Can't Believe I Didn't Ask This One Yet - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can't Believe I Didn't Ask This One Yet
Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:43 PM
So I must not be the only one here annoyed when I spill fluids while working on the car...

When changing the oil on my old Hawk, with a 2.0, I remember I used to turn the wheels to the left, then drain the pan without jacking up the car, and from the right side behind the wheel, I could reach the oil filter. This worked great and I never spilled anything.

With this car, it has a 1.8, and the filter seems to be in a bad place. I can still reach it from the side, but I have to remove a piece in the wheel well. My old car didn't have what I'm guessing is a splashguard, and the old one was an '84 this is an '85.

The problem I have is that when I remove the oil filter, oil drops out and runs all over the (for lack of a better term) frame.

What do you guys with 1.8s do?

Re: Can't Believe I Didn't Ask This One Yet
Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:10 PM
Hmmm... I feel stupid, in that I can't remember. Seems like I still end up getting it on the frame, but just wipe it off... Too many vehicles to change oil in... Now that you mention it, I think it's time to change the Jeep's oil...
Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:02 AM
I have many fond memories of removing the fender well piece to get to my oil filter .

I think mounting the oil filter right over the subframe was GM's way of cheap rust protection. lmao!

--------------------------------------------

1990 Pontiac Sunbird // 1995 Beretta Base
Monday, November 09, 2009 4:25 PM
My car has > 300,000 miles on it. The inner wheel well piece is long gone.
No rust on the right A-arm at all as oil runds right onto it.
Monday, November 09, 2009 4:42 PM
My 84 Hawk didn't have that piece either, but I'm guessing it wasn't put back on after a repair job done after an accident with the car before I bought it.
Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:29 PM
Well I for cannot complain with my 2.0 oil filter location.It is right on the back of the block below the intake manifold and easy to remove and clean up any excess(sweet).

Monday, November 16, 2009 7:08 PM
A piece of foil that empties into the oil pan and punch a small hole in the filter (better than having the oil spill out at once).
Thursday, November 19, 2009 3:10 PM
I oil my frame every 3000 miles

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search