What other projects are taking time from you J-body... - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What other projects are taking time from you J-body...
Sunday, September 20, 2009 12:40 PM
Yeah, I know I'm looking for conversation. I'm taking a break from working ON not IN the garage... and this got me wondering what everyone else is doing instead of working on their J. I understand time/money are BIG factors, but those aside...

For me:

I'm putting up Tyvek in the basement/garage walls and ceiling, so I can finish blowing in cellulose. It's a walk out basement with the exposed walls already insulated, but I need to get the ceiling for sound (the kitchen and living room are above the garage) and the concrete walls for thermal. My biggest concern though is getting the garage sealed up, so I can open the Belvedere engine without filling it full of insulation.

So, once the garage is done I'll move on to trying to find the source of the smoking Belvedere. If a rebuild is in order that will be next inline. Then possibly finishing the other room in the basement and blowing the insulation.

Then it's kind gray...
I think I'm going to sell my '71 El Camino. I still need to finish the interior, top, glass and weatherstripping on the Belvedere, then all the little goodies on the Buick (aside from the wish list items) then the next big project on the horizon (which I must say I'm REALLY itching to start) is dropping a 302HO and T5 in my '94 325i convertible... I already have the donor car ('89 Mark VII LSC), just need to find a T5.

If I ever get all these things done... I guess I'll be bored... and have to start doing some landscaping here at the house...

So, what about the rest of yuns...

Re: What other projects are taking time from you J-body...
Monday, September 21, 2009 8:43 AM
time/$ are always factors

I've been cleaning all the crap out of my basement (my wife is a pack-rat), reorganizing everything to have one of my childhood dreams come true. I finally got it done this weekend.

I have the video-game section of my man-cave ready to go:

Pong
Atari 2600
Intellivision
Odyssey 2
Atari 5200
Commodore 64
NES
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
SNES
PS1
Sega Jupiter

All hooked up to a crappy TV with a single co-ax input! I also have a crappier TV above that to watch sports and game shows while playing video games. Now I have to find a pool table (not full size) on casters (to roll out of the way when not in use; then get the conversion top for ping-pong.

That was my free-time project for the summer, there really wasn't much free time.

I also spend a lot of time trying to get my production company started, I'm creating game shows for television. I have a new game to test in the next few weeks I hope (I've been trying to figure out how to make buzzers for trivia games, the kind that lock out other contestants once someone rings in). Also trying to figure out how to get an agent so I can get pitch meetings with networks/syndicators to sell these shows.

Beyond that, I'm always auditioning to get on game shows--trying for Millionaire again this Friday.
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:29 PM
I haven't driven the Cavalier since the ignition module went out last month and I had to have it towed home. Its running again after a few bucks and a tune-up...but I probably won't drag it out again this year. Kinda sad, but I've got a few more projects on the front burner.

First our house is still under construction. Last year we ripped it all apart and re-wired, insulated, and sheetrocked the place. Its coming along nicely and all I've got left to do is minor trim work & paint. But I hate that, so its taking a while!

We also got my wife's grandfather's old 76 C20 3/4 farm truck. I've been slowly bringing her back up to drivable condition and have taken a few jaunts with it. I also have been collecting parts to make it pretty and functional.

And to complicate our lives even more, we adopted a Treeing Walker Coonhound puppy a week or two ago and she's been keeping us busy ever since! Her name is Mabel and she is a great dog. I may lose a few pounds since I'm always walking, running, playing with her.

No more free time for the Cavalier until some other things settle down. I miss wrenching on it & driving it.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:43 PM

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:46 PM
Work, supporting GM takes everything out of you.

Have 4 great kids, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts, school stuff. Minor house projects.

Heater Hose and Long Tube Header install on the Z28 - almost done, may make season's last Test and Tune at Milan Dragway...

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:11 PM
Money for sure.I have spent the last couple wks cleaning the vinyl on the house(do twice yrly) then repainted my foundation,and repainted my whole garage walls/ ceiling do to the kerosene heaters making the studs and sheet rocks screws show the film kerosene leaves and heats just gets so hot it has caused shows only after two yrs from my house and garage add on.So yeah I need to do my front axles yet to be done,but with the car idle and covered and not a daily it is not a first priority.I am planning on fooling around with next wk prob,just finished up with some stuff maintaining my home,and when I did the house add on we added 900 sq ft,and 700 of was the garage.It added more kitchen and a real laundry room,walk in closet for the bedroom, another full bath,double sink and closet and walk in shower.Pretty much my house had all the orig alum siding removed and replaced with vinyl , insulation blown into the old walls,have over a foot of new insul in the attic and all new wiring,fuse panels with a the 250amp circuit breakers,in house and garage,all the plumbing is pvc pretty much the house was up to the 2007 housing codes.It cost plenty but its ALL DONE.Basically a new old house which my house was built in 1939 and moved to where it sits now many yrs ago.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:54 AM
Ron Love wrote:When I did the house add on we added 900 sq ft,and 700 of was the garage.

