BAD power steering leak - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BAD power steering leak
Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:52 PM
The other day my power steering started leaking right where the lines go into the rack-and-pin. Anyway, thought I would wait for the weekend to check it out but it got so bad, quickly, the it drained the pump overnight and dumped it all on the ground.

It's not leaking around where the lines enter the rack, it looks like a cap of some sort directly underneath, tha points down. It's got a big nut on and a seal around it.

Think that is what it might be or do you all think it's just poring out of the boot? I really don't want to change the whole unit...

Re: BAD power steering leak
Sunday, August 09, 2009 9:56 AM
Well I know what location you are decscribing on the leak.That is right at where the steering shaft hooks up and yeah it looks like a big nut with a rubber seal.Mines got a very small drip but,no fluid loss to add.To the answer I would use some brake clean and remove the mess and buy 1 bottle of lucas power steering stop leak.Granted this worked kick azz on my tractor trlr had a leak right at the pitman arm and with in say 45 min drive it sealed the leak.The other side is two months later the seal blew out(norm wear).I would do the lucas cost about 8bux or more and see if that buys time or a new rack/pinion is in order.My suggestion.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search