Got my armrest installed - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Got my armrest installed
Monday, September 07, 2009 7:33 PM
Got the vinyl dyed black, made a couple mounting brackets... and voila... no pix. I know... sorry.

I only made two side brackets, but it seems to be mounted pretty solid. The back bracket would require a little more thought and a few more brakes than a large vise and 3lb mallet could provide. Looking back now I have a better idea, and will probably make a new set of brackets, by drilling a new hole on either side, and making my brackets a little taller...

I can't wait to drive it with the armrest... I've got equipment though in the Malibu that needs to go back to work, so it will have to wait till Wednesday...

I took a few quick pix with my phone, but they turned out real dark. I'll try to get some better ones with the camera...

Re: Got my armrest installed
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:43 PM
Well, this was my first drive with the armrest... and I like! No more searching for a place to put my arm till it's tired...

So, now on to a few other items... like the gas leak that I thought I had fixed, and the thumping coming from the front end... then maybe I can get around to installing my power windows and steering wheel... and foglights...
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:22 PM
Excellent! Now come fix mine
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:33 PM
Bring it over. I'd be glad to help...
Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:15 PM
Progress is progress. One step at a time.

Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:15 PM
hmm...13 hour drive to get there...uh, I'll have nowhere to rest my arm the whole time

you could fly here and I'll drive you back

yeah, I can get ridiculous...
Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:00 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:hmm...13 hour drive to get there...uh, I'll have nowhere to rest my arm the whole time

you could fly here and I'll drive you back

yeah, I can get ridiculous...

If you buy the ticket, I just might take you up on that...

BTW, took some pix today finally... I found that I need to redrill my brackets. When I set everything up I didn't have the little trim piece on. So, now the arm rest sits about 3/8" too low, and the trim piece won't snap back on. Oh, well. Should be an easy fix. Might give me a chance to drill my other two mounting holes. Although, it feels pretty sturdy now...

Please don't laugh at my seat covers... They came with the car. The seats are pretty worn. The driver's seat is so worn and broken down that he swapped the two seats, and started wearing out the passenger's seat. I really want to get them recovered, but might have to replace the actual driver's seat. Not sure what's wrong, but it leans pretty bad to the left...

Not that my car is that bad, but boy pix make it look good...

I took a pic of each bracket I made, but they're on my phone. Wifey had the good camera that day, and my new phone is kind of a hassle to get pix off...

Oh, and yes, those are pine cones. They were the only cinnamon scented thing I could find. No one sells cinnamon air fresheners...

and the square depression on the side of the arm rest base is just from the passenger's seat belt. It got pushed back, and pressed there...
Monday, September 14, 2009 3:55 AM
Good thing you mentioned those pine cones, I was gonna ask if that was an air freshener since here on the east coast we can only get those fake cardboard trees...
Monday, September 14, 2009 3:55 AM
Great to finally see some pics though.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:32 PM
Looks Great - makes me want an arm rest, but then where would I put my pops from the drive thru?

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:49 AM
There's still room under the armrest to place them SODAS next to the e-brake handle, or you can flip the armrest up for more room.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:13 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:There's still room under the armrest to place them SODAS next to the e-brake handle, or you can flip the armrest up for more room.

Yup, or do like I do. Get one of those cheap/cheesy window channel mounting cup holders, and clip it into the ash tray... Most smaller cups will wedge next to the e-brake, but not all...

Funny story... I had a '94 Maxima before the Buick that didn't appear to have any cup holders. I remember my brother in law riding with me one day and complaining about it. well, many months later I was messing with the CD player, and bumped the dash and guess what popped out. Yup, two cup holders... So, where do I bump the Buick dash???
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:37 PM
You would be amazed, but the Hawk does have "official" cup holders...

so should I make you go looking, or should I tell ya?????

OK, open your glovebox, notice how it goes completely parallel to the ground? See the design on the inside--made for two cups. They don't really stay when driving, but they're there.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:08 PM
right, gonna put those pops on the glove box door while driving.

I guess in the 80s you were supposed to stop and drink.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:10 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:right, gonna put those pops on the glove box door while driving.

I guess in the 80s you were supposed to stop and drink.

I saw those, and really had to wonder about them. I guess that's for going to Sonic...
Thursday, September 17, 2009 7:03 AM
I remember with the original Hawk, I had different MIcky D's size soda cups and one size (not sure which one) actually fit there well since the edge of the lid could be wedged under the lip of the dash.

Of course this is extra annoying if you're driving at night since the glovebox light stays on the entire time.

"so should I make you go looking, or should I tell ya?????"----ok, how many had to look because they never noticed, or is the Hawk/Firenza the only cars with all the luxury goodies?
Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:09 AM
My cavalier had this so all first gen probably did.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:09 AM
And by "this" I meant the cupholders

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search