CRAP! Power windows are different! - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
CRAP! Power windows are different!
Saturday, November 07, 2009 9:21 PM
Well, got everything torn down, drill out the rivets, pulled the old regulators, and they're different!! The manual regulators just have a single arm/roller. The power regulators have another pivoting arm with a roller at each end, and the mounts don't seem to line up at all with the manual mount holes...

I got the power parts from an '86 Pontiac convertible. I assumed that all 2 door J's were the same... Thoughts??????

Wayne, does your service manual have any pictures of the two setups? Any convertible owners or power window owners been inside their doors???

The only thing I accomplished is lubing the lock mechanism... at least I won't be breaking my key off anytime soon.

Re: CRAP! Power windows are different!
Sunday, November 08, 2009 4:07 PM
Well this explains why I was having such a hard time getting things to work--different stuff there.

Whoever had the car before me did much of the work themselves, but they were pretty sloppy about things. The door on my driver side isn't the factory door, and it wasn't originally PW. These people swapped stuff over and made some holes bigger among other things, but I guess everything wore out from years of use this way and now my window won't go up.

I'm thinking you had a harder time because you took stuff from a convertible. The doors seem to have some mods (or maybe that's just my perception). I remember many things being different--windshield frame among them.

I didn't see anything in my books about the door panels and what's behind them. There are a lot of questions I have about ripping apart the body, but nothing in my books. I'm starting to wonder if there was a 3rd book about the body itself.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search