Post a before, after, or current state pic of your 1st gen. - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Post a before, after, or current state pic of your 1st gen.
Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:28 PM
I have seen this on other forums and thought it'd be interresting to see some here, especially since I haven't seen everyones. I know I haven't gotten far with mine, but.....
When I first got it in late '90 from a place in TN. .....

Bought it back in '07 from the junkyard....

Current state......

Lets see yours. I'm itchin' to see'em.

Re: Post a before, after, or current state pic of your 1st gen.
Friday, November 27, 2009 12:01 PM
You have no idea how much I want to find a Z grill and wing argh!!!!!!!

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Friday, November 27, 2009 12:25 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:You have no idea how much I want to find a Z grill and wing argh!!!!!!!

I hear ya. I want a factory Z24 spoiler too and not the Sunbird one.

Wait a minute. You posted without a pic! What gives? Don't be a tease.
Friday, November 27, 2009 12:30 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:You have no idea how much I want to find a Z grill and wing argh!!!!!!!

Hey, check with this guy on v6z24....."chevyz24dave". He has a thread started there about "dead j's" (junkyard pics). He showed two first gen Z's and both had the what you need. Wish I could get some stuff off of them too.

Here's the link...... http://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/dead-j-body-thread-t111297.html
Saturday, November 28, 2009 6:16 PM
I've been registered on this site since '05. I can't be sure but, i think this is my first post!

Anyway, as sad as it is, this is the current state of my '86 Z24. I held on as long as I could but, I have to admit to myself that I'm never going to do anything with it. It's going to waste and I've decided to part it out. Maybe it's demise will mean another will live.

That picture is from a couple of days ago. I've moved the car and the wheels are off (pending sale) . She's sitting on blocks now...
Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:20 PM
Before:

After:

My Cardomain page :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2536425

Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:13 PM
zwrench wrote:I've been registered on this site since '05. I can't be sure but, i think this is my first post!

Anyway, as sad as it is, this is the current state of my '86 Z24. I held on as long as I could but, I have to admit to myself that I'm never going to do anything with it. It's going to waste and I've decided to part it out. Maybe it's demise will mean another will live.

That picture is from a couple of days ago. I've moved the car and the wheels are off (pending sale) . She's sitting on blocks now...

Man, that thing looks to be a solid car. Wish I was close enough to you to take it off of your hands.
Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:18 PM
Künstler,

That four door turned out nice. I see a 2.0 badge on the decklid. Any future plans for an engine upgrade?
Monday, November 30, 2009 4:24 AM
I actually don't have a computer, (use of one at college) but I have some cardomain pages : D if you don't mind getting a lil side tracked take a look : )

1982 j2000
1982 cimarron
1983 cimarron
1987 cavalier
1990 wagon
2002 cav
I know that two of these are not first gens but they serve a before pic anyhoo. the '87 and the '83 are no more... for now.
Monday, November 30, 2009 4:10 PM
Sweet Cimarron's, Aaron. I remember seeing that '87 on cardomain before.
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:07 PM
I think you guys are prolly sick of seeing pics of my car. I will try and find some before shots of when the possum made a den under the hood. That had to be the low point for sure. Little bugger chewed on everything.

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:13 PM
Paul94Z28 wrote:I think you guys are prolly sick of seeing pics of my car. I will try and find some before shots of when the possum made a den under the hood. That had to be the low point for sure. Little bugger chewed on everything.

No way, Paul. I never get tired of seeing j-bodies. Post away please.
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:00 PM
. The original owners bought it from Betly Chevrolet in Derry NH in the spring of 1985. My wife and I bought it ($6,500) from them in 1986 and have owned it ever since. The car has only seen that first winter and was rarely driven in rain for the first 10 years we owned it and it has not seen rain since 1997. It was totaled in 1992 and rebuilt by a local auto body shop after we bought it back from the insurance company. Just this last year we started to replace worn or dull chrome and have replaced the rims with restored ones and had the worn paint on the hood and trunk repainted.. I have a new top that needs to be installed and am always looking for parts. It has about 157,000 miles on the original motor and 5 SPD tranny. Has mostly original external and internal engine parts but the seals are going so she leaks just about every fluid that flows. She has never left us stranded anywhere and really is a blast to drive with the 5 Speed. I also own an 84 Eldorado convertible, but we prefer to drive the Cavi now that my kids do not want come along for rides. By the way I have owned 3 J cars that were new (87 4dr Cavi, 94 2dr Sunbird and 90 2dr Cavi) and 2 used ones. John Masson

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:25 PM
Quote:

I see a 2.0 badge on the decklid. Any future plans for an engine upgrade?

