84 skyhawk turbo noob - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 skyhawk turbo noob
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:38 PM
Bought a 84 skyhawk turbo with a bad oil leak...turbo was shot. Now I'm upgrading it with a 90 sunbird turbo, Its a little bigger and also water cooled. So far I've had to change the exhaust manifold to make it fit, but i also need a newer exhaust elbow, and a newer intake tube. Dealers don't have squat...kinda hard to find parts for these cars, can anyone point me in the right direction? Or must I fab this stuff up?
Thanks for any help,
Cheers,
Bruce

Re: 84 skyhawk turbo noob
Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:40 PM
I made a cold air intake for my 84.

You should be able to find an induction tube. I have an extra if you don't have any luck...

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:33 PM
The tube I need is from the air filter to the turbo, the original one is too small in diameter. I think what I need would be from a newer skyhawk or sunbird with a 2.0. Same with the cast iron exhaust elbow, I've got one, she just don't quite fit the same with the larger turbo. I'd like to use factory parts if possible, but so far no luck.
Thanks for your response,
Bruce
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:55 AM
gotcha.

Your 84 came stock with a plastic tube with a right angle at the bottom to go into the turbo (2.5 opening on the 84 if I remember right). Mine had the same, not a very efficient system for getting air in and definately prone to fatigue through heat cycling.

I made a new cold air intake to work with my 84 by purchasing some 3" tube and two silicone elbows. I routed mine through the space formerly occupied by the EVAP (EECS) canister. The key component was a 3" to 2.5" reducing elbow that I got off ebay. You could do something similar with your setup. Do you have the elbow going into the turbo? The 2.0 setup was much improved over the 1.8 in stock form, but you can get better flown by building something yourself.

I could take a pic of it installed if you would like to see it.

Regards,

Paul

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:05 AM
You guys got any pics of the turbo setup on these cars? I love seeing them.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:11 PM
Have a few on my cardomain page

Sunbird Cardomain

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:32 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:Have a few on my cardomain page

Sunbird Cardomain

Looks cool. I really like the intercooler setup.
Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:02 AM
just bought an elbow on e-bay, so I can build a new intake. I likes pics if you got em.
thanks,
Bruce
Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:15 AM
If your still looking for these parts I can take a look at my stash and see if I have what you need. I know there's a turbo and manifold, just don't know what all is still connected to it.

Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Saturday, November 21, 2009 8:40 PM
Thanks Jason, but I got her complete and emmisioned and on the road again.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search