Spent some time under the dash today (getting ready for PW) - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Spent some time under the dash today (getting ready for PW)
Friday, October 30, 2009 8:24 PM
and my back feels like a pretzel now...

I laid the driver's seat back, then got on my back with my feet on the back seat. I found the fuse box is missing a mounting screw, and that it is supposed to swing down for access, but the wiring harness is too tight, and won't let it come down very far. I found where the power lock relays are. I found, with the help of a Haynes and the owner's manual, that power windows and locks have "receptacles" on the back of the fuse box. Not sure where the power windows would have been grounded, but I can clip the connector off, add a ring terminal, and just ground it with any of the others on the dash frame. The fuse box was already setup for power windows with a breaker installed, so I was able to plug my harness in, and run my regulators up/down on the floor...

So, my only issue now is that (and I should have anticipated this) the window regulators are riveted in, and I don't have any rivets that big, or bolts that small. So, I'll have to see what I can get. I also need to lube the door lock linkage really good, and replace the outside door handles.

I also noticed what appears to be wiring for the switch for a rear window defroster. So, I'm wondering how much more would be needed if I replaced the back glass, and got a switch. (then I could use a double switch cubby hole) and I acquired the original fog lights over the weekend. They are pretty boogered up, beyond repair, but I really only wanted them for the wire harness connector. However, it doesn't appear the fog light circuit is working, so need to investigate that. Plus the switch is almost impossible to switch...

so, I think I made some progress, and learned a bit today.

Re: Spent some time under the dash today (getting ready for PW)
Sunday, November 01, 2009 1:00 PM
Good Job!

You don't learn anything by letting these cars sit. I can completely relate with the upside down on back on driver seat approach. I have to get back to my neutral safety switch...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search