I don't know, the engine runs perfectly right now and I don't want to mess with it,
sometimes I wish I had a bit more power , but that's just for fun, the way it is now
if perfect for city driving.

Super nice convertible John, did you keep the original color ?
My car used to have those rims but I change them for 15" several years ago.

My Cardomain page :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2536425

Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:48 PM
WOW!!! Excelent looking vert, John.*THUMBSUP* I wish my Z was as cherry.
Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:50 PM
Kuenstler wrote:
Quote:

I see a 2.0 badge on the decklid. Any future plans for an engine upgrade?

I don't know, the engine runs perfectly right now and I don't want to mess with it,
sometimes I wish I had a bit more power , but that's just for fun, the way it is now
if perfect for city driving.

It would make a good sleeper.
Saturday, December 05, 2009 4:07 PM
C'mon, guys......there's got to be more here.
Saturday, December 05, 2009 6:48 PM
Thanks, Car is 100% stock except for paint and front clip that got totaled in 92 (replaced with all GM replacement parts). Also the clutch was done at about 60k. It has the original water pump, starter and alternator (amazing for a Cavalier). The car came with these rims and in this blue color. It is good to see that there are more people out there who love the little jbody and will preserve them. They are still cheap to get and parts are cheap too.
OLD ORCHARD BEACH MAINE 2006

Saturday, December 05, 2009 7:33 PM
Current state - looking for before pics.

Saturday, December 05, 2009 10:40 PM
Are those original factory, custom, or later model two tone seats?
Sunday, December 06, 2009 9:52 AM
Hey Paul!! Someone posted this car from CL on another forum. Check it out....

1985 Sunbird GT Turbo

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/1472356935.html

Sunday, December 06, 2009 10:24 AM
those looks like seats from a berretta, possibly dyed

Sunday, December 06, 2009 3:26 PM
Well, here's what she looked like when I got her...

and here she is now...

I've added the arm rest, BFG's, nose emblem, new fuel pump, tune-up, thermostat and temp switches, MAP sensor, coil, sway bar bushings and end links, CD player (Would love to add AUX IN to the factory tape deck)...

Near future upgrades:
replace the K on the backup lights (already have it, just haven't got around to putting it on)
power windows with one touch up/down (thought I had this ready to go, but my regulators are different)
keyless entry
new ignition cylinder and door locks
new turn signal/wiper/cruise switch
Grant steering wheel (may put this in the Camino instead, and/or get a new one for the Buick)
fog lights (came with factory fogs, but they got all banged up, and the circuit/switch don't seem to be working)

Long term upgrades:
new, more modern wheels... maybe a bit bigger
lower it, and maybe remove the ugly front spoiler piece (new shocks and struts)
tint the winows
upgrade the sound system with hopefully the factory tape deck and AUX IN
recover the seats/door panels/arm rest
new carpet
replace the few little trim pieces that are damaged or missing
HID headlights and maybe fogs
new steering rack
rebuild all the suspension (not bad now, but it's 25 years old)
repaint (paint is only 3 years old, but something about it just looks dull) might go with a different color...
Get rid of the luggage rack and add a small lip spoiler
TURBO or possibly V6

I was thinking about taking it to some show next Spring, but may let the registration/insurance go. Will probably be tagging one of the Caminos, and don't feel like spending the money on 4 vehicles right now... but who knows. We've been talking about finding a different insurance carrier, and might find a better deal that would let me keep all 4 (5 when I get the Belvedere running again) on the road.
Tuesday, December 08, 2009 2:26 PM
^Nice and solid. Really like that its a less common 1rst gen at that!

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:37 PM
Paul-

The entire interior on my 84 was purchased off eBay a couple of years ago (seats, door panels, rear panels) for about $120. It is out of an 86 Sunbird Convertible. A shade off from the stock color for my year, but I am making it work. The 86 had 10K miles when it was wrecked. The interior is like new. It was my best eBay find to date. I replaced the carpet with aftermarket. For about $300, my interior was like new - including pedal pads and a new steering wheel.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search