How would you build my T-Type? - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How would you build my T-Type?
Friday, December 25, 2009 5:54 PM
Ok, if you read my other thread you'll know I'm bored... So, just thinking about the Skyhawk, and what I would like to do with it. I've got a good idea of where I want to go with it, and have lately been thinking about a new twist. Convertible! I love convertibles. I currently own two, both of which are out of commission (hopefully for not too much longer).

So, my thoughts, which I think I've posted in other threads, but I'm bored, and just downloaded paint.net, so might try to mock something up. Although, I left my mouse at home, and touch pads suck for photo editing...

First would be to paint it black, while removing the luggage rack, and adding a small lip spoiler similar too (if not using) the Z24 spoiler. I would then tint the windows, add black lace wheels with polished lip and have the interior reupholstered. I love the stock T-Type interior and see no need to change anything (now that I've added the armrest). I would put the tape deck back in, and add an auxiliary input for MP3, and upgrade all the speakers, maybe a small tasteful sub in the trunk. I would also lower the car, and remove the front underspoiler lip thing, add the foglights I have using the factory switch/wiring. I'd also like to add a rear defrost window with the factory switch and add a cubby hole, getting rid of the useless cassette holder. Headlights would get swapped out with H4 housings and HID's, probably upgrade fogs too. Next completely rebuild the suspension, powdercoating everything as I go. Probably upgrade the brakes/lines. I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Of course I would do a full restoration on everything... And to top it all off swap out the 1.8L TBI for a 2.0 Turbo! There you have it. My baby GNX. If I only I had the cash, I would get started as soon as I got home... Although, this is the direction I plan to take the car over time. I need to get the Belvedere back up, and the Durango back on the road, then... The Buick gets some attention... There's no rush on parting the Lincoln, well, once the tranny is out.

Also, thinking all this might be a sweet look for a convertible Skyhawk. I figure it wouldn't be too hard to find a convertible J with a good body, and swap everything over. I think a convertible 'Hawk would be sweet...

Okay, so just curious what everyone else would do with my Skyhawk, if it was theirs...

Re: How would you build my T-Type?
Friday, December 25, 2009 7:17 PM
2.0 turbo swap, low as poo, chin spoiler, low offset wheels, done.

Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:12 AM
Eibach springs, PST polygraphite suspension upgrade, 2.0T, LED taillights, turnsignals, crosslace rims. Keep the silver but get rid of the red pinstripe, get rid of luggage rack for a small spoiler.

Thats the cleanest Skyhawk I've seen in a long time. does it even have a spot of rust? My cousin had one of the turbo T types.

Saturday, December 26, 2009 5:58 AM
Keep it as is with at the very most adding tint and a drop.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:13 AM
Well, you asked.

I agree with everything you said except turning it into a vert. Keep it a coupe and drop it with a suspension kit, '92+brakes with X-drilled rotors, and a rear disk swap.
If you're going to keep it turbo, how about doing the 3400 with a turbo? I know, it's been done, but you'll be making more power. I do understand wanting to go with the 2.0 turbo though.
Black.....on black.......on black. Either the lace wheels or stay with a set of five stars, but in 16" or 17".
Body mods:
Trunk spoiler and fab up a lower valance for the nose, something like the Z24, but slightly different. Remove the center belt line trim. It suprisingly cleans up the apperance of these cars.

Like Forrest Gump......that's all I got to say about that.
Monday, December 28, 2009 5:47 PM
Opinions...

I had a friend that had an 86 Buick Somerset T-Type with Silver over Charcoal Grey exterior. I always thought that was a sweet combo. I like the lace wheels, was actually thinking of those for my bird. There is a guy in Toledo that has a real clean set of Fiero wheels that I may go with. Lose the rack and go with a Sunbird spoiler - sorry, I am partial... You could replace the rack with a black one if you want to keep it. I like the belt trim, lose the pinstripe. Brake Upgrades or cleanups like I did and the suspension cleanup - makes a huge difference.

Get a 2.5" mandrel bent catback off of a Cavalier Z24, well worth it, no matter what engine you go with.

Now that I think about it, that 3.0 liter out of that 86 Somerset was pretty balsy, maybe find one of those and keep it Buick?

As far as the radio goes, keep the stock head unit and get a FM Modulated input for your MP3, I am doing that instead of drilling into my headunit. I have a small Kenwood powered sub in my trunk and it does the job. I replaced and crossed over the fronts and the rear speakers. Puts many new car systems to shame.

The headlights - believe it or not they have both halo and projector setups to fit those lights, I was looking at those, as well as possibly doing the 89 Monte Carlo lights on mine for a different look. I actually like em the way they are though

Monday, January 04, 2010 10:07 AM
Closer,

Do you have any underhood shots of your T-type? Wood love to see them.
Monday, January 04, 2010 10:09 AM
I typed "wood" instead of "would". How embarrassing.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search