Wheels on my 84 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Wheels on my 84
Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:40 PM
I was trolling Craigs List for car parts when I came across a set of like new fiero rims for a sweet price. These match my rims and would freshen the rims significantly, Mine are original Michigan equipment, I sanded the clear off and bought new centercaps to get by after getting fresh paint.

I am trying to decide if I should buy these or go larger so I can do the 92+ brake upgrade at some point. The rims I would really like resemble the Buick GNX rims.

Any Thoughts?

Re: Wheels on my 84
Saturday, August 29, 2009 6:51 PM
GET EM! Those would probably look sweet on my Buick. I keep thinking my T-Type needs to be black with the Z24 spoiler and black mesh wheels with a polished lip...

Be sure to post pix if you put them on...
Saturday, August 29, 2009 9:53 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:
The rims I would really like resemble the Buick GNX rims.

Paul, are you talking about the Fiero GT lace wheels?
Sunday, August 30, 2009 2:33 PM
Sounds like I sufficiently confused everyone. It made perfect sense to me at the time...

I have a line on like new 14" turbine wheels off a fiero that match my current sunbird rims for a great price. I am hesitating because I was considering doing the 92+ breake upgrade that requires larger rims. Even still, these rims are mint and I am thinking I should schnag them for the low price...

*****end first thought******

I have always wanted the lace/mesh looking wheels like the GNX rims and would probably consider that style if I were to upgrade. Will the later Fiero mesh ones fit our cars? Do they have the 5x100 bolt pattern?

What do you guys think I should do?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:25 PM
Yes, the Fiero is 5x100. The lace wheels are 15x7" ('86&'87GT) the '88 Formula and GT had staggard wheels. I'll post pics of what I'm talking about.
This is a Formula with a fastback conversion and a regular Formula that has the staggard lace wheels....

The front wheels on the staggard set are flush with the lip.

This is a fastback GT with the standard lace wheels. All four wheels have a lip.

I hope these pics turn out large enough for you to see a difference. Hope this helps
Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:31 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:
What do you guys think I should do?

Since you want to run larger brakes I'd go for the lace (Fiero) wheels. You shouldn't have any problem running Grand Am brakes with the Fiero wheels if that's what your intending to do. If you'd like I'll check to make sure that they will fit the Fiero's GT wheels. Let me know.

Paul
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:30 AM
Some grand am's have those lace wheels too

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 1:51 PM
Paul, Your car looks good as is if it is the same car from your photos. I had put my son's Fiero wheels on my 87 black & blue GT when he went with mags and I thought it looked great. When I got the Fiero, I put the stock wheels back on and started looking for a set for my Sunbird. I found a set of Berretta GT wheels for 40 bucks. A little paint, some chrome lugs and smooth centers from my stock wheels and they came out great. I get more compliments on the wheels than the rest of the car. Good luck in your search for a new look for your J-Body.
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:08 PM
Thanks Kevin-

Always trying to improve things... I always seem to learn as I go.

Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:44 AM
Me being clueless about these things--do those 15" Fiero or Beretta wheels go on with no mods? Are tires with thinner sidewalls necessary to make up for the extra 2" in diameter?

How wide can the wheels go with everything else being stock?
Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:43 PM
The Fiero and the Beretta GT wheels all worked fine. The tires were all P205/60R15's except for the Fiero rears which were 215's. My brakes are all stock though.

Friday, September 04, 2009 1:22 PM
Well this may just make me rethink some of my future plans!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search