84 1.8 ohc timing belt question - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
84 1.8 ohc timing belt question
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:34 PM
Greetings,

Have a 1984 sunbird 2000 1.8 liter with ohc no turbo. Does anyone know ((for sure)) if this an interference engine. I.e if the timing belt breaks is there a possibility of valves hitting pistons etc??

Thanks for your help!

Duf

Re: 84 1.8 ohc timing belt question
Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:37 PM

Yes it is....things will go bump in the night.
Friday, November 20, 2009 4:46 AM
Wonderful--those crazy Brazilians!

Now I'll have to see about changing mine since I don't know how old it is--not looking forward to that at all.
Friday, November 20, 2009 5:53 AM

Piece of cake Wayne, and do the water pump while you're in there ! Don't blame the Brazilians.... it's an Opel engine, from der Deutschland :>
Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:04 AM
Them engines are easy to do timing belts in, get a manual and follow the steps

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:49 AM
Thanks people for all your help and comments. Steps are underway to replace it. We have the shop manual and it doesn't look too bad, the worst being taking off the crankshaft pully.
Friday, December 04, 2009 3:51 PM
I am curious bout the interference because I have a turbo 1.8 that i rebuilt and I know its not interference fit because I could rotate the crank with no problem with the head on it but without the timing belt, and the engine is running today. If the 1.8 non-turbo is in fact an interference fit motor then that means the cam on the non-turbo must have a higher lift, and if thats the case is it crazy to assume you can use that same camshaft in a turbo motor for a high-lift cam? just an idea......
Friday, December 04, 2009 6:33 PM
I think it is a non-interference. I did find that info on a website about timing belts whre they list engines and what is and is not interference. I gave the manual a pretty good look and could not find even a mention of the issue. Under warnings and maintenance, it was not even listed. The manual did says something like replace every 60k so this baby is definitely due.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search