Turbo Ignition Upgrade - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo Ignition Upgrade
Sunday, December 20, 2009 9:15 AM
Have any of you upgraded your ignitions on the turbo cars to MSD or equivalent units? I have hear claims of 3 MPG highway improvement when an MSD is applied to a v8. Any thoughts what we might see with our 4 bangers? 1.5 MPG improvement? Just wondering if anyone has contemplated this.

I am off until the 3rd so there may be a few more of these type of threads, apologies in advance

Re: Turbo Ignition Upgrade
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 6:44 PM
Hey I've thought about this too.
MSD makes a MSD 6AL and ignition Coil.
They are expensive, but the 6AL has some different things inside it and its all just plug and play.
I may do this once i get my turbo build together.
Maybe it'll help gas mileage since the spark will be alittle better, but the stock ignition is pretty stout from what i've heard
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:06 PM
Paul, unless you're going with some hi-psi or squeeze, the stock ignitions should do a good.

The "should" part includes very good stock ignition components, and a set of hipo wires.

Must remember when going hi boost or squeeze the mixture is much more dense, and harder to light off & keep lit. Add to that the use of higher octane fuel which in itself slows down the flame front.

Alan
Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:09 PM
I am looking at the 6AL setup on my Camaro to run a rpm switch for a shift light and take advantage of the soft touch rev control. I was reading 3 MPG improvement on highway for the LT1. I will put it to the test.

It may be better to do the cheaper 6A, harness, and coil for the LA5. I have a new distributor, newer wires, and plugs. Not rushing into anything, just looking at options.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search