Sweet! I got my new center armrest... but a few questions... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sweet! I got my new center armrest... but a few questions...
Monday, August 31, 2009 5:07 PM
Well, I bought the one off ebay, and it came today. It's in really good shape. So, I sat it in the car, and it fits nicely, and is the perfect height for my arm. The only problem is there's nothing for the mounting brackets to line up with. I hate to do this, but I think I can just drill a couple holes in the side of my console and screw it on... The screws would be down below the seat level and not seen. Thoughts???

I need to clean it up a bit, and I'm going to use vinyl dye to dye the gray vinyl black, so it will somewhat match the seats. Black on the sides, gray in the middle. Then if/when I ever get my seats recovered (which I want to do), I'll have the armrest covered in the same gray as the seat inserts... thoughts???

Just for the record... I love this new armrest...

Re: Sweet! I got my new center armrest... but a few questions...
Monday, August 31, 2009 6:20 PM
Guess I can't put off posting this one any longer...it's OK, my attempts at television fortune aren't going anywhere right now anyway

ohh...this is lovely, it describes console removal as follows:

1. Block wheels and apply parking brake. Place shifter in neutral. Remove front ashtray, then remove 2 screws under ashtray.
2. Remove shifter knob. Knob is retained by screw.
3. Lift console trim cover off by pulling front end up first. Disconnect wiring harness (fig. 29). (somehow, I think you'll figure out what the wiring harness is)
4. Remove 3 screws attaching front of console to mounting brackets.
5. Remove rear ashtray assembly and remove screw attaching rear of console to rear support On cars equipped with a center arm rest it will be necessary to remove the arm rest assembly as shown in Fig 27 prior to console removal
6. Lift console up and off

Why did I type this? Not because I can do 70wpm, but because of that lovely Fig 27 part...

yeah, there's no instruction for the console itself, just a pretty little drawing.

Lucky thing it is near the back of the book, and I may be able to get it on a scanner and turn this into a picture for you to see on your computer. The ashtray comes out so you can get to these brackets. It looks as if your idea is nearly correct.
Monday, August 31, 2009 6:52 PM
Hmm... Interesting. I'm kinda wondering though if the 88 has a different console and armrest than 87 and prior. There really doesn't seem to be any way to mount this thing "correctly". I'll try to get some pix. Which, BTW, can you take a digital pic of Fig 27 if it won't scan?

On a side note... from the passenger's side rear seat, with passenger's front seat pushed all the way forward, you can clearly see down beside the driver's seat. Unfortunately I already bought a new pocket knife (same one) to replace the one I found tonight...

thanks!
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:45 PM
Yeah, that digital pic was my plan if the scan wouldn't do.

The scan worked, I sent it to you.

The armrest is the same through the years, like I said, its really screwy how they mount it.

Now that I'm thinking about it, if I remember right, you already have an ashtray there, and there's an ashtray in the armrest...maybe they had different consoles for when the car came with the armrest? I've seen stranger things (like the pop-out cassette holder we have that can't simply pop in a cubby hole).
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:21 PM
Good Deal - lmk if you come across another one.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search