Your J-body wish list - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Your J-body wish list
Monday, August 31, 2009 8:18 PM
Well, I was just thinking today.. Now that the Cavalier convertible is out of the question, and the Pauls think I should go ahead and mod away... what all would I do? So, here is my wish list...

Lower it 1.5"
bigger aftermarket wheels, at least 15", maybe 17" if I found the right wheel
tint the windows
recover the seats (and my new, needs-to-be installed armrest)
remove the luggage rack on the trunk lid
Z24 style trunk spoiler
repaint dark metallic gray
rebuild all the suspension
new carpet
new custom fit floor mats
fix the few little interior issues
dash cubby hole
TURBO!

and for the things I already have, but need to install:
armrest
power windows
power trunk release
fog lights
aftermarket steering wheel
new ignition lock cylinder
new turn signal lever

So, what's on your wish list?

Re: Your J-body wish list
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 9:29 AM
I"ll put my list up when I get home.
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 12:52 PM
I lowered my original Hawk, looked pretty cool, but I kept the original size wheels and had AR 5 Stars on it (remember, this was the early 90s).

My thoughts back then were white on bottom, blending to medium metallic blue on top...but with the blend on an angle from the rear to the hood, with the hood, roof and trunk being blue. I also planned on a bad-ass body kit (they were available then), custom sidepipes integrated into the bad-ass body kit, and a Roadrunner style spoiler on the back (just to look dumb).
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:38 PM
Paul Siebert wrote:I"ll put my list up when I get home.

Ok, here we go.........

Full poly bushings
KYB suspension
Intrax 1.7" springs
Cross drilled rotors
Use the 3100 motor I have sitting on a stand and do a swap with some minor performance upgrades.
Lite weight 17" Five spoke wheels
Get the bodywork done
Custome front bumper with round foglights mounted in line with the park/turn signals.
GTS blackouts front/rear ( love those still)
New top (black)
Car repainted white, but with a two tone.....black on top.
Late model door handles for a 'flush' look.
Re-apholster interior either dark grey with red inserts or with black inserts. Wrap the roll bar to match the interior.
Late model factory CD deck with upgraded speakers.
Tint the windows
New window dew wipes/seals.
Paint and polish everything under the hood.
Put my cowl induction hood on, but with heat extractors molded in.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 5:19 PM
Good Thread....

Closer - you should go to a nice 2.5" cat back if you have not already.
I was fortunate enough to find a whole 86 Sunbird interior on eBay 30 minutes away for $130 - GOD was lovin me that day.
I have a clean 84 trunk lid, but shipping would be a bear

Paul's to do list for the 84:
Refinish / replace the turbine rims
Repaint front and rear bumper covers
New Black top with liner and glass window
Keyless trunk pop (pop in place, now just need to hook to alarm)
Continue powder cote everything I can
Rear Sway bar bushings
Eiback springs
Replace Antenna
Replace Neutral Safety Switch
MP3 input - no longer have Treo phone so need new solution with my Samsung...
Washer bottle reroute from firewall to shock tower

BIGGER TURBO
Dyno Tune

The list for the Camaro is longer, but I am enjoying the Sunbird right now as the Camaro is waiting for headers. As long as one project is running, we are good.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:28 PM
C'mon, I SATCHMOE YOU. What's your wish list?

There has to be more here with a nice list of things to do even if it's just restoring one to stock.
Thursday, September 03, 2009 6:54 AM
Couldn't you just remove the rack, fill in the screws, sand and paint?

Wouldn't that be easier than getting a new trunk lid that likely won't be the same color as the rest of the car?
Thursday, September 03, 2009 10:55 PM
I'm thinking about removing the wheel well flares and painting my '87 Sunbird GT all black. I guess that would be like cloning a GTO into a LeMans. I just never was a fan of the flares. I really need to sell the car, but I keep thinking of stuff I'd like to do to it. I have an extra Turbo and Tube and I was thinking about going with some kind of ceramic coating or even Jet-Hot coating. First I have to replace the starter. Yuk - anyone ever replaced a starter on a 2.0 Turbo? I also have a new steering rack and that doesn't look like a fun job either. So, I guess my wish list has to include "self installing" parts.
Friday, September 04, 2009 6:55 PM
Kevin-

I forgot to mention to fab and ceramic cote custom charge pipes... I was never a big fan of the flares either.

I have not had to do the rack or starter on my own, yet. My 2nd PS rack is about 19 years old...

Friday, September 04, 2009 8:12 PM
If you want those rack instructions from the shop manual, I can type them here for you. But you should get an alignment after your done because of all you have to take apart.

I had mine done for me last year after I bought the car 'cause I ain't that good...about $400 parts & labor
Wednesday, September 09, 2009 4:51 PM
Wayne Schiff wrote:Couldn't you just remove the rack, fill in the screws, sand and paint?

Wouldn't that be easier than getting a new trunk lid that likely won't be the same color as the rest of the car?

Yup, that's what I plan on doing, and adding a small lip spoiler at the same time. May do like I did with my old Stang. Pull the rack, plug the holes till I can get it painted, and add the new spoiler... But assuming I didn't paint the whole car, should I paint the spoiler to match, or leave it black (gloss or satin)?

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 7:22 PM
Your car is silver with the t-type blacked out trim...go for the black spoiler to finish it off. A spoiler that small will get lost in the rest of the car if it were the same color. Go with a black that best compliments your trim (so I would think something like a flat black instead of glossy).

And if you do buy rims, don't go black there, just go chrome since the tires themselves and the trim around your wheel wells are black, black rims will just be too much black in one space against the silver car.

I'm planning on black for my entire car with black trim, and I'm still not so sure I'd want black rims.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search