Skyhawk dash cubbie hole compartment... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Skyhawk dash cubbie hole compartment...
Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:44 PM
Anyone know of a cubbie hole compartment available for a skyhawk? I have the 3 tape slide out holder, and it's just sitting there wasting space... It would make a nice place for a phone, etc... I really wish there was a center armrest/console, but I'll live...

How about a driver's side set of window switches for just two windows?

I saw a wagon the other day on one of the local back roads. I've been tempted to go back and see if it's available. The way it was parked I couldn't see the nose for a bush, but I think it was either a Skyhawk or Sunbird. I keep thinking it might be worth swapping a few parts, and passing on to someone else... It looked to be in decent shape, don't know if it ran though... just rambling here...

Re: Skyhawk dash cubbie hole compartment...
Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:58 PM
Hey closer-

I saw a blue 87 hawk at Parts Galore today. Take a pic of that cubbie so we can see it. Anything you would want off the 87? Not so familiar with the interchange on that.

Paul

Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:14 PM

Here is a pic I found online. I think the cubbie hole just swaps out. This pic shows a foglight switch and rear defrost switch, but I only have foglights...

Was the '87 a 2 door? There are a few pieces I could use... Black interior?
Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:59 PM
Wow, that interior is very close to my stock colors...

Let me know what your list is. I know it did not have fog lights... The interior is either black or blue.

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:58 AM
I have some power window switches in a Cavalier I'm parting out. It's an 89 and the center console has an armrest on top of it.

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:23 AM
It doesn't match up like you think it does.

I have the tape slider and found the cubby hole in a junkyard as I preferred that as well. When you take the dash apart, the tape slider just "pops" out and leaves a large hole. I thought I would be able to simply "pop" in the cubbyhole. Not so, you need to replace the whole part down there and the fog light switches and lighter come with it.

I have neither fog or rear defrost, so I just had a blank panel there.

I haven't had the time to make the swap to give you exact details on whuzzup, but I plan to do that the week of Aug 10th, and I'm hoping I don't have to have fog light/rear defrost switches there that don't do anything, but that my be the case.
Saturday, August 01, 2009 5:36 PM
Well, Poop! Let me know how it goes, Wayne, and if possible can you post or send some pix of what you have, and what you are wanting to replace it with?

Josh, I might be interested in the pods/switches if they're the same as the first gen. I know the first few years of second gen were very similar if not the same. Also, not sure about the console. Probably more work than it's worth, but again, could you send or post pix?

And Paul. Aside from the cubbie hole, which I might still be interested in (my foglights are missing, and I plan on replacing them with aftermarket. I could always hide the switch or just tap into the parking lights, unless maybe that blue car had rear defrost, then I could just mount my foglight switch in its place) I'm looking for the driver's side door sill plate that says "Body by Fisher" or at least has the coach emblem. I could use a driver's door outer window felt, mine's half missing. If it's a 5 speed I could use the trim plate around the shifter with the shift pattern in it, mine has a few cigarette burns, maybe the shifter and boot as a spare... The bolt cover for the passenger side seat belt shoulder strap, where it bolts to the pillar... and the passenger side sun visor, if there's no light/mirror. Mine has the light/mirror, and won't stay up, so I took it out. My interior is all black, not gray like the pic above...

That's all I can think of for the moment, unless that blue car is turbo...
Sunday, August 02, 2009 8:49 AM
Will do. My main email addy is itsmach5@yahoo.com, so send me an email and I'll reply with the pics.

Also, the hole you want in there won't be as functional as you may think. Back in the day, garage door openers were little squares or rectangles, and I think the intent of the design was for the opener to be stored there.

But there is no lip on the outer part of the hole, so when you flex the whole might of your 85 horses, anything in that hole will slide out. So unless your phone or ipod is the right size (I haven't bothered to match up my wife's ipod to the hole yet), your planned use for the hole won't be what you want.

Back when I had my original Hawk, the best use for that hole that I found was wedging my Marlboros and Zippo in there. Now I'd have no use for that since I gave up that vice.
Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:35 AM
Well, I think even the tiny compartment would be better than a useless tape holder...

BTW, I just sent you an email...

thanks...
Sunday, August 02, 2009 2:44 PM
I agree, that's why I got the compartment myself, it's just that now I don't yet know what I'll use it for once I get it in.

I just love how mine came with a tape still in there from the previous owner--Julio Iglesasis...

they could've at least left me something cool
Sunday, August 02, 2009 3:44 PM
wow, good tunes...

So, did your tape deck actually work? I dug around and finally found an old cassette, but it just flipped back and forth from side a to b... I remember the tape deck in Mom's old Cavalier ('85 2.0 5-spd Type 10. I learned to drive on that car. Kind of the reason I was excited to get my Buick) did the same thing, but seems like she got it fixed... Oh well, the radio sounded really good, and I thought about trying to add a line for an MP3 player, but finally installed a CD player with bulged out, out of place adapter...

Monday, August 03, 2009 6:51 AM
Yeah, there was a Kenwood deck in there when I got it, you can see it in the pics I sent. It worked, but I don't have any tapes left anymore. When I tried to use one of those cassette adapters to hear my portable CD player through the speakers, it just made an awful noise (but the Julio sounded fine). I now have a JVC CD player in there with all kinds of goodies available, but I won't be using those. When I finally get my own ipod, I will be using the line in port for that.

I will also be playing with the radio next week. I figured out that if I make the wires behind the radio really, really, really (did I mention really), long, when I install the radio, I can pull those wires straight down and they will be behind the cubbyhole I will be installing, and the radio should fit in the dash better. While I have the dashboard apart, I plan to add the connector to the back of the radio and any wires I need to hook up a speakerbox in the trunk (I think a pair of 12s should fit nicely). I don't have the $ for the box, but I figure if I prepare everything, when I get the box it will be just plug and play.
Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:49 PM
Ok James,

I went there again as I am a glutton for punishment. Its 90 here and I lost about 5lbs walking back to the hawk. It is an 87 2-door, auto, metallic grey exterior, light grey interior.

It has the cubbie with rear defrost button attached to it. The passenger visor has no mirror, but again, it is light grey and in ok shape. No power window pods or fog lights. The sill plate (with the coach) is there but grey. I missed a detailed look at the outer door felt, but it did not strike me as being in bad shape. This car only has 73K on it.

BTW - I got my sunbird tape deck fixed (80s vintage) and run an MP3 line to it . That way I have my old stuff and new stuff

Let me know what you want.

Sunday, August 09, 2009 6:44 PM
Well, since everything is gray inside... I would be interested in the cubby hole with switch plate, and possibly the window felt. Thanks for looking!

Just out of curiosity what was wrong with the 'Hawk that put it in the J/Y?

So, please tell me more about this MP3 hookup.... Did you use the guy on ebay?
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:25 PM
I will go get that cubbie - I just tore my MOPAR down and need some wiring pigtails...

Right now I have the MP3 going through the cassette, next step is the guy on eBay...

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:20 PM
Paul, thanks, but it sounds like Wayne has already found me a cubby. So, unless you're already going don't need to go back just for me. I think all I would need is the window felt...
Friday, August 14, 2009 5:22 PM
Going back tomorrow - last chance...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search