That's my kinda home improvement project right there!

Thursday, September 24, 2009 5:47 PM
Cash is the only thing and not to mention that I might not have a job at the first of the year. I have all kinds of ideas and found all of the parts that I need, but no cash to pay the bill.
Sunday, September 27, 2009 12:16 PM
Hardware done, now have to flash the PCM and drive to the muffler shop for the Z28. Then that is done for the season, except new injectors and o2 sensors...

I may be changing the sunbird plans a little to make her move a little faster, stay tuned.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:23 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm also working on an '87 Fiero GT. Doing a 3.8SC w/4T65HD. Got another grand or so to spend to get what I need. Nothing is getting put back for either car till I see the job improve.
Friday, October 02, 2009 5:37 PM
I am trying to finish my 1987 Pontiac Trans Am.

Saturday, October 03, 2009 7:39 PM
Got the Camaro flashed, started, bled the cooling system.

Sounds like nascar in my garage with open long tubes. I will be getting the Y pipe bolted up someday if it stops raining...

Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:02 PM
Camaro done for the present, Y-Pipe bolted up. Now saving for new O2s and larger Fuel Injectors. Both easy jobs when the parts arrive. Have new rag joint to put on, nothing urgent there.

Lets see what we can do to the Sunbird now...

Monday, December 14, 2009 7:05 PM
Camaro injectors done, will wait a while on the o2s. Rag joint still needs help. Wanting to buy 12 bolt now - car is waaaay more fun to drive

Need antenna solution for sunbird and aux in for mp3. Maybe over the winter. Also need a hood liner and to find that pesky BIG oil leak.

Friday, December 25, 2009 3:14 PM
Not that I can get even close to these due to the snow...
But I've been working on this a bit.. www.grandamman.com

Friday, December 25, 2009 5:34 PM
Snow...

We're spending an extra day with the in-laws because of the snow/ice. Not that I have any issues with my in-laws, there's just not much for me to do here, especially with the weather..

So, I've updated all the software on the laptop, and installed a few new things, researched a pistol I'm planning on buying from a friend, checked out Windows 7 (thinking about upgrading the laptop and PC), checked my email 2,367 times, watched a lot of history channel and Mythbusters marathon... Got a PS3 for Christmas, but don't feel like hooking it up here.

So, anyway, figured I'd update the project status/list...

I finished the Tyvek in the garage, added insulation to the attic, and a little to the garage. Figure it will get me by till Spring. I want to work in not on the garage in the Winter. I added a wood stove to the living room (major brownie points with the wife!), and installed new washer/dryer after the motor died in the dryer (which I was tired of fixing), it died just in time for me to score a set on Black Friday.

The BMW has moved to the chopping block, and weather permitting may get a new owner this weekend. The Lincoln will be coming to the house for a part out. Tranny will be going in a late 80's F150, 302HO will go on a stand (if the BMW is still around come Spring it will go back in line for the 5.0 transplant). I have convinced my sister to let me fix their Durango. It either has a blown head gasket or cracked head. It will then get sold, or the wife will drive it, and sell her Cherokee. This won't happen till Spring either though. The Belvedere is taking up one side of the garage, and I won't give up the other for daily driver until cold weather is gone. However, top of the list appears to be the Belvedere now. Tore off the driver's side head, and have decided to re-ring it, lap the valves and button it back up. I would really like to bore it, and go completely through it, however there are much more important needs for money, and if I wait till I can actually afford it, the car will have sat another couple years. If this doesn't work I'm only out time (which time in the garage with classic iron is never wasted) and a gasket/ring kit. The Buick will probably get a few little things done from time to time, but I MIGHT drop it from the insurance for a while, and just park it. I'm acquiring another El Camino (a good running '79), because I need a truck. This was also the reason for parting with the BMW. The Camino needs a lot of interior work, but other than missing some trim, and one spot of rust the exterior is pretty nice... I'm thinking long term this could be a lot of fun (think GNX truck)... I still have the '71 Camino, and not sure whether or not I want to get it running or sell it. Well, let me rephrase, not sure I want to take the time/money to get it running. '71 Camino has always been very near the top of my favorite all time classics... I've got big plans for it, just not big funds for it.

So, that's about it for me... sorry if you had to read all that... I'll go back to surfing...
Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:20 AM
Well, it looks as though I'll have another "iron" in the fire. Getting a Z coupe come Spring. Hey, at least it's another J. I'm pretty sure that the 3100 I have for the vert is going in the coupe unless I find a 3400 cheap instead.
Monday, December 28, 2009 5:31 PM
So there is a guy by me that has a 2 liter turbo engine with 80K on it for $200.

Thinking of creating my own insurance policy...

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:01 PM
Need to get back at the Neutral Safety switch on the bird. Just not so comfortable with the my head upside down...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search