Oil Separator on Early Turbos - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil Separator on Early Turbos
Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:30 AM
Hi Fellow J Fans-

I warned you in my previous post...

I am chasing an oil leak on my car and an looking into anything that carries oil as a suspect...

I was looking at some schematics on my 1.8 and the stock ones came with a device called and air/oil separator. Mine was removed when I had the engine replaced in 92. Are these necessary for anything or just another example of over-engineering on the initial year of a new technology?

Alan?

Re: Oil Separator on Early Turbos
Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:04 PM

Paul.... cars under 27" of snow, shop has a 34" drift all around it

so I can't get to my manuals. In your info, is this the seperator/crankcase vent that's

inside the cam cover, by any chance?

Alan
Wednesday, December 23, 2009 8:39 AM
Alan-

In the schematic, it appears to be a can that sits to the side/rear of the driver side of the cylinder head.

I don't have one now, so thats all I have to go on.

Paul

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:47 AM
Paul, ok so the line into originates where, and returns to where? Or is the pic as bad as all the rest usually are :>
Monday, December 28, 2009 5:48 PM
Originates from back of engine and drains into dipstick tube...

Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:08 PM
Paul looked at both my turbo engines and heres what we have.

Turbo engines used a double pipe attachment, that bolts on front side of the blocks, just above oil pan rail.

One tube is for the dipstick only. Other is for adding oil only.

There are 2 oil seperators inside the cam covers. One is for the distributor and the other
is at the cam belt end. Small fiber filters.

There is also a small valve/filter inline with the vacuum source for the brake booster.

I have GM parts & shop manuals from '82 to '88. I checked every engine that was ever in a J.
No oil seperator listed or shown.

Perhaps it's one of those ghost parts that pops up once in a while. Wayne on here had a question on his & I showed him exactly what those twin tubes looked like, while he was visiting me.

Alan
Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:57 PM
Yeah, there's a 5/8" rubber hose from the valve cover to those tubes, a real PITA to get in there.

My hose was bad and leaking, the metal twin tubes were so caked with oil that I thought they were rubber like radiator hose. Then Motorman showed me the way...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search