information about his beloved Buick Skyhawk
Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:07 AM
Paul after doing some searching this is what I turned up.Advance auto,auto zone and napa do not carry this for manual cavs.But After lots of searching I did find a site that apparently carries the part( uh no pics ) and it is specific about yr I used my 85 and it says it's for manuals.Here is the site http://www.gmparts4u.com you will need to click the info for entering ur yr,model,make and then it will throw up another page where u need to click on electrical and it should show neutral safety click that and it shows a description and the price was 54.87.I hope this helps.I may do some more home work on this and take a look at mine on the clutch I have adjusted mine so I know the part.If I find more I will throw it on here.R

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:27 AM
Thanks Ron.

For whatever reason, they appear to be transmission specific. Mine actually maps to a Chevy Citation 4 speed. Unfortunately, to do it right, I also need the wire pigtails that plug into it.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:56 AM
Ok here is some more info.After checking the net,and a phone call here is just that.Oreillys auto parts does list a clutch safety switch for a 84 pontiac with the 1.8 and is made by bwd automotive.It states its for the manual trans and the part #S26029 you have to call them so they can call corporate to get a price(it's not listed) and availability.I was told on parts like this it takes 3-4 days to get,I'll bet u have to pay first as with any special order part.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:01 PM
Ron-

I actually found one at Parts Galore today with the pigtail I needed. Embarassingly enough, it was off of an 87 Pontiac LeMans (Isn't that thing really a Daewoo?)

I will see if it works...

Closer, I need your address again. I will send my spare your way.

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:15 AM
Yeah, that was a Daewoo; but it did use an Opel chassis, so it was a global disaster...
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:25 PM
Well stated!!!

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 5:27 PM
Paul, have you been back to see the blue car in the J/Y?
Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:28 PM
James-

gonna try to get back there tomorrow or Friday. Gm has kept me jumpin this week. We are working on emissions and cafe changes.

I will let you know...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search